This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fundamental Understanding of a Multi-Sensing Piezo Fuel Injector Signal and Its Applications in Diagnosis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 13, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Electronic controls in internal combustion engines require an in-cylinder combustion sensor to produce a feedback signal to the ECU (Engine Control Unit). Recent research indicated that the ion current sensor has many advantages over the pressure transducer, related mainly to lower cost. Modified glow plugs in diesel engines, and fuel injectors in both gasoline and diesel engines can be utilized as ion current sensors without the addition any part or drilling holes in the cylinder head needed for the pressure transducer. Multi sensing fuel injector (MSFI) system is a new technique which instruments the fuel injector with an electric circuit to perform multiple sensing tasks including functioning as an ion sensor in addition to its primary task of delivering the fuel into the cylinder. It is necessary to fundamentally understand MSFI system. In this study the author will firstly explore the influence of piston motion (as one side of variable capacitance) on the ion sensor signal through modeling and simulation, and then look into the origin of the MSFI signal of fuel injection; and finally the author will look at how to analyze MSFI signal to duplicate the injection command profile for on-board diagnostics (OBD). On the basis of the above analysis, a new methodology will be put forward to predict real fuel injection timing. This investigation is conducted on a high speed turbocharged diesel engine with a Piezo injector under low load operating conditions.
CitationZhong, Y. and Sane, S., "Fundamental Understanding of a Multi-Sensing Piezo Fuel Injector Signal and Its Applications in Diagnosis," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2590, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2590.
- Doi , K. , Nakamura , Y. , Hanashi , K. , and Hashizume , K. , Development of Spark Plug for Ion Current Misfire Detection System SAE Int. J. Engines 5 3 1387 1393 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1253
- George , R. INVESTIGATION OF ION CURRENT SIGNAL IN A MODERN AUTOMOTIVE DIESEL ENGINE Master thesis Wayne State University 2014
- Zhu , G. G. , Haskara , I. , and Winkelman , J. , Closed-Loop Ignition Timing Control for SI Engines Using Ionization Current Feedback Control Systems Technology, IEEE Transactions.
- Yoshiyama , S. , Tomita , E. , Tabuchi , N. , Matsumoto , K. et al. Combustion Diagnostics of a Spark Ignition Engine by Using Gasket Ion Sensor SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1801 2003 10.4271/2003-01-1801
- Rivara , N. , Dickinson , P. , and Shenton , A. , Peak Pressure Position Control of Four Cylinders through the Ion Current Method SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0235 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0235
- Estefanous , F. , Badawy , T. , and Henein , N. , Cycle Resolved In-Cylinder NOx and Ion Current Measurements in a Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0555 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0555
- Malaczynski , G. , Roth , G. , and Johnson , D. , Ion-Sense-Based Real-Time Combustion Sensing for Closed Loop Engine Control SAE Int. J. Engines 6 1 267 277 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0354
- Estefanous , F. and Henein , N. , Multi Sensing Fuel Injector for Electronically Controlled Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0936 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0936
- Badawy , T. , Estefanous , F. , and Henein , N. , Cycle-by-Cycle Soot Estimation in Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0545 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0545
- Kim , S. , Chung , N. , and Sunwoo , M. , Injection Rate Estimation of a Piezo-Actuated Injector SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0911 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0911
- Magno , A. , Mancaruso , E. , and Vaglieco , B. , Optical Investigation of Injection and Combustion Phases of a Fouled Piezoelectric Injector in a Transparent CR Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1591 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1591
- Oh , B. , Oh , S. , Lee , K. , and Sunwoo , M. , Development of an Injector Driver for Piezo Actuated Common Rail Injectors SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3537 2007 10.4271/2007-01-3537
- Lee , J. , Min , K. , Kang , K. , and Bae , C. , Hydraulic Simulation and Experimental Analysis of Needle Response and Controlled Injection Rate Shape Characteristics in a Piezo-driven Diesel Injector SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1119 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1119
- Arpaia , A. , Catania , A. , Ferrari , A. , and Spessa , E. , Development and Application of an Advanced Numerical Model for CR Piezo Indirect Acting Injection Systems SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1503 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1503
- Skiba , S. and Melbert , J. , Dosing Performance of Piezo Injectors and Sensorless Closed-Loop Controlled Solenoid Injectors for Gasoline Direct Injection SAE Int. J. Engines 5 2 330 335 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0394
- Oki , M. , Matsumoto , S. , Toyoshima , Y. , Ishisaka , K. et al. 180MPa Piezo Common Rail System SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0274 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0274
- Maxwell , J. C. 1873 A Treatise on Electricity and Magnetism Dover 266 0-486-60637-6
- www.klueber.com Specialty lubricants for electrical contacts