This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Measuring and Simulating EGR-Distribution on a HD-Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 13, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The distribution of EGR between the cylinders of an internal combustion engine has been shown to have large impact on the engine emissions. Especially at high EGR, the combustion reacts sensibly to variations in the EGR-rate. A cylinder that receives excessive EGR produces soot emissions while a cylinder with too little EGR has increased NOX-formation. It is therefore important to have knowledge about the mixing of air and EGR in an engine.
This study compares two different EGR-mixing measurement methods. The first is based on CO2 measurement with standard probes, placed at 36 different locations in the intake manifold of the engine. The second method uses a laser beam and a detector to gain information about the mixing with a high time-resolution. Additionally, 1-D simulations are used to gain information about the mixing process.
To vary the mixing process on the engine, two different air/EGR mixers are used and their mixing performance is evaluated.
|Technical Paper||Adaption of Injection System Parameters to Homogeneous Diesel Combustion|
|Technical Paper||Combination of High EGR Rates and Multiple Injection Strategies to Reduce Pollutant Emissions|
CitationReifarth, S., Rajagopal, V., Gritzun, K., and Angstrom, H., "Measuring and Simulating EGR-Distribution on a HD-Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2644, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2644.
- Heywood J. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals New York McGraw Hill 1988
- Husberg , T. , Gjirja , S. , Denbratt , I. , and Engström , J. Visualization of EGR Influence on Diesel Combustion With Long Ignition Delay in a Heavy-duty Engine SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2947 2004 10.4271/2004-01-2947
- Ekelund J. Metodutveckling för mätning av EGR-fördelningtill en förbränningsmotors olika cylindrar Luleå Tekniska Universitetet 2010
- Payri , F. , Lujan , J. , Climent , H. , and Pla , B. Effects of the Intake Charge Distribution in HSDI Engines SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1119 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1119
- Maiboom A. , Tauzia X. and Hétet J.-F. Influence of EGR unequal distribution from cylinder to cylinder on NOx-PM trade-off of a HSDI automotive Diesel engine Applied Thermal Engineering 29 2043 2050 07 2009
- Siewert , R. , Krieger , R. , Huebler , M. , Baruah , P. et al. Modifying an Intake Manifold to Improve Cylinder-to-Cylinder EGR Distribution in a DI Diesel Engine Using Combined CFD and Engine Experiments SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3685 2001 10.4271/2001-01-3685
- William , J. , Dupont , A. , Bazile , R. , and Marchal , M. Study of Geometrical Parameter Influence on Air/EGR Mixing SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1796 2003 10.4271/2003-01-1796
- Sakowitz A. , Reifarth S. , Mihaescu M. and Fuchs L. Modeling of EGR Mixing in an engine intake manifold using LES Oil & Gas Science and Technology -- Rev. IFP Energies nouvelles 2013
- Schaller K. Energieeffizienz und Kraftstoffstrategien in der Nutzfahrzeugentwicklung 29. Internationales Wiener Motorensymposium 2008
- Luján J. M. , Galindo J. , Serrano J. R. and Pla B. A methodology to identify the intake charge cylinder-to-cylinder distribution in turbocharged direct injection Diesel engines Measurement Science and Technology 19 June 2008
- Partridge , W. , Lewis , S. , Ruth , M. , Muntean , G. et al. Resolving EGR Distribution and Mixing SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2882 2002 10.4271/2002-01-2882
- Green , R. Measuring the Cylinder-to-Cylinder EGR Distribution in the Intake of a Diesel Engine During Transient Operation SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2866 2000 10.4271/2000-01-2866
- Berg T. , Thiele O. , Seefeldt S. and Vanhaelst R. Measurement of in-cylinder mixture formation by optical indication MTZ worldwide 74 06 2013
- Reifarth , S. , Kristensson , E. , Borggren , J. , Sakowitz , A. et al. Analysis of EGR/Air Mixing by 1-D Simulation, 3-D Simulation and Experiments SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2647 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2647
- Lim , G. , Choi , Y. , Park , C. , and Park , J. Effects of HPL and LPL EGR Gas Mixed Supply on Combustion and Emissions in Automotive Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1831 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1831