This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Data Quality Reduction on Feedback Metrics for Advanced Combustion Control
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 13, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Advances in engine controls and sensor technology are making advanced, direct, high-speed control of engine combustion more feasible. Control of combustion rate and phasing in low-temperature combustion regimes and active control of cyclic variability in dilute SI combustion are being pursued in laboratory environments with high-quality data acquisition systems, using metrics calculated from in-cylinder pressure. In order to implement these advanced combustion controls in production, lower-quality data will need to be tolerated even if indicated pressure sensors become available. This paper examines the effects of several data quality issues, including phase shifting (incorrect TDC location), reduced data resolution, pressure pegging errors, and random noise on calculated combustion metrics that are used for control feedback.
Symbolic data analysis is an effective technique for identifying underlying patterns in noisy data, and has been applied to cyclic variability of dilute SI combustion, identifying deterministic effects that underlie the stochastic variations that are present. These techniques form a basis for current attempts to implement active next-cycle control of cyclic variability for dilution limit extension, and their effectiveness is evaluated in the presence of the reduced-quality data.
The results indicate that IMEP and cumulative heat release are the most sensitive combustion metrics, showing the strongest trends with TDC offset and encoder resolution. While these combustion metrics show sensitivities to data quality issues, the symbol sequence statistics were always able to identify the correct deterministic trajectories in cycle-to-cycle variations, proving that production sensors provide data of sufficient quality for control methods based on symbol sequence statistics.
CitationKaul, B., Lawler, B., Finney, C., Edwards, M. et al., "Effects of Data Quality Reduction on Feedback Metrics for Advanced Combustion Control," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2707, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2707.
- Martinez , A. , Wilson , P. , Hall , M. , and Matthews , R. Improved Passage Design for a Spark Plug Mounted Pressure Transducer SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0652 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0652
- Toth , D. , Shaw , T. , Wlodarczyk , M. , and Cummings , C. Cylinder Head Gasket with Integrated Combustion Pressure Sensors for Advanced Engine Controls SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 1235 1246 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0938
- Schten , K. , Ripley , G. , Punater , A. , and Erickson , C. Design of an Automotive Grade Controller for In-Cylinder Pressure Based Engine Control Development SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0774 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0774
- Sellnau , M. , Matekunas , F. , Battiston , P. , Chang , C. et al. Cylinder-Pressure-Based Engine Control Using Pressure- Ratio-Management and Low-Cost Non-Intrusive Cylinder Pressure Sensors SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0932 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0932
- Taraza , D. Accuracy Limits of IMEP Determination from Crankshaft Speed Mesurements SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0331 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0331
- Arbuckle J , Burl J. Indicated Mean Effective Pressure Estimator Order Determination and Reduction When Using Estimated Engine Statistics Journal of Dynamic Systems Measurement and Control-Transactions of the ASME 2009 January 131 1 10.1115/1.3023115
- Guillemin , F. , Grondin , O. , Chauvin , J. , and Nguyen , E. Combustion Parameters Estimation Based on Knock Sensor for Control Purpose Using Dedicated Signal Processing Platform SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0790 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0790
- Davis , R. and Patterson , G. Cylinder Pressure Data Quality Checks and Procedures to Maximize Data Accuracy SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1346 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1346
- Rai , H. , Brunt , M. , and Loader , C. Quantification and Reduction of IMEP Errors Resulting from Pressure Transducer Thermal Shock in an S.I. Engine SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1329 1999 10.4271/1999-01-1329
- Lee , S. , Bae , C. , Prucka , R. , Fernandes , G. et al. Quantification of Thermal Shock in a Piezoelectric Pressure Transducer SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2092 2005 10.4271/2005-01-2092
