This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulation Studies of SI Engine that Meets the Euro5 Standard, Supply by Gasoline with the Hydrogen Addition
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 13, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper presents the simulation of engine model that was made in AVL Boost Software. The model assumption was the indirect additive supplying hydrogen to the SI engine. The simulation test model of a spark ignition engine, have been developed in the AVL Boost software. The model is based on a real four-cylinder engine, codenamed A14XER that meets the Euro 5 emission standard. This engine is used in passenger vehicles Opel Corsa. In order to most accurate reflection of real engine, the model was developed based on data provided by the engine manufacturer. In the simulation studies two-zone combustion model Vibe (Vibe 2 zone) was used. A General Species Transportation model was also defined, which allowed to use the fuel as a blend of gasoline and hydrogen to supply the engine. Calculations were performed for a full load for different values of rotational speed of the engine crankshaft (from 1000 rpm to 6400 rpm). Simulation studies were performed for the original fuel (gasoline) and hydrogen additives 5, 10, 15 and 20%. The fuel was injected indirectly to the engine, into the engine intake manifold. The model was verified by comparison of the calculated torque, power characteristic and the engine characteristics supplied by the manufacturer. Percentage error matching torque characteristics for these two cases was determined. A comparison of the characteristics of torque, thermal efficiency and the filling factor for different shares of hydrogen were presented.
CitationMagryta, P., Wendeker, M., Majczak, A., Bialy, M. et al., "Simulation Studies of SI Engine that Meets the Euro5 Standard, Supply by Gasoline with the Hydrogen Addition," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2548, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2548.
- Dincer I. Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Technologies for Sustainable Future Jordan Journal of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering 2 1 Mar. 2008 1995-6665 1 14
- Midilli A. , Ay M. , Dincer I , Rosen , M.A. On hydrogen and hydrogen energy strategies-I- current status and needs Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 9 3 2005 291 307 10.1016/j.rser.2004.05.003
- Midilli A. , Ay M. , Dincer I. , Rosen M.A. On hydrogen and hydrogen energy strategies-II: future projections affecting global stability and unrest Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 9 3 2005 309 323 10.1016/j.rser.2004.05.002
- Barretoa L. , Makihiraa A. , Riahia K. The hydrogen economy in the 21st century: a sustainable development scenario International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 28 2003 267 284 10.1016/S0360-3199(02)00074-5
- Grabowski L. , Wendeker M. , Sochaczewski R. , Geca M. The study of hydrogen and gasoline mixtures combustion in a spark-ignition engine Combustion Engines 2013 154 3 428 433 0138-0346
- Negurescu N. , Pana C. , Popa G. M. , Cernat A. Performance Comparison Between Hydrogen and Gasoline Fuelled Spark Ignition Engine Thermal Science 2011 15 4 1155 1164 10.2298/TSCI110203090N
- General Motors 2013 Europe Powertrain Product Portfolio http://gmpowertrain.com
- AVL - Advanced Simulation Technologies 2013 AVL Product Description http://www.avl.com
- Vudumu S. K. , Koylu U. O. Computational modeling, validation, and utilization for predicting the performance, combustion and emission characteristics of hydrogen IC engines Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory 41 February 2014 73 86 10.1016/j.simpat.2013.11.012
- Sopena C. , Dieguez P. M. , Sainz D. , Urroz J.C. , Guelbenzu E. , Gandia L. M. Conversion of a commercial spark ignition engine to run on hydrogen: Performance comparison using hydrogen and gasoline International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 35 3 February 2010 1420 1429 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2009.11.090
- Pourkhesalian A. M. , Shamekhi A. H. , Salimi F. Alternative fuel and gasoline in an SI engine: A comparative study of performance and emissions characteristics Fuel 89 5 May 2010 1056 1063 10.1016/j.fuel.2009.11.025
- Changwei J. , Shuofeng W. Effect of hydrogen addition on the idle performance of a spark ignited gasoline engine at stoichiometric condition International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 34 8 May 2009 3546 3556 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2009.02.052
- Drew A. N. , Timoney D. J. , Smith W. J. A simulation and design tool for hydrogen SI engine systems - Validation of the intake hydrogen flow model International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 32 14 September 2007 3084 3092 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2007.01.016
- Wendeker M. , Grabowski L. , Sochaczewski R. , Jaklinski P. , Magryta P. , Pietrykowski K. Theoretical analysis of a hydrogen support for the combustion in an automotive engine Combustion Engines 2011 0138-0346
- Baranski G. , Wendeker M. , Geca M. , Bialy M. Effect of intake hydrogen addition on the performance and emission characteristics of a spark-ignition gasoline engine Combustion Engines 2013 154 3 442 448 0138-0346