This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Nonlinearities in Friction Brake NVH - Experimental and Numerical Studies
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 28, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Industry and academia agree that brake squeal is a nonlinear phenomenon. Consequently, using solely linear finite-element (FE) models and assessing the tendency of a brake system to squeal exclusively on the stability of the trivial solution is not appropriate. However, the latter approach - in the brake community known as complex eigenvalue analysis (CEA) - is extensively used in industry. Until now, nonlinear simulation approaches considering existence and stability of periodic solutions are mostly limited to minimal models. Among the variety of reasons for this the complexity of large-scale nonlinear models as well as the identification of nonlinear material and system parameters are crucial.
This contribution discusses the relevance of nonlinearities in friction brake noise, vibration, harshness (NVH) and presents a novel simulation approach for brake squeal. On the basis of experimental results it is pointed out that the consideration of nonlinearities in simulation as well as new methods for numerical studies are necessary to cope with the system-inherent phenomena. After presenting experimental methods to characterize nonlinearities in brake systems, a novel simulation approach for brake squeal is introduced. This approach is based on subspace projection and allows the calculation of limit cycles considering nonlinearities such as joint damping. Studies are conducted for minimal models and a full-scale industrial FE model.
|Technical Paper||Brake Rotor Modal Frequencies: Measurement and Control|
|Technical Paper||Fatigue Prediction for Wireform Supports: A Mathematical Review of NVH Performance|
CitationGräbner, N., Tiedemann, M., Von Wagner, U., and Hoffmann, N., "Nonlinearities in Friction Brake NVH - Experimental and Numerical Studies," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2511, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2511.
- Wernitz , B.A. , Hoffmann , N.P. Recurrence analysis and phase space reconstruction of irregular vibration in friction brakes: Signatures of chaos in steady sliding J. Sound and Vib. 331 3887 3896 2012
- Hochlenert , D. and Von Wagner , U. How Do Nonlinearities Influence Brake Squeal? SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2365 2011 10.4271/2011-01-2365
- Ouyang , H. , Nack , W. , Yuan , Y. , Chen , F. , Numerical analysis of automotive disc brake squeal: a review Int. J. Vehicle Noise and Vibration 1 3/4 207 231 2005
- von Wagner , U. , Hornig , S. , Gräbner , N. , Gödecker , H. Methods for Rapid Development of Silent Brakes - Actual Research and Future Prospects Proceedings of 32nd International μ Symposium, VDI Fortschritt Berichte 773 268 299 2013
- Hornig , S. and Von Wagner , U. Improvement of Brake Squeal Simulation Reliability by Measurement and Identification of Friction Material Properties SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1806 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1806
- Segalman , D. , Gregory , D. , Starr , M. , Resor , B. , et al. Handbook on Dynamics of Jointed Structures Sandia Report SAND2009-4164 2009
- Segalman , D. , Bergman , L. , Ewins , D. , Report on the SNL/NSF International Workshop on Joint Mechanics Arlington Virginia, 16-18 October 2006 Sandia Report 2007 7761 2007
- Gaul , L. , Nitsche , R. , The role of friction in mechanical joints Appl. Mech Rev. 54 2 93 105 2001
- Tiedemann , M. , Kruse , S. , Hoffmann , N. , Dominant damping effects in friction brake noise, vibration and harshness: the relevance of joints Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 0954407014536378 June 9 2014 10.1177/0954407014536378
- Tiedemann , M. , Kruse , S. , Hoffmann , N. , Dominant damping effects: The relevance of joints Proceedings of Eurobrake 2013 2013
- Hoffmann , N. , Gaul , L. , Effects of damping on mode-coupling instability in friction induced oscillations J. Appl. Math. Mech. 83 524 534 2003
- Fritz , G. , Sinou , J.-J. , Duffal , J.-M. , Jézéquel , L. Investigation of the relationship between damping and mode coupling patterns in case of brake squeal J. of Sound and Vib. 307 591 609 2007
- Tiedemann , M. , Stender , M. , Hoffmann , N. , Impact of joints on dynamic behavior of brake systems Proceedings of Eurobrake 2014
- Sinou , J.-J. Transient non-linear dynamic analysis of automotive disc brake squeal - On the need to consider both stability and non-linear analysis Mechanics Research Communications 37 1 96 105 January 2010
- Quraishi , S. M. , Gräbner , N. , Schröder , C. , Mehrmann V. , von Wagner , U. , New Numerical Methods for the Complex Eigenvalue Analysis of Disk Brake Squeal Proceedings of Eurobrake 2014
- Hochlenert , D. Normalformen und Einzugsbereiche nichtlinearer dynamischer Systeme Habilitationsschrift TU Berlin 2012