This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Microstructure and Mechanical Behavior of SiC Reinforced Aluminum Metal Matrix Composites for Automobile Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 28, 2014 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Aluminium metal matrix composites (MMC) are one of the most promising engineering materials being increasingly used in automobile industries for critical applications due to their enhanced mechanical and physical properties. In this present study, A356 aluminum alloy reinforced with SiC particle was made by stir casting process. The effects of different volume fractions of SiC particle reinforcement on microstructure and mechanical properties have been investigated. The yield and fracture strength increases with increase in volume fraction of SiC particulates, while ductility decreases. As compared to base alloy, 20% volume fraction of SiC reinforced composites showed 16% increase in tensile strength. Dislocation density, precipitation hardening and changes in grain size are the main mechanisms enhancing the mechanical properties of particulate reinforced composites.
|Technical Paper||Ultrasonic Cavitation Based Casting of Aluminum Matrix Nanocomposites for Automobile Structures|
|Aerospace Material Specification||Steel Cleanliness, Special Aircraft-Quality Magnetic Particle Inspection Procedure|
|Aerospace Material Specification||Steel Cleanliness, Aircraft Quality Magnetic Particle Inspection Procedure|
CitationSharma, S., Dhanasekaran, S., and Sreenivasan, V., "Microstructure and Mechanical Behavior of SiC Reinforced Aluminum Metal Matrix Composites for Automobile Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2014-28-0026, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-28-0026.
- Vencl A et al. Structural, mechanical and tribological properties of A356 aluminium alloy reinforced with Al 2 O 3 , SiC and SiC + graphite particles J Alloys Compd 9 506 631 2010
- Yung C.K and Chan S.L.I. Tensile Properties of Nanometric Al 2 O 3 Particulate Reinforced Aluminium Matrix Composites Journal of Materials Chemistry and Physics 85 438 443 2004
- Sajjadi SA , Ezatpour HR , Beygi H Microstructure and mechanical properties of Al- Al 2 O 3 micro and nano composites fabricated by stir casting Proceedings of 14th national conference on Materials Science and Engineering Tehran, Iran 325 2010
- Chawla N and Shen Y.L Mechanical Behavior of Particle Reinforced Metal Matrix Composites Advanced Engineering Materials 3 357 370 2001
- Sajjadi SA et al. Fabrication of A356 composites reinforced with micro and nano Al2O3 particles by a developed compo-casting method and study of their properties J Alloys Compd, accepted for publication 2011
- Sajjadi S.K. and Zebarjad S.M. Powder Metallurgy 8 71 78 2010
- Nair S.V , Tien J.K , Bates R.C SiC-reinforced aluminum metal matrix composites International material reviews 1985 30 1 275 290
- Feng HB , Zhou Y , Jia DC , Meng QC Microstructure and mechanical properties of in situ TiB reinforced titanium matrix composites based on Ti-FeMo-B prepared by spark plasma sintering Compos Sci Technol 2004 64 16 2495 500
- England J , Hall IW On the effect of strength of the matrix in metal matrix composites Scripta Metall 1986 20 697 700
- Delannay F , Froyen L , Deruyttere M Review: The wetting of solids by molten metals and its relation to the preparation of metal-matrix composites Journal of Materials Science 1987 22 1 16
- Rajan T.P.D , Pillai R.M , Pai B.C Review: Reinforcement coatings and interfaces in aluminum metal matrix composites Journal of materials science 1998 33 3491 3503