This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Acoustic Assessment in a Small Displacement Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 11, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the last years, the increasing concern for the environmental issues of IC engines has promoted the development of new strategies capable of reducing both pollutant emissions in atmosphere and noise radiation.
Engines can produce different types of noise: 1) aerodynamic noise due to intake and exhaust systems and 2) surface radiated noise. Identification and analysis of noise sources are essential to evaluate the individual contribution (injection, combustion, piston slap, turbocharger, oil pump, valves) to the overall noise with the aim of selecting appropriate control strategies.
Previous paper focused on the combustion related noise emission. The research activity aimed at diagnosing and controlling the combustion process via acoustic measurements. The optimal placement of the microphone was selected, where the signal was strongly correlated to the in-cylinder pressure development during the combustion process. Analysis and processing of the sound emission allowed the acoustic contribution of the combustion event to be isolated. Some indices capable of relating the combustion noise radiation back to the combustion development were defined.
This paper presents an experimental activity devoted to analyze the entire noise generation process of a small displacement diesel engine. The purpose was to identify the contribution of the different sources (mechanical, combustion, fluid dynamic) to the overall emission. The methodology here proposed analyze the specific signature in the frequency domain of each source. The final objective was to use the microphone signal acquired in a proper selected location, to obtain indications about the effective strategies to achieve noise reduction.
The repetitiveness of the measurements was guaranteed by a network encircling the engine. Microphones were placed in different positions and tests were performed in the complete engine operative field. In the paper, the experimental set-up is described, the methodology is presented. Results are then shown and discussed.
CitationChiatti, G., Recco, E., Chiavola, O., and Conforto, S., "Acoustic Assessment in a Small Displacement Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2014-32-0129, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-32-0129.
- Suh , I. Application of Time-Frequency Representation Techniques to the Impact-Induced Noise and Vibration from Engines SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0453 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0453
- Albarbar A , Gu F , Ball A D. Diesel engine fuel injection monitoring using acoustic measurements and independent component analysis Measurements 2010 43 1376 1386
- Albarbar A. Diesel Engine Air-borne Acoustic Signals Analysis Using Continuous Wavelet Transform Advances in Applied Acoustics (AIAAS) 2013 2 3 77 82
- Carlucci , P. , Ficarella , A. , and Laforgia , D. Study of the Influence of the Injection Parameters on Combustion Noise in a Common Rail Diesel Engine Using ANOVA and Neural Networks SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2011 2001 10.4271/2001-01-2011
- Shahlari , A. , Hocking , C. , Kurtz , E. , and Ghandhi , J. Comparison of Compression Ignition Engine Noise Metrics in Low-Temperature Combustion Regimes SAE Int. J. Engines 6 1 541 552 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1659
- Jung , I. , Jin , J. , So , H. , Nam , C. et al. An Advanced Method for Developing Combustion Noise through the Analysis of Diesel Combustion SAE Int. J. Engines 6 2 1379 1385 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1901
- Desantes , J. , Torregrosa , A. , and Broatch , A. Wavelet Transform applied to Combustion Noise Analysis in High-speed DI Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1545 2001 10.4271/2001-01-1545
- Wang , S. , Chalu , C. , Duclaux , N. , and Paquien , M. Noise Optimization of Diesel Engines with New Combustion Systems SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 2 1 1387 1395 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2081
- Fattah IMR , Masjuki H H , Liaquat A M , Ramli R , Kalam M A , Riazuddin V N. Impact of various biodiesel fuels obtained from edible and non-edible oils on engine exhaust gas and noise emissions Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 2013 18 552 567
- Pruvost L , Leclere Q , Parizet E. Diesel engine combustion and mechanical noise separation using an improved spectrofilter Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 2009 23 2072 2087
- Antoni J , Ducleaux N , NGhiem G , Wang S. Separation of combustion noise in IC engines under cyclo-non-stationary regime Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 2013 38 223 236
- Payri F , Broatch A , Tormos B , Marant V. New methodology for in-cylinder pressure analysis in direct injection diesel engines - application to combustion noise Measurement Science and Technology 2005 16 540 547
- Chiavola , O. , Chiatti , G. , and Recco , E. Analysis of the Relationship between Noise Emission and In-Cylinder Pressure in a Small Displacement Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1364 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1364
- Gu , F. , Li , W. , Ball , A. , and Leung , A. The Condition Monitoring of Diesel Engines Using Acoustic Measurements Part 1: Acoustic Characteristics of the Engine and Representation of the Acoustic Signals SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0730 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0730
- Ball , A. , Gu , F. , and Li , W. The Condition Monitoring of Diesel Engines Using Acoustic Measurements Part 2: Fault Detection and Diagnosis SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0368 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0368
- Payri F , Torregrosa A J , Payri R. Evaluation through pressure and mass velocity distributions of the linear acoustical description of IC engine exhaust systems Applied Acoustics 2000 60 489 504
- Han , H. , Park , C. , Heo , J. , and Kang , S. Muffler Sound Development Using Analysis of Acoustic Source of Engine Exhaust System SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0026 2014 10.4271/2014-01-0026
- Andersen , K. and Liu , F. Transfer Matrix Coupling Approach for Predicting the Acoustic Performance of a Complete Aftertreatment Exhaust System SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2056 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2056
- Hynninen , A. and Abom , M. Acoustic Simulation of Medium Speed IC-Engine Exhaust Gas After Treatment Devices with Substrate SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2057 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2057
- Chiatti G , Chiavola O , Recco E. Combustion diagnosis via block vibration signal in common rail diesel engine International Journal of Engine Research 2014 15 654 663
- Stankovic L , Bhme J F. Time-frequency analysis of multiple resonances in combustion engine signals Signal Processing 1999 79 15 28