This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Ethanol Addition Influence on Backfire Phenomena during Kickback in a Spark-Ignition Transparent Small Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 11, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper investigates abnormal combustion during the cranking phase of spark-ignition small engines, specifically the occurrence of backfire at the release of the starter motor during kickback. The research focusses on the influence of fuel composition, mainly in terms of ethanol percentage, on backfire occurrence. Interest in this abnormal combustion is growing due to the increased use of fuels with different chemical-physical properties with respect to gasoline. Moreover, this issue will become even more topical due to the implementation of simple control and fuel supply systems on low cost-engines, which are widely used in developing countries.
Experimentation was carried out in an optically accessible engine derived from a 4-stroke spark ignition engine for two-wheel vehicles. The test bench was instrumented and adapted in order to simulate the engine conditions that lead to anomalous ignition in the intake duct (backfire) during the reverse rotation of the engine (kickback). Two different test procedures were developed with the aim of promoting the ignition at the intake.
Major engine parameters were measured, such as the in-cylinder pressure, the pressure at the exhaust and at the intake; in order to characterize the engine conditions and to monitor the ignition in the intake manifold. Furthermore, an optical investigation of the combustion chamber was performed using high spatial and temporal resolution measurements.
Engine and optical data were correlated and the analysis allowed characterization of backfire during kick-back, enabling identification of the conditions that make backfire more probable and to observe the influence of fuel composition.
CitationCatapano, F., Di Iorio, S., Sementa, P., Vaglieco, B. et al., "Ethanol Addition Influence on Backfire Phenomena during Kickback in a Spark-Ignition Transparent Small Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2014-32-0093, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-32-0093.
- Schifter L. , Diaz R. , Rodriguez J.P. , Gómez Gonzalez , U. Combustion and emissions behavior for ethanol-gasoline blends in a single cylinder engine Fuel 90 3586 3592 2011
- Walter A. , Rosillo-Calle F. , Dolzan P. , Piacente E. , Borges da Cunha K. Perspectives on fuel ethanol consumption and trade Biomass and Bioenergy 32 - 8 730 748 2008
- International Energy Agency Transport, energy and CO2: moving toward sustainability 978-92-64-07316-6 2009
- Chen R.H. , Chiang L.B. , Chen C.N. , Lin T.H. Cold-start emissions of an SI engine using ethanol - gasoline blended fuel Applied Thermal Engineering 31 1463 1467 2011
- Heywood J.B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals New York McGraw-Hill 1988
- Kabasin , D. , Hoyer , K. , Kazour , J. , Lamers , R. et al. Heated Injectors for Ethanol Cold Starts SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 2 1 172 179 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0615
- Kabasin , D. , Joseph , Y. , Fedor , W. , Geiger , S. et al. Emission Reduction with Heated Injectors SAE Int. J. Engines 3 1 982 995 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1265
- Monteiro Sales L. C. , Sodré J. R. Cold start emissions of an ethanol-fuelled engine with heated intake air and fuel Fuel 95 122 125 2012
- Monteiro Sales L. C. , Sodré J. R. Cold start characteristics of an ethanol-fuelled engine with heated intake air and fuel Applied Thermal Engineering 40 198 201 2012
- Kar , K. , Last , T. , Haywood , C. , and Raine , R. Measurement of Vapor Pressures and Enthalpies of Vaporization of Gasoline and Ethanol Blends and Their Effects on Mixture Preparation in an SI Engine SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1 1 132 144 2009 10.4271/2008-01-0317
- French R. , Malone P. Phase Equilibria of Ethanol Fuel Blends Fluid Phase Equilibria 228-229 27 40 2005
- Balabin R. M. , Synyaev R. Z. , Karpov S. A.Quantitative Measurement of Ethanol Distribution over Fractions of Ethanol-Gasoline Fuel Energy & Fuels 21 2460 2465 2007
- Sementa , P. , Vaglieco , B. , and Catapano , F. Non-Intrusive Investigation in a Small GDI Optical Engine Fuelled with Gasoline and Ethanol SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 50 66 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0140
- Zhao , H. and Ladommatos , N. Engine Combustion Instrumentation and Diagnostics Warrendale Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 2001 10.4271/R-264
- Sementa P. , Vaglieco B.M. , Catapano F. Thermodynamic and optical characterizations of a high performance GDI engine operating in homogeneous and stratified charge mixture conditions fueled with gasoline and bio-ethanol Fuel 96 204 219 2012
- Catapano F , Sementa P. , Vaglieco B.M. Optical characterization of bio-ethanol injection and combustion in a small DISI engine for two wheels vehicles Fuel 106 651 666 2013
- Di Iorio , S. , Lazzaro , M. , Sementa , P. , Vaglieco , B. et al. Particle Size Distributions from a DI High Performance SI Engine Fuelled with Gasoline-Ethanol Blended Fuels SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0211 2011 10.4271/2011-24-0211