This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Steer-by-Wire System that Enables Remote and Autonomous Operation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 30, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Original equipment manufacturers and their customers are demanding more efficient, lighter, smaller, safer, and smarter systems across the entire product line. In the realm of automotive, agricultural, construction, and earth-moving equipment industries, an additional highly desired feature that has been steadily trending is the capability to offer remote and autonomous operation. With the previous requirements in mind, the authors have proposed and validated a new electrohydraulic steering technology that offers energy efficiency improvement, increased productivity, enhanced safety, and adaptability to operating conditions. In this paper, the authors investigate the new steering technology's capacity to support remote operation and demonstrate it on a compact wheel loader, which can be remotely controlled without an operator present behind the steering wheel. This result establishes the new steer-by-wire technology's capability to enable full autonomous operation as well.
|Technical Paper||Simulation Tools and Evaluation Criteria for Steering Wheel Feel Improvement of an Electric Power Steering System|
|Technical Paper||Optimization of the Customer Experience for Routine Handling Performance|
CitationDaher, N. and Ivantysynova, M., "A Steer-by-Wire System that Enables Remote and Autonomous Operation," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2404, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2404.
- Raneda , A. , Vilenius , J. , Huhtala , K. Teleoperation interfaces for a remote controlled hydraulic mobile machine Proceedings of the IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics 2 784 789 2003
- Vilenius , J. , Hyvönen , M. , Vuohijoki , A. , Karhu , O. et al. The Prototype and the Simulation Results of Hydraulic Power Transmission of Teleoperated Skid Steered Mobile Machine SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3470 2006 10.4271/2006-01-3470
- Chen P. , Sun Z. , Mehlschau J. J. , Smith N. , Frank A. Development of a Remote Control System for a Front-End Loader Applied Engineering in Agriculture 12 6 623 631 1996
- Heikkinen Jani E. , Handroos Heikki M. Haptic Controller for Mobile Machine Teleoperation International Review of Automatic Control 6 3 228 235 2013
- Rahmfeld , R. and Ivantysynova , M. Energy Saving Hydraulic Actuators for Mobile Machines Proceedings of 1st Bratislavian Fluid Power Sysmposium 47 57 Píla, Slovakia 1998
- Daher , N. and Ivantysynova , M. Energy Analysis of an Original Steering Technology that Saves Fuel and Boosts Efficiency Energy Conversion and Management 2013
- Daher , N. and Ivantysynova , M. Novel Energy-Saving Steer-by-Wire System for Articulated Steering Vehicles: A Compact Wheel Loader Case Study Proceedings of the 13th Scandinavian International Conference on Fluid Power, SICFP2013 Linkoping, Sweden 2013
- Daher , N. and Ivantysynova , M. Pump Controlled Steer- by-Wire System SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2349 2013 10.4271/2013-01-2349
- Daher , N. and Ivantysynova , M. An Indirect Adaptive Velocity Controller for a Novel Steer-by-Wire System ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control 2013