This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of POMDME Blend on PAH Emissions and Particulate Size Distribution from an In-Use Light-Duty Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Polyoxymethylene dimethyl ether (POMDME) is a synthetic fuel from alternative energy sources, which can be blended in any ratio with petroleum diesel fuel.
The regulated and non-regulated emissions, especially polyaromatic hydrocarbons (PAH) and particle number size distribution (PNSD), from an old Euro-3 diesel engine fueled with a 7,5% blend of POMDME in commercial diesel fuel were measured and compared to the base diesel fuel, after adjusting exhaust gas ratio (EGR) in order to match the level of NOx emission.
The experimental results show a significant reduction in soot and particulate matter (PM) emissions. The number of particles smaller than 30 nm is slightly increased at low speed and low load operating conditions, while at high speed the number concentration of particles larger than 30 nm is reduced.
The PAH emissions were found higher for the oxygenated fuel blend than for the base fuel. This result is consistent with the exhaust gas temperature profiles during the PAH sampling which suggest that the oxidation catalyst might have a slightly lower catalytic activity when using this oxygenated fuel.
|Technical Paper||Effects of Fuel Injection Conditions on Driving Performance of a DME Diesel Vehicle|
|Technical Paper||The Effect of Oxygenated Fuels on Emissions from a Modern Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine|
CitationPellegrini, L., Patrini, R., and Marchionna, M., "Effect of POMDME Blend on PAH Emissions and Particulate Size Distribution from an In-Use Light-Duty Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1951, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1951.
- Marchionna , M. and Sanfilippo , D. High Quality Components for Clean Transportation Fuels Hydrocarb. Eng. 7 7 49 51 2002
- Burger , J. , Siegert , M. , Ströfer , E. , and Hasse , H. Poly(oxymethylene) Dimethyl Ethers as Components of Tailored Diesel Fuel: Properties, Synthesis and Purification Concepts Fuel 89 3315 3319 2010
- Lumpp , B. , Rothe , D. , Pastötter , C. , Lämmermann , R. et al. Oxymethylene Ethers as Diesel Fuel Additives of the Future MTZ 72 3 34 38 2011
- Pellegrini , L. , Marchionna , M. , Patrini , R. , Beatrice , C. et al. Combustion Behaviour and Emission Performance of Neat and Blended Polyoxymethylene Dimethyl Ethers in a Light-Duty Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1053 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1053
- Pellegrini , L. , Marchionna , M. , Patrini , R. , and Florio , S. Emission Performance of Neat and Blended Polyoxymethylene Dimethyl Ethers in an Old Light-Duty Diesel Car SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1035 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1035
- Martini , N. and Schell , J. Plant Oils as Fuel, Present State of Science and Future Development Springer Verlag 65 1998
- Sharp , C. , Howell , S. , and Jobe , J. The Effect of Biodiesel Fuels on Transient Emissions from Modern Diesel Engines, Part I Regulated Emissions and Performance SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1967 2000 10.4271/2000-01-1967
- Löfvenberg , U. The BEST experiences with low blends in diesel and petrol fuels BEST (BioEthanol for Sustainable Transport) Deliverable n. D3.15 March 2010 http://www.best-europe.org/upload/BEST_documents/info_documents/Best%20reports%20etc/D3.15_The%20BEST%20experiences%20with%20low%20blends%20in%20diesel%20and%20petrol%20fuels.pdf
- Winklmayr , W. ; Reischl , G. P. ; Lindner , A. O. and Berner , A. A new electromobility spectrometer for the measurement of aerosol size distributions in the size range from 1 to 1000 nm Journal of Aerosol Science 1991 22 3 289 96
- Abdul-Khalek , I. , Kittelson , D. , and Brear , F. The Influence of Dilution Conditions on Diesel Exhaust Particle Size Distribution Measurements SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1142 1999 10.4271/1999-01-1142
- Carbone , R. , Jørgensen , A. , Ranchet , N. , Rickeard , D.J. et al. Fuel Effects on the Characteristics of Particle Emissions from Advanced Engines and Vehicles CONCAWE Report n. 1/05 January 2005
- Swanson , J. J. , Kittelson , D. B. , Watts , W. F. , Gladis , D. D. et al. Influence of Storage and Release on Particle Emissions from New and Used CRTs Atmospheric Environment 2009 43 3998 4004
- Nabi , M. N. , and Hustad , J. E. Influence of Oxygenates on fine Particle and Regulated Emissions from a Diesel Engine Fuel 2012 93 181 188
- Tsolakis , A. Effects on particle size distribution from the Diesel Engine Operating on RME-Biodiesel with EGR Energy & Fuels 2006 20 1418 1424
- Doel , R. , Jørgensen , R. , Lilley , L.C. , Mann , N. et al. Evaluation of Automotive Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbon Emissions CONCAWE Report n. 4/05 June 2005
- Guarieiro , A. L.N. , Santos , J. V. da S. , Eiguren-Fernandez , A. , Torres , E. A. et al. Redox Activity and PAH Content in Size-Classified Nanoparticles Emitted by a Diesel Engine Fuelled with Biodiesel and Diesel Blendes Fuel 116 490 497 2014
- Doel , R. , Jørgensen , R. , King , D.J. , Mann , N et al. Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons in Automotive Exhaust Emissions and Fuels CONCAWE Report n. 98/55 November 1998
- Karavalakis , G. , Stournas , S. , Fontaras , G. , Samaras , Z. et al. The Effect of Biodiesel on PAHs, Nitro-PAHs and Oxy-PAHs Emissions from a Light Vehicle Operated Over the European and the Artemis Driving Cycles SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1895 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1895
- Ogawa , H. , Miyamoto , N. , and Yagi , M. Chemical-Kinetic Analysis on PAH Formation Mechanisms of Oxygenated Fuels SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3190 2003 10.4271/2003-01-3190
- Karavalakis , G. , Fontaras , G. , Bakeas , E. , and Stournas , S. Effect of Biodiesel Origin on the Regulated and PAH Emissions from a Modern Passenger Car SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0615 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0615
- Martini , G. , Astorga , C. and Farfaletti , A. Effect of Biodiesel Fuels on Pollutant Emissions from EURO 3 LD Diesel Vehicles Report EUR 22745 EN 2007
- Aakko-Saksa , P. , Brink , A. , Happonen , M. , Heikkilä , J. et al. Future Combustion Technology for Synthetic and Renewable Fuels in Compression Ignition Engines Final report. Aalto University publication series SCIENCE + TECHNOLOGY 21/2012
- Murtonen , T. , Aakko-Saksa , P. , Koponen , P. , Lehto , K. et al. Emission Reduction Potential with Paraffinic Renewable Diesel by Optimizing Engine Settings or Using Oxygenate SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1590 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1590
- Yilmaz , N. and Donaldson , A. Experimental and Computational Investigation of PAH Production in a Diesel Engine as a Function of Load SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1977 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1977
- Tinsdale , M. , Price , P. , and Chen , R. The Impact of Biodiesel on Particle Number, Size and Mass Emissions from a Euro4 Diesel Vehicle SAE Int. J. Engines 3 1 597 608 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0796
- Tan , P. , Hu , Z. , Lou , D. , and Li , B. Particle Number and Size Distribution from a Diesel Engine with Jatropha Biodiesel Fuel SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2726 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2726