This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The CFD Model of the Combustion Process in a Radial Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 13, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The article presents the simulation results of the combustion process made based on a 3D-CFD mathematical model of the aircraft radial engine. The object of research was the 9-cylinder aircraft engine ASZ-62IR. The model comprised of the internal geometry of the cylinder and pipes in the cylinder head together with the inlet pipe. The model has been verified on the base of the pressure characteristics in the inlet pipe obtained from the experiment. In order to reproduce the same process of mixture formation as in the real engine, the model involved the process of induction, compression and combustion. The conducted research was aimed at verifying the influence of switching off one of the spark plugs on the combustion process. The simulation was done for three versions of ignition, for two spark plugs at the same time, only the front spark plug, only the rear spark plug. The research has been conducted in the conditions of maximum constant power of engine that is 686 kW.
As a result of the conducted research, the reaction progress variables in the combustion chamber representing the spread of flame and rate of heat release have been obtained. A distinct influence of the number of operating spark plugs on the combustion process has been revealed. In fact, in the case of lack of ignition in one of the spark plugs the, combustion occurs, but the process prolongs in time. In order to optimize the process of combustion, research for various angles of ignition will be conducted in the future.
|Technical Paper||Multi-dimensional modeling of the air/fuel mixture formation process in a PFI engine for motorcycle applications|
|Technical Paper||New Knock Localization Methodology for SI Engines|
CitationPietrykowski, K., "The CFD Model of the Combustion Process in a Radial Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2578, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2578.
- Czarnigowski , J. , Wendeker , M. , Jaklinski , P. , Nazarewicz , A. et al. Model of injection system for SI radial aircraft engine SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1903 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1903
- Kavtaradze , R.Z. , Zelentsov , A.A. , Skripnik , A.A. 3D Investigation of Features of Realization of Working Processes of Aircraft Piston Engines AVL AST International User Conference 2013 Graz
- Grishin , Y.A. Analysis and Perspective of Development of Aircraft Piston Engines Central Aerohydrodynamic Institute n.a. N.E. Zhukovsky Moscow 2000 51
- Czarnigowski , P. Jakliński , Wendeker , M. Fuelling of aircraft radial piston engines by ES95 and 100LL gasoline Fuel 89 11 2010 10.1016/j.fuel.2010.06.032
- Kavtaradze , R.Z. Theory of Working Processes. Special Chapters BMSTU (Bauman Moscow State Technical Univ. Moscow 2008 720
- Czarnigowski , J. , Wendeker , M. , Jaklinski , P. , Pietrykowski , K. et al. Testing Non-Uniformity of the Combustion Process in a Radial Aircraft Engine SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2074 2007 10.4271/2007-01-2074
- Chandra , H. A Critical Study of the Dual Versus Single Plug Systems in S.I. Engines SAE Technical Paper 940452 1994 10.4271/940452
- Lauvergne , R. and Hallot , J. Investigation of the Effect of Double Ignition on the Combustion Processes in a 2-valves Gasoline Engine Through 3D Simulation SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0010 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0010
- Liu X. , Zhang K. , Li M. at al. Simulation Study about Dual Spark Plug Position for the CNG Engine Combustion Process Advanced Materials Research 712-715 2013 10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.712-715.1197
- Zhou , DQ. , Li , J. , Gao , Y. Research on LPG dual-spark Ignition Engine Combustion by CFD Manufacturing Science And Materials Engineering 443-444 10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.443-444.1032