This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Comparative Study of Gasoline and n-butanol on Spray Characteristics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 13, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
n-butanol has been recognized as a promising alternative fuel for gasoline and may potentially overcome the drawbacks of methanol and ethanol, e.g. higher energy density. In this paper, the spray characteristics of gasoline and n-butanol have been investigated using a high pressure direct injection injector. High speed imaging and Phase Doppler Particle Analyzer (PDPA) techniques were used to study the spray penetration and the droplet atomization process. The tests were carried out in a high pressure constant volume vessel over a range of injection pressure from 60 to 150 bar and ambient pressure from 1 to 5 bar. The results show that gasoline has a longer penetration length than that of n-butanol in most test conditions due to the relatively small density and viscosity of gasoline; n-butanol has larger SMD due to its higher viscosity. The increase in ambient pressure leads to the reduction in SMD by 42% for gasoline and by 37% for n-butanol. Based on the development of droplet velocity, it is found that the strong interaction between fuel jets could change the fuel distribution in the region close to the nozzle and this may be the joint effect of cavitation inside the nozzle and the vacuum near the nozzle caused by the high-speed fuel jets.
CitationLi, Y., Guo, H., Wang, J., and Xu, H., "The Comparative Study of Gasoline and n-butanol on Spray Characteristics," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2754, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2754.
- Jin , C. , Yao , M. , Liu , H. , Lee , C. et al. Progress in the Production and Application of n-butanol as a Biofuel Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 15 8 4080 4106 2011 10.1016/j.rser.2011.06.001
- Gu , X. , Huang , Z. , Li , Q. , and Tang , C. Measurements of Laminar Burning Velocities and Markstein Lengths of n-Butanol-Air Premixed Mixtures at Elevated Temperatures and Pressures Energy & Fuels 23 10 4900 4907 2009 10.1021/ef900378s
- Yacoub , Y. , Bata , R. , and Gautam , M. The Performance and Emission Characteristics of C1-C5 Alcohol-Gasoline Blends with Matched Oxygen Content in a Single-cylinder Spark Ignition Engine Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part A: Journal of Power and Energy 212 5 363 379 1998
- Szwaja , S. and Naber , J. D. Combustion of n-butanol in a spark-ignition IC engine Fuel 89 7 1573 1582 2010 10.1016/j.fuel.2009.08.043
- Alasfour , F.N. Butanol-A Single-Cylinder Engine Study: Availability Analysis Applied Thermal Engineering. 17 6 537 549 1997 10.1016/S1359-4311(96)00069-5
- Serras-Pereira , J. , Aleiferis , P. , Richardson , D. , and Wallace , S. Characteristics of Ethanol, Butanol, Iso-Octane and Gasoline Sprays and Combustion from a Multi-Hole Injector in a DISI Engine SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1 1 893 909 2008 10.4271/2008-01-1591
- Wallner , T , Miers , S. A. and McConnell , S. A Comparison of Ethanol and Butanol as Oxygenates Using a Direct-Injection, Spark-Ignition Engine Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 131 3 032802 032802 2009 10.1115/1.3043810
- Yang , J. , Yang , X. , Liu , J. , Han , Z. et al. Dyno Test Investigations of Gasoline Engine Fueled with Butanol-Gasoline Blends SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1891 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1891
- Cairns , A. , Stansfield , P. , Fraser , N. , Blaxill , H. et al. A Study of Gasoline-Alcohol Blended Fuels in an Advanced Turbocharged DISI Engine SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 2 1 41 57 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0138
- Williams , J. , Goodfellow , C. , Lance , D. , Ota , A. et al. Impact of Butanol and Other Bio-Components on the Thermal Efficiency of Prototype and Conventional Engines SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1908 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1908
- Dernotte , J. et al. Evaluation of Butanol-Gasoline Blends in a Port Fuel-injection, spark-Ignition Engine Oil Gas Sci. Technol. - Rev. IFP 65 2 345 351 2010
- Lefebvre , A. Atomization and sprays 1040 1988 CRC press