This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Smoke Reduction Effects by Post Injection for Various Injection Parameters and Combustion Chamber Shapes in a Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 13, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A series of experiments using a single-cylinder direct injection diesel engine was conducted to investigate the smoke reduction effect of post injection while varying numerous parameters: the post-injection quantity, post-injection timing, injection pressure, main-injection timing, intake pressure, number of injection nozzle orifices, and combustion chamber shape. The experiments were performed under a fixed NOx emission condition by selecting the total injection quantities needed to obtain the predetermined smoke emission levels without post injection. The smoke reduction effects were compared when changing the post injection timing for different settings of the above parameters, and explanations were found for the measured smoke emission trends. The results indicate that close post injection provides lower smoke emission for a combination of a reentrant combustion chamber and seven-hole nozzle. The same trend was also found in the tests that varied the injection pressure, main-injection timing, and intake pressure. However, a lower sensitivity of the smoke emission to the post injection timing was observed when using an injection nozzle with a larger number of orifices and a toroidal combustion chamber. The smoke reduction rate at the best post injection timing was higher for a lower injection pressure, larger number of nozzle orifices, and toroidal combustion chamber. The reasons for these trends were investigated, giving attention to the relation between the main spray flames and post sprays.
CitationHoribe, N., Komizo, T., Sumimoto, T., Wang, H. et al., "Smoke Reduction Effects by Post Injection for Various Injection Parameters and Combustion Chamber Shapes in a Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2634, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2634.
- Han , Z. , Uludogan , A. , Hampson , G. , and Reitz , R. Mechanism of Soot and NOx Emission Reduction Using Multiple-injection in a Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 960633 1996 10.4271/960633
- Chen , S. Simultaneous Reduction of NOx and Particulate Emissions by Using Multiple Injections in a Small Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-3084 2000 10.4271/2000-01-3084
- Badami , M. , Mallamo , F. , Millo , F. , and Rossi , E. Influence of Multiple Injection Strategies on Emissions, Combustion Noise and BSFC of a DI Common Rail Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0503 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0503
- Park , C. , Kook , S. , and Bae , C. Effects of Multiple Injections in a HSDI Diesel Engine Equipped with Common Rail Injection System SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0127 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0127
- Hotta , Y. , Inayoshi , M. , Nakakita , K. , Fujiwara , K. et al. Achieving Lower Exhaust Emissions and Better Performance in an HSDI Diesel Engine with Multiple Injection SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0928 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0928
- Dronniou , N. , Lejeune , M. , Balloul , I. , and Higelin , P. Combination of High EGR Rates and Multiple Injection Strategies to Reduce Pollutant Emissions SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3726 2005 10.4271/2005-01-3726
- Desantes , J. , Arrègle , J. , López , J. , and García , A. A Comprehensive Study of Diesel Combustion and Emissions with Post-injection SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0915 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0915
- Arrègle , J. , Pastor , J.V. , López , J.J. , García , A. Insights on Post Injection-Associated Soot Emissions in Direct Injection Diesel Engines Combustion and Flame 154 3 448 461 2008
- Ogawa , H. , Yoshida , T. , Takahashi , K. , and Numata , A. Improvements in Diesel Combustion with After-Injection SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2476 2008 10.4271/2008-01-2476
- Ikemoto , M. , Omae , K. , and Nishida , K. In-Cylinder Experimental Analysis Using Piezo-Driven Diesel Injector Equipped With Needle-Lift Sensor JSAE Trans . 41 6 1347 1352 2010
- Bobba , M. , Musculus , M. , and Neel , W. Effect of Post Injections on In-Cylinder and Exhaust Soot for Low-Temperature Combustion in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 3 1 496 516 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0612
- Long , L. , Horibe , N. , Komizo , T. , Tamura , I. , and Ishiyama , T. An Experimental Study on Smoke Reduction Effect of Post Injection Combination With Pilot Injection for a Diesel Engine J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power 136 4 041502 1 2014 10.1115/1.4025929
- Beatrice , C. , Belardini , P. , Bertoli , C. , Lisbona , M.G. , and Sebastiano , G.M. Rossi Diesel Combustion control in common rail engines by new injection strategies Int. J. Eng. Research 3 1 23 36 2002 10.1243/1468087021545513
- O'Connor , J. and Musculus , M. Post Injections for Soot Reduction in Diesel Engines: A Review of Current Understanding SAE Int. J. Engines 6 1 400 421 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0917