- Maurya RK , Agarwal AK. Investigations on the Effect of Measurement Errors on Estimated Combustion and Performance Parameters in HCCI Combustion Engine Measurement 2012 January 46 1 80 88 10.1016/j.measurement.2012.05.021
- Corti , E. , Moro , D. , and Solieri , L. Measurement Errors in Real-Time IMEP and ROHR Evaluation SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0980 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0980
- Antonopoulos , A. and Hountalas , D. Identification and Correction of the Error Induced by the Sampling Method Used to Monitor Cylinder Pressure of Reciprocating Internal Combustion Engines SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1155 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1155
- Daw , C. , Finney , C. , Green , J. , Kennel , M. et al. A Simple Model for Cyclic Variations in a Spark-Ignition Engine SAE Technical Paper 962086 1996 10.4271/962086
- Wagner RM , Drallmeier JA , Daw CS. Characterization of lean combustion instability in premixed charge spark ignition engines International Journal of Engine Research 2000 1 4 301 320
- Wagner , R. , Drallmeier , J. , and Daw , C. Prior-Cycle Effects in Lean Spark Ignition Combustion - Fuel/Air Charge Considerations SAE Technical Paper 981047 1998 10.4271/981047
- Sutton RW , Drallmeier JA. Development of nonlinear cyclic dispersion in spark ignition engines under the influence of high levels of EGR Proceedings of the 2000 Technical meeting of the Central States Section of the Combustion Institute 2000
- Kaul , B. , Wagner , R. , and Green , J. Analysis of Cyclic Variability of Heat Release for High-EGR GDI Engine Operation with Observations on Implications for Effective Control SAE Int. J. Engines 6 1 132 141 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0270
- Kaul , B. , Finney , C. , Wagner , R. , and Edwards , M. Effects of External EGR Loop on Cycle-to-Cycle Dynamics of Dilute SI Combustion SAE Int. J. Engines 7 2 606 614 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1236
- Hellström E , Larimore J , Stefanopoulou A , Sterniak J , Jiang L. Quantifying Cyclic Variability in a Multi-Cylinder HCCI Engine with High Residuals Proceedings of ASME 2012 International Combustion Engine Division Spring Technical Conference: ICES 2012 2012 Torino, Piemonte, Italy
- Daw CS , Edwards KD , Wagner RM , Green JB. Jr Modeling cyclic variability in spark-assisted HCCI Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power - Transactions of the ASME 2008 September 130 5 10.1115/1.2906176
- Glewen WJ , Wagner RM , Edwards KD , Daw CS. Analysis of cyclic variability in spark-assisted HCCI combustion using a double Wiebe function Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 2009 June 32 2885 2892 10.1016/j.proci.2008.06.029
- Larimore J , Hellström E , Sterniak J , Jiang L , Stefanopoulou AG. Experiments and analysis of high cyclic variability at the operational limits of spark-assisted HCCI combustion Proceedings of the American Control Conference (ACC), 2012 2012 Montreal, Quebec, Canada 2072 2077
- Daw CS , Wagner RM , Edwards KD , Green JB. Jr Understanding the transition between conventional spark-ignited combustion and HCCI in a gasoline engine Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 2007 July 31 2 2887 2894 10.1016/j.proci.2006.07.133
- Sen AK , Litak G , Edwards KD , Finney CEA , Daw CS , Wagner RM. Characteristics of cyclic heat release variability in the transition from spark ignition to HCCI in a gasoline engine Applied Energy 2011 May 88 5 1649 1655 10.1016/j.apenergy.2010.11.040
- Vance JB , He P , Kaul BC , Sarangapani J , Drallmeier JA. Neural Network-Based Output Feedback Controller for Lean Operation of Spark Ignition Engines Proceedings of the American Controls Conference 2006 Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA 1898 1905 10.1109/ACC.2006.1656497
- Vance JB , Singh A , Kaul BC , Jagannathan S , Drallmeier JA. Neural Network Controller Development and Implementation for Spark Ignition Engines with High EGR Levels IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks 2007 July 18 4 1083 1100 10.1109/TNN.2007.899199
- Davis LI , Jr Daw CS , Feldkamp LA , Hoard JW , Fumin Y , Connolly FT , inventors Method of controlling cyclic variation in engine combustion United States of America patent 5,921,221 1999 July 13
- Green JB , Jr Wagner RM , Daw CS. Model based control of cyclic dispersion in lean spark ignition combustion Proceedings of the 2002 Technical Meeting of the Central States Section of the Combustion Institute 2002 Combustion Institute
- Gorzelic P , Hellström E , Stefanopoulou A , Jiang L. Model-based feedback control for an automated transfer out of SI operation during SI to HCCI transitions in gasoline engines Proceedings of the 5th Annual Dynamic Systems and Control Conference 2012 Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Finney , C. , Green , J. , and Daw , C. Symbolic Time-Series Analysis of Engine Combustion Measurements SAE Technical Paper 980624 1998 10.4271/980624