This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Comparison between Real and Virtual Strain Gauges: A Method to Calibrate Finite Element Models Based on Real Measurements
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 30, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Real and virtual testing are extensively used tools in the product development cycle. Efficiency improvement demands on this development process, like cost and time reduction, usually presume the combination of testing with simulation even on the design stage of the component. This study aimed to demonstrate an example of how real measurements can be used as feedback loops in computer-aided engineering (CAE) analysis. For this purpose, a truck's suspension component, instrumented with strain gauges on its hotspots, has been tested in a proving ground track located in Brazil. Using nCode Designlife™ 9.0, virtual strain gauges have been placed in the component's finite element model and, with the measured forces inputs, theirs results were compared to the correspondents gauges on the real component. Despite the need for more studies, the comparison between real and virtual strain gauges suggested that this could be an efficient method to calibrate numeric models regarding its different variables, as force inputs, boundary conditions and material properties.
|Technical Paper||Suspension Strain Correlation Using Flex Bodies in MBD|
|Technical Paper||Utilization of MotionView for Automotive Strength and Durability Analysis - Application and Correlation|
CitationLarocca, A., Rose, B., Kubo, P., and Cararo, G., "Comparison between Real and Virtual Strain Gauges: A Method to Calibrate Finite Element Models Based on Real Measurements," SAE Technical Paper 2014-36-0160, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-36-0160.
- Shih , S. , Bennett , J. , Baldwin , S. , Basas , J. et al. Product Development Cycle Time Reduction with FEA - A New Consideration SAE Technical Paper 982805 1998 10.4271/982805
- Wen J. Virtual Prototyping in Redesign and Durability Test Assessment SAE Int. J Mater. Manf. 1 1 441 449 2009 10.4271/2008-01-0862
- Milburn , T. The New Product Development Paradigm Led by Simulation and Testing SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2667 2004 10.4271/2004-01-2667
- Wen , J. FEA Modeling Verification and Validation: Correlating Model with Test Data by Optimization Analysis SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1745 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1745
- Downling , N. E. Mechanical behaviour of materials: engineering method for deformation, fracture and fatigue 4 Pearson New Jersey 2012