This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Chemical Composition of Ashless Polymeric Internal Diesel Injector Deposits
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 13, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Internal Diesel Injector Deposits (IDIDs) have been known for some time. With the latest powertrains becoming ever more sophisticated and reliant on efficient fuel delivery, the necessity for a continued focus on limiting their formation remains. Initial studies probed both carbonaceous based/ashless polymeric and sodium salt based IDIDs. The reported occurrence of the latter variety of IDID has declined in recent years as a result of the removal of certain additives from the diesel distribution system. Conversely, ashless polymeric based deposits remain problematic and a regular occurrence in the field.
The body of work presented in this contribution is an extension to that reported in SAE paper 2014-01-1401 which showed how a particular Fuel Borne Catalyst (FBC) additive has the ability to significantly reduce the formation of ashless polymeric deposits formed from the reaction of Poly-isobutylene Succinic Imides (PIBSI) with fatty acid and the ability for the same additive to also be neutral towards the formation of sodium salt based deposits.
There has been significant debate regarding the composition of such deposits, particularly for the ashless polymeric type. For this reason, here detailed is a full chemical analysis of the deposit formed in the ashless polymeric deposit programme conducted. The protocol developed can be easily run and provides a clear view of the composition of this type of deposit. The techniques used - Scanning Electron Microscopy with Energy Dispersive X-Ray Analysis (SEM/ EDX), X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy (XPS) and Time-of-Flight Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometry (ToFSIMS) amongst others - permitted the identification of the deposit chemistry present on the injector surface. The results were further confirmed comparing injectors which were shown to seize with contaminated diesel and others that remained free as a result of using the FBC additive.
CitationDallanegra, R. and Caprotti, R., "Chemical Composition of Ashless Polymeric Internal Diesel Injector Deposits," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2728, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2728.
- Ullmann , J. , Geduldig , M. , Stutzenberger , H. , Caprotti , R. et al. Effects of Fuel Impurities and Additive Interactions on the Formation of Internal Diesel Injector Deposits TAE 7th International Colloquium Fuels Esslingen 2009
- Schwab , S. , Bennett , J. , Dell , S. , Galante-Fox , J. et al. Internal Injector Deposits in High-Pressure Common Rail Diesel Engines SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3 2 865 878 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2242
- Lacey , P. , Gail , S. , Kientz , J. , Milovanovic , N. et al. Internal Fuel Injector Deposits SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5 1 132 145 2012 10.4271/2011-01-1925
- Lacey , P. , Gail , S. , Kientz , J. , Benoist , G. et al. Fuel Quality and Diesel Injector Deposits SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5 3 1187 1198 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1693
- Ullmann , J. , and Stutzenberger , H. Internal Diesel Injector Deposit Formation - Reproduction in Laboratory, System Bench and Engine Tests TAE 9th International Colloquium Fuels Esslingen 2013
- Barbour , R. , Quigley , R. , Panesar , A. , Payne J. et al. Finding a Solution to Internal Diesel Injector Deposits TAE 9 th International Colloquium Fuels Esslingen 2013
- Reid , J. , and Barker , J. Understanding Polyisobutylene Succinimides (PIBSI) and Internal Diesel Injector Deposits SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2682 10.4271/2013-01-2682
- Dallanegra , R. and Caprotti , R. Validation of Fuel Borne Catalyst Technology in Advanced Diesel Applications SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1401 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1401
- Barker , J. , Snape , C. , and Scurr , D. A Novel Technique for Investigating the Characteristics and History of Deposits Formed Within High Pressure Fuel Injection Equipment SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5 3 1155 1164 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1685
- Barker , J. , Snape , C. , and Scurr , D. Information on the Aromatic Structure of Internal Diesel Injector Deposits From Time of Flight Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometry(ToF-SIMS) SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1387 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1387