This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Battery Electric Bus Simulator - A Tool for Energy Consumption Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 30, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents the design, implementation and validation of a forward simulator for a battery electric bus, developed in MATLAB/Simulink. This simulator allows performing energy consumption analyses for different bus routes. In addition, a user can modify some parameters that affect the powertrain operation to understand their influence in the energy consumption of the bus. These analyses allow the electric bus manufacturers to adapt their powertrain designs and control strategies for different transit agencies with different routes and energy requirements.
The simulator was validated using real data from a battery electric bus. The results showed a good correlation between the real and the simulated data. In particular, the absolute error between the real and the simulated State of Charge (SOC), which is one of the most important parameters for this kind of vehicles, was 3.24%.
|Technical Paper||The Impact of Vehicle-Integrated Photovoltaics on Heavy-Duty Electric Vehicle Battery Cost and Lifespan|
|Technical Paper||Comparative Studies of Drivetrain Systems for Electric Vehicles|
CitationRios, J., Sauras-Perez, P., Gil, A., Lorico, A. et al., "Battery Electric Bus Simulator - A Tool for Energy Consumption Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2435, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2435.
- U.S. Department of Transportation National Transportation Statistics 2011 2012
- Guzzella , L. , Sciarretta , A. 2007 Vehicle Propulsion Systems: Introduction to Modeling and Optimization Springer Berlin Heidelberg 338
- Gao , D. W. , Mi , C. , and Emadi , A. , 2007 Modeling and Simulation of Electric and Hybrid Vehicles Proceedings of the IEEE 95 4 729 745
- Pisu , P. , Hubert , C. , Dembski , N. , Rizzoni , G. , Josephson , J. , Russell , J. , and Carroll , M. , 2005 Modeling and Design of Heavy Duty Hybrid Electric Vehicles IMECE 2005 5-11 November Orlando, FL.
- Argonne National Laboratory Argonne TTRDC - Modeling, Simulation & Software -PSAT 2011
- Wipke , K. B. , Cuddy , M. R. , and Burch , S. D. 1999 ADVISOR 2.1: A User-Friendly Advanced Powertrain Simulation using a Combined Backward/Forward Approach IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 48 6 1751 1761
- Argonne National Laboratory Autonomie-Home www.autonomie.net April 2014
- Wu Xiaogang , and Lu Languang 2012 Simulation research of energy management strategy for range extended electric bus 2012 IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC) 354 357
- Reddy , G. N. , 2009 An EV-simulator for Electric Vehicle Education 2009 International Conference on Engineering Education (ICEED) 131 137
- Reddy , G. N. 2012 A MATLAB-based tool for EV-design 2012 International Conference on Education and e-Learning Innovations (ICEELI) 1 6
- Maia , R. , Silva , M. , Araujo , R. , 2011 Electric vehicle simulator for energy consumption studies in electric mobility systems 2011 IEEE Forum on Integrated and Sustainable Transportation System (FISTS) 227 232
- Lin , C. , Filipi , Z. , Wang , Y. , Louca , L. et al. Integrated, Feed-Forward Hybrid Electric Vehicle Simulation in SIMULINK and its Use for Power Management Studies SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1334 2001 10.4271/2001-01-1334
- Nallabolu , S. , Kostetzer , L. , and Rudnyi , E. , Simulation of Hybrid Vehicle Powertrain with an Advanced Battery Model SAE Technical Paper 2011-28-0069 2011 10.4271/2011-28-0069
- He , Y. , Rios , J. , Chowdhury , M. , 2012 Forward Power-Train Energy Management Modeling for Assessing Benefits of Integrating Predictive Traffic Data into Plug-in-Hybrid Electric Vehicles Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment 17 3 201 207
- Project Green http://www.sc-tac.com/project-green.aspx March 2014