This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Formula SAE Frame Torsional Stiffness Study using FEA
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 30, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Formula SAE competition has the purpose to stimulate the engineering students to work in teams to develop a concept, design and build small racing vehicles. In this competition, students are motivated to build a high performance car, reliable and with low development cost. The success of the team in the competition is determined with a detailed analysis of all aspects involved.
Considering the frame development, some key points must be considered for the structural performance: stiffness, durability, modal and safety response. This papers focus on the stiffness analysis to verify if the frame torsional stiffness is compatible with the respective suspension for the level of performance required.
The study was performed using the frame of 2012 Formula SAE from Instituto Mauá de Tecnologia using beam elements to model the frame structure in a FEA (Finite Elements Model) software to simulate the system stiffness. The vehicle mass and CG properties to support the studies were obtained in laboratory measurements. The FEA calculated frame torsional stiffness was then compared to the suspension stiffness using analytical methods, making it possible to assess the compatibility between the frame and the suspension. This compatibility was checked in terms of an objective criteria based on the comparison of the roll stiffness distribution versus lateral load transfer distribution. Finally, these results led to the correct identification of the balance between the stiffness values of the frame and suspension for the vehicle proposed, allowing potential improvements for the frame structure in terms of mass and cost.
|Book||Race Car Vehicle Dynamics|
|Technical Paper||Loads Analysis and Optimization of FSAE Race Car Frame|
CitationCosta, J. and Vilela, D., "Formula SAE Frame Torsional Stiffness Study using FEA," SAE Technical Paper 2014-36-0234, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-36-0234.
- SAMPO , Enrico ; SORNITTI , Aldo ; CROCOMBE , Andrew Chassis Torsional Stiffness: Analysis of theInfluence on Vehicle Dynamics CONGRESS 2010 SAE Canada Surrey ChassisTorsional Stiffness Surrey SAE Paper 2010-01-0094 2010
- DEAKIN , Andrew et al. The Effect of Chassis Stiffness on Race Car Handling Balance 2000 SAE MOTORSPORTS ENGINEERING CONFERENCE & EXPOSITION 2000 Dearborn The Effect of Chassis Stiffness on Race Car Handling Balance Dearborn SAE Paper 2000-01-3554 2000
- BOTOSSO , Antonio Carlos Desenvolvimento Preliminar de Estrutura Tubular para Veículo de Fabricação Artesanal 2010 75 Trabalho de Formatura (Superior) Departamento de Engenharia Mecânica, Escola Politécnica da Universidade de São Paulo São Paulo 2010
- RILEY , William B. ; GEORGE , Albert R. Design, Analysis and Testing of a Formula SAE Car Chassis 2002 SAE MOTORSPORTS ENGINEERING CONFERENCE AND EXHIBITION 2002 Indianapolis Design, Analysis and Testing of a Formula SAE Car Chassis Indianapolis SAE Paper 2002-01-3300 2002
- VILELA , Daniel Aplicação de métodos numéricos de otimização ao problema conjunto da dirigibilidade e conforto veicular 2010 320 Tese (Doutorado) Departamento de Engenharia Mecatrônica e de Sistemas Mecânicos II, Universidade de São Paulo São Paulo 2010
- COSTA , João Augusto Estudo da Rigidez Torcional do Quadro de um Formula SAE por Análise de Elementos Finitos 2012 57 Trabalho de Formatura (Pós-graduação) Instituto Mauá de Tecnologia São Paulo 2010