This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Methodology for the Derivation of Movement-and Load Spectra for Energy-Efficiency Test Cycles of Heavy Equipment Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 30, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
As a result of the Kyoto Protocol , the European Union's legislation demands higher saving rates for the total energy consumption of technical equipment. Heavy Equipment, such as construction- and agricultural machines, contributes over 80% of the total off-road diesel fuel consumption in Germany per annum. It is therefore necessary to provide helpful solutions in order to reach this ambitious aim.
The German Federal Ministry of Education and Research cooperates with machine manufacturers, component suppliers and research institutes in the area of heavy equipment. Under the project name TEAM  a three year project has been started, which is focused on the development and integration of new propulsion and steering systems for heavy equipment. One task within the project is finding an appropriate way of evaluating the energy efficiency of the enhanced machines, after the powertrain modifications have been applied to it.
The wide range of applicability, as well as the existence of one or more work functions, require a special approach for evaluating the energy efficiency of this category of vehicles. Therefore, a methodology was developed, which provides a uniform way to evaluate the energy efficiency of heavy equipment. This methodology is subdivided in a workflow of three consecutive sections. The first section, which leads to a derivation of representative movement- and load spectra is described in this article. The concept of the methodology is valid for all types of examined vehicles. Being funded by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research, the motivation for this resulting methodology is to remove the gap of missing efficiency evaluation practice for heavy equipment for European Union legislation processes in the coming years.
CitationScherer, P. and Geimer, M., "A Methodology for the Derivation of Movement-and Load Spectra for Energy-Efficiency Test Cycles of Heavy Equipment Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2357, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2357.
- United Nations Kyoto Protocol To The United Nations Framework Convention On Climate Change 08 04 2014 http://unfccc.int/resource/docs/convkp/kpeng.html 1997
- Weber , J. , Scherer , P. et. al. TEAM - Effizienz treibt uns an 07 04 2014 http://www.team-mobilemaschinen.de/ 2013
- Deiters , H. Standardisierung von Lastzyklen zur Beurteilung der Effizienz mobiler Arbeitsmaschinen Shaker 2009 978-9-8322-8111-3
- Degrell , O. and Feuerstein , T. DLG-PowerMix™ - ein praxisorientierter Traktorentest VDI-Berichte(1798) 2003
- Grisso , R. , Pitman , R. et.al. “Gear Up and Throttle Down” to Save Fuel Virginia Cooperative Extension Paper No. 442-450 2001
- VDI-Gesellschaft Produktion und Logistik (GPL) VDI Richtlinie 2198 - Typenblätter für Flurföderzeuge Beuth Verlag GmbH 2012
- Bruhn , M. Wirtschaftlichkeit des Qualitätsmanagements Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 1998 3-540-63033-3
- Irrek , W. , and Thomas , S. Definition Energieeffizienz 07 04 2014 http://wupperinst.org/uploads/tx_wupperinst/energieeffizienz_definition.pdf Wuppertal Institut für Klima, Umwelt, Energie GmbH 2008
- Pehnt , M. Energieeffzienz Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2010 10.1007/978-3-642-14251-2_1
- Ryken , M. and L' heureux , J. Understanding Customer Duty Cycle Through JDLink™ 71 st International Conference on Agricultural Engineering 2013 VDI Verlag GmbH 2013
- von Hyningen-Huene , M. , Baldinger , M. , Pöttinger A. Tractor-Implement-Automation and ist application to a tractor-loader wagon combination 2 nd International Conference on Machine Control & Guidance Schriftenreihe des Instituts für Geodäsie und Geoinformation 2010 171 185
- Ankerst , M. , Breunig , M. Kriegel H-P. OPTICS: Ordering Points To Identify the Clustering Structure ACM SIGMOD international conference on Management of data ACM Press 1999 49 60
- Ester , M. , Kriegel H-P. , Sander , J. , Xu , X. A density-based algorithm for discovering clusters in large spatial databases with noise Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD-96) AAAI Press 1996 1-57735-004-9 226 231