This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Dual Fuel Diesel Combustion with Premixed Ethanol as the Main Fuel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 13, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Dual fuel combustion with premixed ethanol as the main fuel and direct injection of diesel fuel as an ignition source poses problems including large unburned emissions and excessively rapid combustion. In this report the influence of compression ratios, injection timings of diesel fuel, and intake oxygen concentrations was systematically investigated in a modern diesel engine.
The combustion process was classified into three stages: the first rapid combustion of diesel fuel and the ethanol mixture entrained into the diesel fuel spray; the second mild combustion with flame propagation of the ethanol mixture; and the third rapid combustion with auto-ignition of the unburned ethanol mixture without knocking. The third stage combustion occurs occasionally at several operating conditions and has been termed as PREMIER (premixed mixture ignition in the end-gas region) combustion. With PREMIER combustion, reductions in the unburned emissions as well as improvements in the combustion stability and the thermal efficiency are possible. With lower intake oxygen concentrations by cooled EGR the maximum rate of pressure rise is reduced with suppression of the first rapid combustion and the third PREMIER combustion. At the compression ratio of 18.5, the PREMIER combustion becomes excessively rapid with a higher IMEP, resulting in a decrease in the maximum IMEP. Reducing the compression ratio from 18.5 to 14.5 the maximum IMEP increases due to suppression of the excessively rapid combustion while at the low IMEP conditions the unburned emissions increase. Temperatures of the unburned mixture at the onset timings of the PREMIER combustion are distributed between 800 K and 920 K.
CitationOgawa, H., Shibata, G., Kato, T., and Zhao, P., "Dual Fuel Diesel Combustion with Premixed Ethanol as the Main Fuel," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2687, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2687.
- Rodríguez-Fernández , J. , Tsolakis , A. , Theinnoi , K. , Snowball , J. et al. Engine Performance and Emissions from Dual Fuelled Engine with In-Cylinder Injected Diesel Fuels and In-Port Injected Bioethanol SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1853 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1853
- Ogawa , H. , Setiapraja , H. , and Nakamura , T. Improvements to Premixed Diesel Combustion with Ignition Inhibitor Effects of Premixed Ethanol by Intake Port Injection SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0866 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0866
- Ekholm , K. , Karlsson , M. , Tunestål , P. , Johansson , R. et al. Ethanol-Diesel Fumigation in a Multi-Cylinder Engine SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1 1 26 36 2009 10.4271/2008-01-0033
- Daisho , Y. , Yaeo , T. , Koseki , T. , Saito , T. et al. Combustion and Exhaust Emissions in a Direct-injection Diesel Engine Dual-Fueled with Natural Gas SAE Technical Paper 950465 1995 10.4271/950465
- Kusaka , J. , Tsuzuki , K. , Daisho , Y. , and Saito , T. A Numerical Study on Combustion and Exhaust Gas Emissions Characteristics of a Dual Fuel Natural Gas Engine Using a Multi-Dimensional Model Combined With Detailed Kinetics SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1750 2002 10.4271/2002-01-1750
- Tomita , E. , Harada , Y. , Kawahara , N. , and Sakane , A. Effect of EGR on Combustion and Exhaust Emissions in Supercharged Dual-Fuel Natural Gas Engine Ignited with Diesel Fuel SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1832 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1832
- Azimov , U. , Tomita , E. , Kawahara , N. , and Harada , Y. Premixed mixture ignition in the end-gas region (PREMIER) combustion in a natural gas dual-fuel engine operating range and exhaust emissions Int. J. Engine Res. 12 5 484 497 2011
- Azimov , U. , Tomita , E. , and Kawahara , N. Ignition, Combustion and Exhaust Emission Characteristics of Micro-pilot Ignited Dual-fuel Engine Operated under PREMIER Combustion Mode SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1764 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1764
- Ishiyama , T. , Shioji , M. , Mitani , S. , Shibata , H. et al. Improvement of Performance and Exhaust Emissions in a Converted Dual-Fuel Natural Gas Engine SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1866 2000 10.4271/2000-01-1866
- Ishiyama , T. , Kang , J. , Ozawa , Y. , and Sako , T. Improvement of Performance and Reduction of Exhaust Emissions by Pilot-Fuel-Injection Control in a Lean-Burning Natural-Gas Dual-Fuel Engine SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5 1 243 253 2012 10.4271/2011-01-1963
- Inagaki , K. , Fuyuto , T. , Nishikawa , K. , Nakakita , K. et al. Dual-Fuel PCI Combustion Controlled by In-Cylinder Stratification of Ignitability SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0028 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0028
- Prikhodko , V. , Curran , S. , Barone , T. , Lewis , S. et al. Emission Characteristics of a Diesel Engine Operating with In-Cylinder Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Blending SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3 2 946 955 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2266
- Curran , S. , Prikhodko , V. , Cho , K. , Sluder , C. et al. In-Cylinder Fuel Blending of Gasoline/Diesel for Improved Efficiency and Lowest Possible Emissions on a Multi-Cylinder Light-Duty Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2206 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2206
- Splitter , D. , Reitz , R. , and Hanson , R. High Efficiency, Low Emissions RCCI Combustion by Use of a Fuel Additive SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3 2 742 756 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2167
- Kokjohn , S. , Hanson , R. , Splitter , D. , Kaddatz , J. et al. Fuel Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition (RCCI) Combustion in Light- and Heavy-Duty Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 360 374 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0357
- Dempsey , A. , Walker , N. , and Reitz , R. Effect of Cetane Improvers on Gasoline, Ethanol, and Methanol Reactivity and the Implications for RCCI Combustion SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 6 1 170 187 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1678
- Wai K. , Cheng, Summers , T. , and Collings , N. The Fast-Response Flame Ionization Detector Prog. Energy Combust. Sci. 24 89 124 1998
- Rakopoulos , C. , Rakopoulos , D. , Kyritsis , D. Development and validation of a comprehensive two-zone model for combustion and emissions formation in a DI diesel engine Int. J. Energy Res. 2003 27 1221 1249
- Hajireza , S. , Sundén , B. , and Mauss , F. A Three-Zone Model for Investigation of Gas Behavior in the Combustion Chamber of SI Engines in Relation to Knock SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0219 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0219