This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design, Modeling and Simulation of a New Compact Electro-Hydraulic Brake System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 28, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
With the advantages of free from engine vacuum, wheel cylinder pressure decoupled from the brake pedal and can be regulated individually and precisely, the brake-by-wire system has a huge application potential in vehicles, especially in electric vehicles (EV) and hybrid electric vehicles (HEV). Electro-hydraulic Brake system is the first approach towards brake-by-wire technology.
This paper proposed a new compact EHB, aiming at decreasing the size, volume and cost without compromise of performance. The main components of the proposed EHB are pedal simulator, motor pump, accumulator and eight solenoid valves. An authentic model of the EHB and other key components of the brake system were established based on the test data from the test bench. A control algorithm using Round-Robin scheduling was presented to regulate the fluid pressure. Some parameters of the components were discussed to research their effects on system performance. The effects of pressure regulation were examined in simulation, and the results showed that the response time and the control precision of the system are feasible for vehicle application.
CitationPan, N., Yu, L., Wang, Z., Ma, L. et al., "Design, Modeling and Simulation of a New Compact Electro-Hydraulic Brake System," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2535, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2535.
- Batt , R. , Plastic Components for Windshield Wiper Systems SAE Technical Paper 790201 1979 10.4271/790201
- Maisch , W. , Jonner , W. , Mergenthaler , R. , and Sigl , A. , ABS5 and ASR5: The New ABS/ASR Family to Optimize Directional Stability and Traction SAE Technical Paper 930505 1993 10.4271/930505
- van Zanten , A. , Erhardt , R. , and Pfaff , G. , VDC, The Vehicle Dynamics Control System of Bosch SAE Technical Paper 950759 1995 10.4271/950759
- van Zanten , A. , Erhardt , R. , Lutz , A. , Neuwald , W. et al. Simulation for the Development of the Bosch-VDC SAE Technical Paper 960486 1996 10.4271/960486
- Jonner , W. , Winner , H. , Dreilich , L. , and Schunck , E. , Electrohydraulic Brake System - The First Approach to Brake-By-Wire Technology SAE Technical Paper 960991 1996 10.4271/960991
- Nakamura , E. , Soga , M. , Sakai , A. , Otomo , A. et al. Development of Electronically Controlled Brake System for Hybrid Vehicle SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0300 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0300
- Soga , M. , Shimada , M. , Sakamoto , J. , and Otomo , A. , Development of vehicle dynamics management system for hybrid vehicles: ECB system for improved environmental and vehicle dynamic performance JSAE Review 23 2002 459 464
- von Albrichsfeld , C. and Karner , J. , Brake System for Hybrid and Electric Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1217 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1217
- Yeo , H. , Koo , C. , Jung , W. , Kim , D. et al. Development of Smart Booster Brake Systems for Regenerative Brake Cooperative Control SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2356 2011 10.4271/2011-01-2356
- Petruccelli , L. , Velardocchia , M. , and Sorniotti , A. , Electro-Hydraulic Braking System Modelling and Simulation SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3336 2003 10.4271/2003-01-3336
- Park , M. , Kim , S. , Yang , L. , and Kim , K. , Development of the Control Logic of Electronically Controlled Hydraulic Brake System for Hybrid Vehicle SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1215 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1215
- Aoki , Y. , Suzuki , K. , Nakano , H. , Akamine , K. et al. Development of Hydraulic Servo Brake System for Cooperative Control with Regenerative Brake SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0868 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0868
- Leiber , T. , Koglsperger , C. , and Unterfrauner , V. , Modular Brake System with Integrated Functionalities ATZ Magzine 113 6 20 25
- TRW. Integrated Brake Control http://www.trw.com/sites/default/files/TRW_ibc_en.pdf
- Limpert , R. , Brake Design and Safety Second 223 233
- Pang , P. and Agnew , D. , Brake System Component Characterization for System Response Performance: A System Level Test Method and Associated Theoretical Correlation SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0726 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0726
- Li , L. , Song , J. , Yang , C. , Zhou , Y. et al. Tire Force Fast Estimation Method for Vehicle Dynamics Stability Real Time Control SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4244 2007 10.4271/2007-01-4244
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Standard Road Vehicle-Hydraulic Brake Hose Assemblies for Use With Nonpetroleum-Base Hydraulic Fluids SAE Standard J1401 Jun. 2003
- Nishizawa , Y. , Kosaka , K. , Kurita , Y. , and Oura , Y. , Influence of Pad Thickness and Surface Roughness on Pad Stiffness SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1817 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1817
- Zhao , J. , Li , Y. , and Anger , S. , Disc Brake Caliper System Modelling SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3132 2001 10.4271/2001-01-3132
- Wagh , NP. Design and Analysis of Modular Caliper Assembly Bachelor Dissertation Wichita State University. 2000
- Velardocchia , M. , A Methodology to Investigate the Dynamic Characteristics of ESP and EHB Hydraulic Units SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1281 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1281
- Qi , X. , Song , J. , and Wang , H. , Influence of Hydraulic ABS Parameters on Solenoid Valve Dynamic Response and Braking Effect SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1590 2005 10.4271/2005-01-1590
- Wang , W. , Dynamics Analysis on Electronic Stability Control System Hydraulic Control Unit and Establishing an Integrated Simulation Platform PhD Dissertation Tsinghua University. 2011