This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Improved Cyclic Performances of Li-Sulfur Batteries with Sulfone-Based Electrolyte
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The effects of electrolyte on the cyclability of Li/S battery were investigated in this work. The electrochemical properties of single component ether solvents and a binary mixture of ether solvents were studied. These ether-based electrolytes have polysulfide shuttle problems which result in severe low Coulombic efficiency. To overcome these issues, sulfone-based solvent which forms a stable passivation film at the anode surface were used.
As a result, the proper composition of sulfone-based electrolyte were obtained. Its capacity and reversible capacity retention were improved to 715 mAh/g and 72.6% which were increased by 52.1% and 63.1%, respectively, compared to those of ether-based electrolyte.
CitationShin, N., Ryu, K., Kim, Y., and Lee, H., "Improved Cyclic Performances of Li-Sulfur Batteries with Sulfone-Based Electrolyte," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1844, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1844.
- Kariatsumari K. and Kume H. Nikkei electronics Korea edition 2010
- Zhang S.S. Liquid Electrolyte Lithium/Sulfur Battery: Fundamental Chemistry, Problems, and Solutions J. Power Sources 231 153 192 2013 0378-7753/2012-12-102
- Geronov , Y.M. , Akridge , J.R. Safety, Rate Capability, and Cycling Performance of Moltech Prismatic Rechargeable Cells Applications and Advances 287 291 2001 10.1109/2001-905141
- Céline , B. , Jean-Claude , L. , Sébastien , P. and Fannie A. Electrochemical Properties of Ether-Based Electrolytes for Lithium/Sulfur Rechargeable Batteries Electrochim. Acta 89 737 743 2013 10.1016/2012-11-001
- Jae-Won , C. , Jin-Kyu , K. , Gouri , C. , Jou-Hyeon , A. et al. Rechargeable Lithium/Sulfur Battery with Suitable Mixed Liquid Electrolytes Electrochim. Acta 52 2075 2082 2007 10.1016/2006-08-016
- Duck-Rye , C. , Suck-Hyun , L. , Sun-Wook , K. and Hee-Tak , K. Binary Electrolyte Based on Tetra(ethylene glycol) Dimethyl Ether and 1,3-dioxolane for Lithium-Sulfur Battery J. Power Sources 112 452 460 2002
- Xiulei , J. and Linda , F. Advances in Li-S batteries J. Mater. Chem. 20 9821 9826 2010 10.1039/B925751A
- Na-Ry , S. , Yong-Mook , K. , Min-Sang , S. , Dong-Yung , K. et al. Effects of Cu Substrate Morphology and Phase Control on Electrochemical Performance of Sn-Ni alloys for Li-ion battery J. Power Sources 186 1 201 205 2009 10.1016/2008-09-095
- Mukaibo H. , Mommaa T. and Osaka T. Changes of Electro-deposited Sn-Ni Alloy Thin film for Lithium Ion Battery Anodes during Charge Discharge Cycling J. Power Sources 146 457 463 2005 10.1016/2005.03.043
- Sang-Cheol , H. , Min-Sang , S. , Ho , L. , Hyun-Seok , K. et al. Effect of Multiwalled Carbon Nanotubes on Electrochemical Properties of Lithium/Sulfur Rechargeable Batteries J. electrochem. Soc. 150 7 A889 A893 2003 10.1149/1.1576766
- Ho-Suk , R. , Hyo-Jun , A. , Ki-Won , K. , Jou-Hyun , A. et al. Discharge Behavior of Lithium/Sulfur Cell with TEGDME Based Electrolyte at Low Temperature J. Power Sources 163 1 201 206 2006 10.1016/2005.12.061
- US Patent no.4,216,280
- Zhang S. S. and Jeffrey A. A New Direction for The Performance Improvement of Rechargeable Lithium/Sulfur Batteries J. Power Sources 77-78 2012 10.1016/2011.10.076
- Koji , A. , Hideya , Y. , Kitakurab T. , Takayuki H. et al. Additives-containing Functional Electrolytes for Suppressing Electrolyte Decomposition in Lithium-ion Batteries Electrochim. Acta 49 26 4613 4622 2004 10.1016/2004.05.016
- Yoshiharu , M. , Masayuki , M. , Kazuhiro , Y. , Kohji , H. Characteristics of Sulfolane-Based Electrolytes for Rechargeable Lithium Batteries J. electrochem. Soc. 132 11 2538 2543 1985 10.1149/1.2113619
- Kolosnitsyn V. S. , Karaseva E. V. , Shakirova N. V. , Seung D. Y. et al. Cycling a Sulfur Electrode in Electrolytes Based on Sulfolane and Linear Ethers (Glymes) in an LiCF3SO3 Solution Russ. J. electrochem. 38 12 1360 1363 2002 10.1023/A:1026123504203
- Sedlarikova M. , Vondrak J. , Maca J. and Bartusek K. Sulfolane as Solvent for Lithium Battery Electolytes J. New Mat. Electrochem. Systems 16 2013
- Yong Min , L. , Nam-Soon , C. , Jung Hwa , P. , Jung-Ki , P. Electrochemical Performance of Lithium/Sulfur Batteries with Protected Li Anodes J. Power Sources 119-121 964 972 2003 10.1016/S0378-7753(03)00300-8