This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Ultra-Capacitor based Hybrid Energy Storage and Energy Management for Mild Hybrid Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In a Mild hybrid electric vehicle, a battery serves as a continuous source of energy but is inefficient in supplying peak power demands required during torque assists for short duration. Moreover, the random charging and discharging that result due to varying drive cycle of the vehicle affects the life of the battery. In this paper, an Ultra-capacitor based hybrid energy storage system (HESS) has been developed for mild hybrid vehicle which aims at utilizing the advantages of ultracapacitors by combining them with lead-acid batteries, to improve the overall performance of the battery, and to increase their useful life. Active current-sharing is achieved by interfacing ultracapacitor to the battery through a bi-directional boost dc-dc converter. Furthermore, an energy management system (EMS) is developed that controls the power flow between the two sources and the load and determines the amount of charging of ultracapacitor either from the battery or during regeneration depending on the predictions based on the drive-cycle and the remaining energy of the ultracapacitor. The system is developed and implemented on a test-bench in combination with Lead-acid batteries and the performance is evaluated for step change in load. It is observed that the system has quick dynamic response. The DC-DC converter is realized using a MOSFET based converter and the control strategy is implemented using TMS320F28335 DSP.
|Technical Paper||Improved Battery Charging in an Ultracapacitor - Lead Acid Battery Hybrid Energy Storage System for Mild Hybrid Electric Vehicles|
|Technical Paper||Development of Battery Management System for Hybrid Electric Two Wheeler|
CitationKulkarni, S., Gandhi, N., Chaithanya, N., and Govindarajan, S., "Ultra-Capacitor based Hybrid Energy Storage and Energy Management for Mild Hybrid Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1882, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1882.
- Moreno , J. , Ortuzarm M. and Dixon , J. Energy-Management System for a Hybrid Electric Vehicle Using Ultracapacitor and Neural Networks IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 53 2006 10.1109/TIE.2006.870880
- Lukic , S. , Wirasingha , S. , Rodriguez F. , Cao , J. et al Power Management of an Ultracapacitor/Battery Hybrid Energy Storage System in an HEV Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference 2006 10.1109/VPPC.2006.364357
- Lee , B. , Shin , D. , Song , H. , Jeong , J. et al The dynamic control of Hybrid Energy Storage System for Mild HEV Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference 2007 10.1109/VPPC.2007.4544233
- Cao , J. and Emadi , A. A New Battery/Ultra-Capacitor Hybrid Energy Storage System for Electric, Hybrid and Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles” Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference 2009 10.1109/VPPC.2009.5289744
- Shah , V. , Karndhar , S. , Maheshwari R. , Kundu P. et al An Energy Management system for battery Ultracapacitor Hybrid Electric Vehicle fourth International conference on Industrial and Information systems, ICIIS 2009 Sri Lanka 10.1109/ICIINFS.2009.5429825
- Kumar , S. and Ikkurti H Design and Control of Novel Power Electronics Interface for Battery-Ultracapacitor Hybrid Energy Storage System SEISCON 2011 10.1049/cp.2011.0367
- Schaltz , E. , Khaligh A. , and Rasmussen , P. Influence of Battery/Ultra-capacitor Energy-Storage Sizing on Battery Lifetime in a Fuel Cell Hybrid Electric Vehicle IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 58 8 Oct. 2009 10.1109/TVT.2009.2027909
- Song , H. , Jung , J. , Lee , B. , Shin , D. et al A Study on the dynamic SOC compensation of an Ultra-capacitor module for the Hybrid Energy Storage System Telecommunications Energy conference 2009 10.1109/INTLEC.2009.5351982
- Erickson , R. and Maksimovich , D Fundamentals of Power Electronics Kluwer Academic/Plenum New York 0-7923-7270-0
- Schuobach , R. , Balda , J. Comparing DC-DC converters for Power management in hybrid electric vehicles Electric Machines & Drives Conference 2003 3 10.1109/IEMDC.2003.1210630
- Ultra-capacitor product list, Application notes, datasheets, Maxwell Ultra-capacitors http://www.maxwell.com