This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Investigation on the Auto-Ignition of Fuel-Air Mixture Induced by Release of Oil-Fuel Droplets from Cylinder-Liner Using Multi-Zone Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 11, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This study investigated effects of gas inhomogeneity induced by droplets of fuels and oils on the auto ignition timing and temperature in the direct-injection spark ignition (DISI) engine by means of detailed numerical calculation using multi zone model. Recent researchers pointed out that droplets are made of fuels and oils which mix on the cylinder liner and released from the cylinder liner . During the compression stroke released droplets reach the auto ignition temperature before flame propagation induced by spark ignition. It is called Pre-ignition. In combustion chamber, there is inhomogeneity caused by temperature and mixture distribution. In this study, the effects of gas inhomogeneity produced by droplet on the auto ignition timing and temperature have been investigated using Multi-Zone model of CHEMKIN-PRO by changing initial temperature and initial equivalence ratio. Especially, the volume of first ignition zone is focused on.
As for fuels, this study used n-heptane to observe the impacts which the gas inhomogeneity has on low-temperature heat release (LTHR). As for calculation conditions, 15 zones model were assumed. Based on the assumption that the volume of the droplets from cylinder-liner is not always constant, ignition delay time and ignition temperature of mixture were confirmed, changing the volume of first ignition zone.
Consequently, we found that the volume of first ignition zone affects the auto-ignition of air-fuel mixture and there is possibility to lead to cause Pre-ignition.
|Technical Paper||A STUDY OF THE NORMAL AND ABNORMAL COMBUSTION BEHAVIOR OF GASOLINES|
|Technical Paper||A Contribution to Knock Statistics|
CitationSeki, Y., Negoro, K., Iida, N., Matsuura, K. et al., "An Investigation on the Auto-Ignition of Fuel-Air Mixture Induced by Release of Oil-Fuel Droplets from Cylinder-Liner Using Multi-Zone Model," SAE Technical Paper 2014-32-0094, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-32-0094.
- Dahnz , C. , Han , K. , Spicher , U. , Magar , M. et al. Investigations on Pre-Ignition in Highly Supercharged SI Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 3 1 214 224 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0355
- Negoro Keito , Seki Yuichi , Matsuura Katsuya , Iida Norimasa , Sono Hiroshi Investigations on Knocking in SI Engine Using Rapid Compression Machine JSAE of Kanto Branch academic research lecture March 7 2014
- Kee Robert J. , Rupley Fran M. , Miller James A. , Coltrin Michael , Grcar Joseph , Meeks Ellen , Moffat Harry , Lutz Andrew , Dixon-Lewis G. , Smooke Mitchell , Warnatz Jurgen , Evans Gregory , Larson Richard , Mitchell R. E. , Petzold L. R. , Reynolds W. C. , Caracotsios M. , Stewart W. E. , Glarborg P. , Wang C. , McLellan C. L. , Adigun O. , Houf W. G. , Chou C. P. , Miller S. F. , Ho P. , Young P. D. , Young D. J. , Hodgson D. W. , Petrova M. V. , and Puduppakkam K. V. CHEMKIN Release 4.1.1 Reaction Design San Diego, CA 2007
- Kee , R. J. , Rupley , F. M. , and Miller , J. A. Chemkin-iii: a fortran chemical kinetics package for the analysis of gas-phase chemical and plasma kinetics Sandia National Laboratories Report No. SAND96-8216 1996
- CHEMKIN-PRO, Release 15112 Reaction Design, Inc. San Diego, CA 2011
- Mehl Marco , Pitz William , Westbrook C.K. , Curran Henry Kinetic Modeling of Gasoline Surrogate Components and Mixtures Under Engine Conditions Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 33 193 200 2011