This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Novel Battery Charging and Power Distribution System for a Series-Hybrid Two Wheeler
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Hybrid electric vehicles are today being touted as the answer to the depleting petroleum reserves, growing concerns for environmental protection and in meeting stricter emission norms . The fact that these vehicles offer a marked improvement in the fuel economy of the vehicle and that their usage does not call for any infrastructural change as in the case of pure electric vehicles, is bound to make these vehicles play a significant role.
This paper describes an alternate charging system for a series hybrid two wheeler, using the traditional 12V starter motor . The paper presents MATLAB simulation results to compare the variation in vehicle battery voltage in case a single battery is used with a 12V starter system as compared to a combination of a lead acid and Li-ion batteries.
The second part of the paper describes a controlled power distribution system to optimize the power distribution during the charging cycle for the same vehicle . MATLAB simulations are used to show that this system helps reduce the load on the alternator thereby increasing fuel efficiency and also prevents deep discharge of the vehicle battery in conditions when a large load is applied to an already discharged battery.
|Technical Paper||Dual Battery System for Commercial Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles|
|Technical Paper||Lightweighting Impacts on Fuel Economy, Cost, and Component Losses|
|Technical Paper||Energy Efficient Battery Heating in Cold Climates|
CitationAhmed, S., Menon, M., Kakaye, S., and Sundaram, S., "A Novel Battery Charging and Power Distribution System for a Series-Hybrid Two Wheeler," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1885, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1885.
- Márquez , José Manuel Andújar , Manzano Francisca Segura , and Vázquez Manuel Jesús Vasallo A hybrid vehicle configuration with zero emission International Conference on Renewable Energy and Power Quality 2010
- Schacht , H. , Schoegl , O. , Bretterklieber , N. , Kirchberger , R. et al. Low Cost Range Extender Technology for Hybrid Electric City Scooters SAE Technical Paper 2012-32-0083 2012 10.4271/2012-32-0083
- Gage , T. and Bogdanoff , M. Low-Emission Range Extender for Electric Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 972634 1997 10.4271/972634
- UNEP Hybrid Electric Vehicles: And overview of current technology and its application in developing and transitional countries http://www.unep.org/transport/pcfv/pdf/hev_report.pdf September 2009
- CAI Asia Managing 2 and 3 Wheelers in Asia http://cleanairinitiative.org/portal/sites/default/files/23-Wheelers-in-Asia-Book.pdf
- Sabir Ahmed , Sudharsan Sundaram Power Flow and Distribution Control System for Automobiles Indian Patent 3139/MUM/2012 October 30 2012
- Sabir Ahmed , Sunil Kakaye Battery System for Hybrid Vehicles Indian Patent 3581/MUM/2012 December 21 2012