This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Particulate Mass Reduction and Clean-up of DISI Injector Deposits via Novel Fuels Additive Technology
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 13, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Particulate mass (PM) emissions from DISI engines can be reduced via fuels additive technology that facilitates injector deposit clean-up. A significant drawback of DISI engines is that they can have higher particulate matter emissions than PFI gasoline engines. Soot formation in general is dependent on the air-fuel ratio, combustion chamber temperature and the chemical structure and thermo-physical properties of the fuel. In this regard, PM emissions and DISI injector deposit clean-up were studied in three identical high sales-volume vehicles. The tests compared the effects of a fuel (Fuel A) containing a market generic additive at lowest additive concentration (LAC) against a fuel formulated with a novel additive technology (Fuel B). The fuels compared had an anti-knock index value of 87 containing up to 10% ethanol. The vehicles were run on Fuel A for 20,000 miles followed by 5,000 miles on Fuel B using a chassis dynamometer. It was observed that Fuel A gave rise to an increase in PM emissions indicative of DISI injector deposit build-up. Whereas, Fuel B showed statistically significant reduction in PM emissions for all three vehicles at 95% confidence interval. PM reduction data was also supported by scanning electron microscope (SEM) images that showed clean-up of the injector deposits around the nozzle holes. The results observed are attributed to the thermal stability and the dosage of the additive technology utilized.
CitationPrakash, A., Nelson, E., Jones, A., Macias, J. et al., "Particulate Mass Reduction and Clean-up of DISI Injector Deposits via Novel Fuels Additive Technology," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2847, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2847.
- ASD Reports Fuel Injection Systems Market By Technology (Port Fuel, GDI, Direct Diesel), Engine Type (Gasoline, Diesel), Geography, Vehicle Type & Component: Global Trends & Forecast To 2018 2013
- Fatouraie , M. , Wooldridge , M. , and Wooldridge , S. , In-Cylinder Particulate Matter and Spray Imaging of Ethanol/Gasoline Blends in a Direct Injection Spark Ignition Engine SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 6 1 1 10 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0259
- Fraser , N. , Blaxill , H. , Lumsden , G. , and Bassett , M. , Challenges for Increased Efficiency through Gasoline Engine Downsizing SAE Int. J. Engines 2 1 991 1008 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1053
- Ericsson , P. , Holmström , M. , Amberntsson-Carlsson , A. , Ohlson , C. et al. Characterization of Particulate Emissions and Methodology for Oxidation of Particulates from Non-Diesel Combustion Systems SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1746 2008 10.4271/2008-01-1746
- Price , P. , Stone , R. , Collier , T. , and Davies , M. , Particulate Matter and Hydrocarbon Emissions Measurements: Comparing First and Second Generation DISI with PFI in Single Cylinder Optical Engines SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1263 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1263
- Hemdal S. , Andersson M. , Dahlander P. , Ochoterena R. and Denbratt I. In-cylinder soot imaging and emissions of stratified combustion in a spark-ignited spray-guided direct-injection gasoline engine International Journal of Engine Research 12 6 549 563 2011
- Altenschmidt F. , Gildein H. , Sauter W. , Schaupp U. , Waltner A. and Daimler AG The spray guided Mercedes-Benz combustion system - developed not only for stratified mode SIA Congress Strasbourg 2011
- Joedicke , A. , Krueger-Venus , J. , Bohr , P. , Cracknell , R. et al. Understanding the Effect of DISI Injector Deposits on Vehicle Performance SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0391 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0391
- USEPA EPA US06 Or Supplemental Federal Test Procedure http://www.epa.gov/otaq/standards/light-duty/sc06-sftp.htm
- Iizuka M. Effect of Fuel Properties on Emissions from Direct Injection Gasoline Vehicle 5th Asian Petroleum Technology Symposium 2007
- Aradi , A. , Colucci , W. , Scull , H. , and Openshaw , M. , A Study of Fuel Additives for Direct Injection Gasoline (DIG) Injector Deposit Control SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2020 2000 10.4271/2000-01-2020