This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study on the Transfer Path Analysis of Brake Creep Groan Noise
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 28, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Creep groan noise occurs in a just moving vehicle by the simultaneous application of torque to the wheel and the gradual release of brake pressure in-vehicle. It is the low frequency noise giving the driver a very uncomfortable feeling. It is caused by the stick-sleep phenomenon at the lining and disc interface. Recently, the field claim of low frequency creep groan has increased. There are a lot of efforts to improve creep groan noise by means of modification of lining material. In this paper, Transfer path of creep groan noise was analyzed through ODS and TPA. Additionally the correlation between Source (Brake torque variation, Brake vibration) and Creep Groan Sound level was discussed. Finally countermeasure to Creep Groan noise was suggested.
CitationWoo, J., Kim, J., Kim, K., and Ko, D., "A Study on the Transfer Path Analysis of Brake Creep Groan Noise," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2510, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2510.
- Jung, T. and Chung, S., “Research for Brake Creep Groan Noise with Dynamometer,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 5(4):1224-1229, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-1824.
- Joo, K., Jeon, H., Sung, W., and Cho, M., “Transfer Path Analysis of Brake Creep Noise,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 6(3):1408-1417, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-2036.
- Yoon, K., Lee, J., and Cho, S., “The Study of Vehicle Structural Characteristics for Creep Groan Noise,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2363, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011- 01-2363.
- Kim, J., Lee, C., and Kim, S., “Investigation on Correlation Between Groan Noise and Coefficient of Friction With Friction Material's Difference,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0827, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-0827.
- Brecht, J., Hoffrichter, W., and Dohle, A., “Mechanisms of Brake Creep Groan,” SAE Technical Paper 973026, 1997, doi:10.4271/973026.
- Crowther, A., Yoon, J., and Singh, R., “An Explanation for Brake Groan Based on Coupled Brake-Driveline System Analysis,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2260, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-2260.
- Donley, M. and Riesland, D., “Brake Groan Simulation for a McPherson Strut Type Suspension,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1627, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-1627.