This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Engine Performance and Emissions of a Small Diesel Engine Fueled with Various Diesel/RME Blends
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 11, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The present paper describes the results of an experimental activity performed on a small diesel engine for quadricycles, a category of vehicles that is spreading in Europe and is recently spreading over Indian countries. The engine is a prototype three-cylinder with 1000 cc of displacement and it is equipped with a direct common-rail injection system that reaches a maximum pressure of 1400 bar. The engine was designed to comply with Euro 4 emission standard that is a future regulation for quadricycles. It is worth underlining that the engine can meet emission limits just with EGR system and a DOC, without DPF. Various diesel/RME blends were tested; pure diesel and biodiesel fuels were also used. The investigation was carried out at the engine speeds of 1400, 2000 and 3400 rpm and full load. Combustion characteristics of both blended and pure RME were analyzed by means of in-cylinder pressure and heat released histories. A smoke meter was used to determine the particulate matter concentration. The sizing and the counting of the particles were performed in the range 5.6-560 nm. Gaseous emissions were measured at the exhaust. Lower exhaust emissions were measured when the engine runs with pure RME with respect to diesel fuel in terms of CO, HC, NOx, PM and particle number. From the analysis of the data it can be argued that a proper engine calibration could further optimize the combustion process and emission formation when the engine is fueled with RME blends.
CitationDi Iorio, S., Magno, A., Mancaruso, E., Vaglieco, B. et al., "Engine Performance and Emissions of a Small Diesel Engine Fueled with Various Diesel/RME Blends," SAE Technical Paper 2014-32-0135, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-32-0135.
- Directive 2009/28/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council on the promotion of the use of energy from renewable sources, Official Journal of the European Union, 23 April 2009, 5.6.2009: L 140/16.
- Lu, T., Cheung, C.S., Huang, Z., “Investigation on Particulate Oxidation from a DI Diesel Engine Fueled with Three Fuels”, Aerosol Science and Technology. 46:1349-1358, 2012.
- Anderson, L.G., “Effects of Biodiesel Fuels Use on Vehicle Emissions”, Journal of Sustainable Energy & Environment. 3: 35-47, 2012.
- Canakci, M., “Combustion characteristics of a turbocharged DI compression ignition engine fuelled with petroleum diesel fuels and biodiesel”, Bioresource Technology. 98: 1167-1175, 2007.
- Wang, X., Cheung, C.S., Di, Y., Huang, Z., “Diesel engine gaseous and particle emissions fuelled with diesel-oxygenate blends”, Fuel 94: 317-323, 2012.
- Hassaneen, A., Munack, A., Ruschel, Y., Schroeder, O. et al., “Fuel economy and emission characteristics of Gas-to-Liquid (GTL) and Rapeseed Methyl Ester (RME) as alternative fuels for diesel engines”, Fuel. 97: 125-130, 2012.
- Chuepeng, S., Xu, H., Tsolakis, A., Wyszynski, M., Price, P., “Particulate Matter size distribution in the exhaust gas of a modern diesel Engine fuelled with a biodiesel blend”. 35: 4280-4289, 2011.
- Pope, C.A. and Dockery, D.W., “Health Effects of Fine Particulate Air Pollution: Lines that Connect”, Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association. 56(6): 709-742, 2006.
- Palash, S.M., Kalam, M.A., Masjuki, H.H., Masum, B.M. et al., “Impacts of biodiesel combustion on NOx emissions and their reduction approaches”, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 23: 473-490, 2013.
- Tompkins, B.T., Song, H., Bittle, J.A., Jacobs, T.J., “Efficiency considerations for the use of blended biofuels in diesel engine”, Applied Energy. 98: 209-218, 2012.
- Armas, O., Gomez, A., Ramos, A., “Comparative study of pollutant emissions from engine starting with animal fat biodiesel and GTL fuels”, Fuel. 113: 560-570, 2013.
- Mancaruso, E., Vaglieco, B.M., “Premixed combustion of GTL and RME fuels in a single cylinder research engine”, Applied Energy. 91: 385-394, 2011.
- Kousoulidou, M., Fontaras, G., Ntziachristos, L., Samaras, Z., “Biodiesel blend effects on common-rail diesel combustion and emissions”, Fuel. 89: 3442-3449, 2010.
- Buyukkaya, E., “Effect of biodiesel on a DI diesel engine performance, emission and combustion characteristics”, Fuel. 89: 3099-3105, 2010.
- Imran, S., Emberson, D.R., Wen, D.S., Diez, A. et al. “Performance and specific emissions contours of a diesel and RME fuelled compression-ignition engine throughout its operating speed and power”, Applied Energy. 111: 771-777, 2013.
- Wang, X., Ge, Y., Yu, L., Feng, X., “Comparison of combustion characteristics and brake thermal efficiency of a heavy-duty diesel engine fuelled with diesel and biodiesel at high altitude”, Fuel. 107: 852-858, 2013.
- Lapuerta, M., Armas, O., Rodriguez-Fernandez, J., “Effect of biodiesel fuels on diesel engine emissions”, Progress in Energy and Combustion Science. 34: 198-223, 2008.
- Rajasekar, E., Selvi, S., “Review of combustion characteristics of CI engines fuelled with biodiesel”, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 35: 390-399, 2014.
- Ozener, O., Yuksek, L., Ergenc, A.T., Ozkan, M., “Effects of soybean biodiesel on a DI diesel engine performance, emission and combustion characteristics”, Fuel. 115: 875-883, 2014.
- Lesnik, L., Iljaz, J., Hribernik, A., Kegl, B., “Numerical and experimental study of combustion, performance and emission characteristics of a heavy-duty DI diesel engine running on diesel, biodiesel and their blends”, Energy Conversion and Management. 81: 534-546, 2014.
- Di Iorio, S., Beatrice, C., Guido, C., Napolitano, P. et al., “Impact of Biodiesel on Particle Emissions and DPF Regeneration Management in a Euro5 Automotive Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0839, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0839.
- Heywood, J.B., “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals”, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1988.
- Canakci, M., Sanli, H., “Biodiesel production from various feedstocks and their effects on the fuel properties”, Journal of Industrial Microbiology & Biotechnology. 35: 431-441, 2008.
- Kittelson, D.B., Watts, W.F. and Johnson, J.P., “On-road and laboratory evaluation of combustion aerosols-Part1: Summary of diesel engine results”, Journal of Aerosol Science. 37: 913-930, 2006.
- Pinzi, S., Rounce, P., Herreros, J.M., Tsolakis, A., Dorado, M.P., “The effect of biodiesel fatty acid composition on combustion and diesel engine exhaust emissions”, Fuel. 104: 170-182, 2013.