This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Assessment of the Vehicle's Interior Wind Noise Due to Measurement of Exterior Flow Quantities
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 30, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 8th International Styrian Noise, Vibration & Harshness Congress: The European Automotive Noise Conference
The optimal styling of the exterior surface of a vehicle and its suspension system have a direct impact on interior wind noise. Both are determined in early project phases when no hardware prototype is available. Turbulent flows produce both external pressure fluctuations at the vehicle shell, known as hydrodynamic excitation, and sound waves, known as acoustic excitation. Hydrodynamic and acoustic sound sources are evaluated separately and relative to each other in the frequency domain in order to perform evaluations of different body shapes. The technical aim of the presented work is to investigate how acoustic quantities measured at the outside of a vehicle can be used to assess the influence of styling modifications to interior sound pressure level. The methodology is required to be capable of being integrated into the serial development process and therefore be quickly applicable. MAGNA STEYR Engineering has conducted extensive research to develop a method to ensure the best option is selected in the early project stages.
CitationMüller, G., Grabner, G., Wiesenegger, M., and Jany, J., "Assessment of the Vehicle's Interior Wind Noise Due to Measurement of Exterior Flow Quantities," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2050, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2050.
- Zeller , P. Handbuch Fahrzeugakustik Vieweg+Teubner, GWV Fachverlage GmbH Wiesbaden 2009
- Hartmann , M. ; Ocker , J. ; Lemke , T. ; Mutzke , A. ; Schwarz , V. ; Tokuno , H. ; Toppinga , R. ; Unterlechner , P. ; Wickern , G Wind noise caused by the A-pillar and the side mirror flow of a generic vehicle model 18th AIAA/CEAS aeroacoustics conference (2012) american institute of aeronautics and astronautics
- Peng , G. Measurement of Exterior Surface Pressures and Interior Cabin Noise in Response to Vehicle Form Changes SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1618 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1618
- Helfer , M. ; Bathelt , H. ; Scheinhardt , M. ; Sell , H. ; Sottek R. und Guidati S. Messung und Analyse Sound Engineering im Automobilbereich 339 426 Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2010
- Ask , J. ; Davidson , L. The Near Field Acoustics of a Generic Side Mirror based on an Incompressible Approach Department of Applied Mechanics, Chalmers University of Technology 2005
- Hartmann , M. ; Tokuno , H. ; Ocker , J. ; Decker , F. ; Blanchet , D. Windgeräusch eines generischen Fahrzeugmodells: Synchrone Nahfeld-Fernfeld und Fernfeld-Innenraum Messungen sowie Simulationen DAGA 2014 Oldenburg, Deutschland