This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Durability Enhancement of Powertrain Mounts for an Off-Road Commercial Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 30, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The durability of the components in a vehicle plays one of the major roles in its life cycle cost. The powertrain mount is one such component since its rubber characteristics have significant impact on the vehicle's NVH and fatigue life. This paper presents the enhanced durability benefits obtained by changing the polymer composition, manufacturing methods and design optimization of a powertrain mount for an off-road commercial vehicle.
The methodology involved characterization of the existing mount, arriving a new compound formulation, making of prototypes, experimental validation for durability and repeatability in the laboratory combined with rigorous on field vehicle trials. NVH measurements were also carried out on the improved mounts. The above exhaustive exercise resulted in the development of a comprehensively far better mount than an existing mount with improved durability without compromise on NVH properties. The cost benefit in terms of the total vehicle life was enhanced to a large extent.
|Technical Paper||Vehicle Surfaces: A Parking Lot PV Solar Energy Power Generation System|
|Technical Paper||Truck Starting Using Electrochemical Capacitors|
|Magazine Issue||Automotive Engineering International 2009-10-01|
CitationChokkalingam, V. and Rao, M., "Durability Enhancement of Powertrain Mounts for an Off-Road Commercial Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2312, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2312.
- Gent AN. Engineering with rubber Hanser Gardner 2001
- Szabo J.P. Characterization of Engine Mount Elastomers Defense R&D Canada - Atlantic, Dartmouth NS (CAN), DRDC-ATLANTIC-TM-2004-275; Technical Memorandum 01 Feb 2005
- Kim W.D. , Lee H.J. , Kim J.Y. , Koh S.-K. Fatigue life estimation of an engine rubber mount International Journal of Fatigue 26 2004 553 560 10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2003.08.025
- SINGH R Dynamic design of automotive systems: Engine mounts and Structural joints SaÅdhanaÅ 25 June 2000 319 330
- ALS.028.02 Design Manual - Engine Mounts Ashok Leyland Standard 10 03 2011
- Cummins AEB Number 21.36 Installation Requirements - Engine mounting Application Engineering Bulleting from Cummins Mar 2006
- IVECO standard 18-0401 Plugs and Bushings Rubber-Metal Suspension for Various Groups Iveco standard for Engine Mounts
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice Recommended Guidelines for Fatigue Testing of Elastomeric Materials and Components SAE Standard J1183 Feb. 1998
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice Classification System for Rubber Materials SAE Standard J200 Dec. 2011