This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cost effective and Sustainable Alternate Material for Air Brake Tubings (ABT) in Commercial Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 30, 2014 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The automotive industry is constantly looking for new alternate material and cost is one of the major driving factors for selecting the right material. ABT is a safety critical part and care has to be taken while selecting the appropriate material. Polyamide (PA12)  is the commonly available material which is currently used for ABT applications. Availability and material cost is always a major concern for commercial vehicle industries.
This paper presents the development of ABT with an alternative material which has superior heat resistance. Thermoplastic Elastomer Ether Ester Block Copolymer (TEEE)  materials were tried in place Polyamide 12 for many good reasons. The newly employed material has better elastic memory and improved resistance to battery acid, paints and solvents. It doesn't require plasticizer for extrusion process because of which it has got excellent long term flexibility and superior kink resistance over a period of time. Also it has got better heat ageing properties and higher burst pressure at elevated temperature.
The development involves testing and characterization of the materials, making of prototypes and validations. Tubings were tested as per DIN 73378, DIN 74324 and ISO 7628 standards and found to meet the performance requirements. Approx. 20% cost savings is achieved through TEEE. This is one of the cost effective and sustainable solutions taken by Ashok Leyland Ltd and first of its kind in India.
CitationVenkatesan, C. and DeepaLakshmi, R., "Cost effective and Sustainable Alternate Material for Air Brake Tubings (ABT) in Commercial Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2409, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2409.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
|Unnamed Dataset 6|
|Unnamed Dataset 7|
|Unnamed Dataset 8|
- DIN 73378 - Polyamide tubing for use in motor vehicle Feb 1996
- DIN 74324-1 - Air braking system, Polyamide tubes and pipes part-1 Requirements and testing Feb 1996
- ISO 7628 - 2- Road vehicles - Thermoplastics tubing for air braking systems Part 2: Mounting on vehicle and test methods 2010
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Standard Nonmetallic Air Brake System Tubing SAE Standard J844 Dec. 2012
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Standard Accelerated Exposure of Automotive Exterior Materials Using a Controlled Irradiance Water-Cooled Xenon Arc Apparatus SAE Standard J1960 Nov. 2008
- ASTM D 2444-99(2010) Standard Test Method for Determination of the Impact Resistance of Thermoplastic Pipe and Fittings by Means of a Tup (Falling Weight)
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Standard Air Brake Tubing - Performance Requirements SAE Standard J2547