This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Torque Model for a Dual Fuel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 30, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
With growing concern about GHG emissions the use of natural gas as fuel has been seen as a very interesting alternative. Natural gas, whose main constituent is methane, due to its higher ratio of hydrogen/carbon and its higher content of energy has a potential to generate about 22% less carbon dioxide emissions compared to diesel considering the same combustion efficiency. According to tests conducted so far, substituting a portion of the diesel fuel with natural gas in a compression ignition internal combustion engine gives an efficiency equivalent as that of the same engine running just on diesel, maintaining the same torque and power curve.
Controlling the torque in the dual fuel engine with diesel and CNG is an absolute necessity. This allows not only converting a required driver demand torque into actuator signal but also calculating if a change in operating point of any of the torque controlling factors is needed so that the driver demand can be immediately realized. This paper describes the result of measurements performed to evaluate the possibility of using a semi-empirical torque model along with a torque structure to control a dual-fuel engine.
CitationGopalakrishnan, M. and Tischer, F., "Torque Model for a Dual Fuel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2417, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2417.
- Tischer , F. and Bizi , R. Estudo de emissões em motor flex gnv+diesel EMISSÕES - 79-00001,Simposio Internacional de Engenharia Autmotiva
- Canelada , M. and Tischer , F. DualFuel System, diesel and natural gas - Optimizing the concept SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2616 2007 10.4271/2007-01-2616
- Nwafor , O.M.I. Effect of advanced injection timing on emission characteristics of diesel engine running on natural gas Science Direct, Renewable Energy 32 2007 2361 2368
- Gerhardt , J. Hönninger , H. Bischof , H. A new approach to functional and software structure for engine management systems - BOSCH ME7 International Congress & Exposition Detroit, MI, USA 1998 SP-1357
- Bari S , Rice G. Knocking in gas-fumigated dual-fuel engine Proceedings of the fourth international conference on small engines, their fuels and the environment 21 24 September 1993