This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Application of Computational Fluid Dynamics to Explore the Sources of Soot Formation in a Gasoline Direct Injection Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 13, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Gasoline Direct Injection engines are efficient devices which are rivaling diesel engines with thermal efficiency approaching the 40% threshold at part load. Nevertheless, the GDI engine is an important source of dangerous ultra-fine particulate matter. The long-term sustainability of this technology strongly depends on further improvement of engine design and combustion process.
This work presents the initial development of a full-cycle CFD model of a modern wall-guided GDI engine operated in homogeneous and stoichiometric mode. The investigation was carried out at part-load operating conditions, with early injections during the intake stroke. It included three engine speeds at fixed engine-equivalent load. The spray model was calibrated using test-bed and imaging data from the 7-point high-pressure fuel injectors used in the test engine. Experimental data on combustion were also used for calibration purposes, whereas measurements of engine-out soot number density from a Differential Mobility Spectrometer formed the basis and motive of the investigation.
Following the ECU controller, as the speed is increased at fixed engine load, the fuel injection is advanced to enable longer real-time for fuel-air mixing. In spite of stronger in-cylinder motion, this causes extended liquid spray impingement, potentially leading to the formation of liquid film, a source of soot formation during combustion. At increasing engine speed the mixture appears better prepared at spark timing, and the Air Fuel Ratio approaches correct stoichiometry in the vicinity of spark-plug. While the process of mixing continues after combustion commences, leading to new charge stratification, the higher engine speed case shows greater peak temperature during combustion. These mechanisms are used to explain the increase in soot number density measured at higher engine speed.
CitationBonatesta, F., La Rocca, S., Hopkins, E., and Bell, D., "Application of Computational Fluid Dynamics to Explore the Sources of Soot Formation in a Gasoline Direct Injection Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2569, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2569.
- Brugge , D. , Durant , J. , Rioux , C. Near-highway pollutants in motor vehicle exhaust: a review of epidemiologic evidence of cardiac and pulmonary health risks Environ Health 6 23 2007
- Seaton A , Godden D , MacNee W , Donaldson K. Particulate air pollution and acute health effects Lancet 345 8943 176 8 1995
- Heyder , J. Deposition of inhaled particles in the human respiratory tract and consequences for regional targeting in respiratory drug delivery Proc. Am. Thoracic Soc. 1 315 20 2004
- Maricq , M. , Podsiadlik , D. , Brehob , D. , and Haghgooie , M. Particulate Emissions from a Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition (DISI) Engine SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1530 1999 10.4271/1999-01-1530
- Piock , W. , Hoffmann , G. , Berndorfer , A. , Salemi , P. et al. Strategies Towards Meeting Future Particulate Matter Emission Requirements in Homogeneous Gasoline Direct Injection Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 1455 1468 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1212
- Velji , A. , Yeom , K. , Wagner , U. , Spicher , U. et al. Investigations of the Formation and Oxidation of Soot Inside a Direct Injection Spark Ignition Engine Using Advanced Laser-Techniques SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0352 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0352
- Lucchini , T. , D'Errico , G. , Onorati , A. , Bonandrini , G. , Venturoli , L. , Di Gioia , R. Development and application of a computational fluid dynamics methodology to predict fuel-air mixing and sources of soot formation in gasoline direct injection engines Int. J. Engine Res. October 15 2013
- Liu , Y. , Shen , Y. , You , Y. , and Zhao , F. Numerical Simulation on Spray Atomization and Fuel-Air Mixing Process in a Gasoline Direct Injection Engine SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0395 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0395
- Bonatesta , F. , Chiappetta , E. , & La Rocca , A. Part-load particulate matter from a GDI engine and the connection with combustion characteristics Applied Energy 124 366 376 2014
- Choi , K. , Kim , J. , Myung , C. L. , Lee , M. , Kwon , S. , Lee , Y. , Park , S. Effect of the mixture preparation on the nanoparticle characteristics of gasoline direct-injection vehicles Part D: JAuto 226 11 1514 1524 2012
- Malaguti , S. , Fontanesi , S. , Cantore , G. Numerical characterization of a new high-pressure multi-hole GDI injector 23rd Annual Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems, ILASS - Europe 2010 Czech Republic 2010
- Montanaro , A. , Malaguti , S. , and Alfuso , S. Wall Impingement Process of a Multi-Hole GDI Spray: Experimental and Numerical Investigation SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1266 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1266
- Farron , C. , Matthias , N. , Foster , D. , Andrie , M. et al. Particulate Characteristics for Varying Engine Operation in a Gasoline Spark Ignited, Direct Injection Engine SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1220 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1220
- Chen , L. , Stone , R. , Richardson , D. A study of mixture preparation and PM emissions using a direct injection engine fuelled with stoichiometric gasoline/ethanol blends Fuel 96 123 130 2012
- Whelan , I. C. A study of particulate matter emissions from gasoline direct injection engines PhD Thesis National University of Ireland, University College Dublin 2013
- Reitz , R. and Diwakar , R. Effect of Drop Breakup on Fuel Sprays SAE Technical Paper 860469 1986 10.4271/860469
- Reitz , R. and Diwakar , R. Structure of High-Pressure Fuel Sprays SAE Technical Paper 870598 1987 10.4271/870598
- Yi , Y. and DeMinco , C. Numerical Investigation of Mixture Preparation in a GDI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3375 2006 10.4271/2006-01-3375
- Star-CD Methodology Manual, Version 4.20 CD-Adapco 2013
- Bai , C. and Gosman , A. Development of Methodology for Spray Impingement Simulation SAE Technical Paper 950283 1995 10.4271/950283
- Rosa , N. G. , Villedieu , P. , Dewitte , J. , Lavergne , G. A new droplet-wall interaction model Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray System, ICLASS-2006 Japan 2006
- Colin , O. , Benkenida , A. The 3-Zone Extended Coherent Flame Model (ECFM3Z) for computing premixed/diffusion combustion Oil & Gas Science and Technology 59 6 593 609 2004
- Duclos , J. P. , Zolver , M. , Baritaud , T. 3D Modeling of Combustion for DI-SI Engines Oil & Gas Science and Technology 54 2 259 264 1999
- Price , P. , Stone , R. , Collier , T. , and Davies , M. Particulate Matter and Hydrocarbon Emissions Measurements: Comparing First and Second Generation DISI with PFI in Single Cylinder Optical Engines SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1263 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1263
- Fujimoto , H. et al. Study on the oil dilution of a DI gasoline engine - 1st report: dilution on the cylinder wall Proceedings of the JSAE Spring Convention 1999
- Jia , M. , Li , Y. , Xie , M. , Wang , T. Numerical evaluation of the potential of late intake valve closing strategy for diesel PCCI (premixed charge compression ignition) engine in a wide speed and load range Energy 51 203 15 2013