This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Improved Cyclic Performances of Li-Sulfur Batteries with Sulfone-Based Electrolyte
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The effects of electrolyte on the cyclability of Li/S battery were investigated in this work. The electrochemical properties of single component ether solvents and a binary mixture of ether solvents were studied. These ether-based electrolytes have polysulfide shuttle problems which result in severe low Coulombic efficiency. To overcome these issues, sulfone-based solvent which forms a stable passivation film at the anode surface were used.
As a result, the proper composition of sulfone-based electrolyte were obtained. Its capacity and reversible capacity retention were improved to 715 mAh/g and 72.6% which were increased by 52.1% and 63.1%, respectively, compared to those of ether-based electrolyte.
CitationShin, N., Ryu, K., Kim, Y., and Lee, H., "Improved Cyclic Performances of Li-Sulfur Batteries with Sulfone-Based Electrolyte," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1844, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1844.
- Kariatsumari K. and Kume H., Nikkei electronics Korea edition, 2010
- Zhang S.S., “Liquid Electrolyte Lithium/Sulfur Battery: Fundamental Chemistry, Problems, and Solutions,” J. Power Sources, 231:153-192, 2013, doi:0378-7753/2012-12-102.
- Geronov, Y.M., Akridge, J.R., “Safety, Rate Capability, and Cycling Performance of Moltech Prismatic Rechargeable Cells,” Applications and Advances, 287-291, 2001, doi:10.1109/2001-905141.
- Céline, B., Jean-Claude, L., Sébastien, P. and Fannie A., “Electrochemical Properties of Ether-Based Electrolytes for Lithium/Sulfur Rechargeable Batteries,” Electrochim. Acta, 89:737-743, 2013, doi:10.1016/2012-11-001.
- Jae-Won, C., Jin-Kyu, K., Gouri, C., Jou-Hyeon, A. et al., “Rechargeable Lithium/Sulfur Battery with Suitable Mixed Liquid Electrolytes,” Electrochim. Acta 52:2075-2082, 2007, doi:10.1016/2006-08-016.
- Duck-Rye, C., Suck-Hyun, L., Sun-Wook, K. and Hee-Tak, K., “Binary Electrolyte Based on Tetra(ethylene glycol) Dimethyl Ether and 1,3-dioxolane for Lithium-Sulfur Battery,” J. Power Sources, 112:452-460, 2002
- Xiulei, J. and Linda, F., “Advances in Li-S batteries,” J. Mater. Chem., 20:9821-9826, 2010, doi:10.1039/B925751A.
- Na-Ry, S., Yong-Mook, K., Min-Sang, S., Dong-Yung, K. et al., “Effects of Cu Substrate Morphology and Phase Control on Electrochemical Performance of Sn-Ni alloys for Li-ion battery,” J. Power Sources 186(1):201-205, 2009, doi:10.1016/2008-09-095.
- Mukaibo H., Mommaa T. and Osaka T., “Changes of Electro-deposited Sn-Ni Alloy Thin film for Lithium Ion Battery Anodes during Charge Discharge Cycling,” J. Power Sources 146:457-463, 2005, doi:10.1016/2005.03.043.
- Sang-Cheol, H., Min-Sang, S., Ho, L., Hyun-Seok, K. et al., “Effect of Multiwalled Carbon Nanotubes on Electrochemical Properties of Lithium/Sulfur Rechargeable Batteries,” J. electrochem. Soc. 150(7): A889-A893, 2003, doi:10.1149/1.1576766.
- Ho-Suk, R., Hyo-Jun, A., Ki-Won, K., Jou-Hyun, A. et al., “Discharge Behavior of Lithium/Sulfur Cell with TEGDME Based Electrolyte at Low Temperature,” J. Power Sources 163(1): 201-206, 2006, doi:10.1016/2005.12.061.
- US Patent no.4,216,280
- Zhang S. S. and Jeffrey A., “A New Direction for The Performance Improvement of Rechargeable Lithium/Sulfur Batteries,” J. Power Sources 77-78, 2012, doi:10.1016/2011.10.076.
- Koji, A., Hideya, Y., Kitakurab T., Takayuki H. et al., “Additives-containing Functional Electrolytes for Suppressing Electrolyte Decomposition in Lithium-ion Batteries,” Electrochim. Acta 49(26): 4613-4622, 2004, doi:10.1016/2004.05.016.
- Yoshiharu, M., Masayuki, M., Kazuhiro, Y., Kohji, H., “Characteristics of Sulfolane-Based Electrolytes for Rechargeable Lithium Batteries,” J. electrochem. Soc. 132(11): 2538-2543, 1985, doi:10.1149/1.2113619.
- Kolosnitsyn V. S., Karaseva E. V., Shakirova N. V., Seung D. Y. et al., “Cycling a Sulfur Electrode in Electrolytes Based on Sulfolane and Linear Ethers (Glymes) in an LiCF3SO3 Solution,” Russ. J. electrochem. 38(12): 1360-1363, 2002, doi:10.1023/A:1026123504203.
- Sedlarikova M., Vondrak J., Maca J. and Bartusek K., “Sulfolane as Solvent for Lithium Battery Electolytes,” J. New Mat. Electrochem. Systems 16, 2013
- Yong Min, L., Nam-Soon, C., Jung Hwa, P., Jung-Ki, P., “Electrochemical Performance of Lithium/Sulfur Batteries with Protected Li Anodes,” J. Power Sources 119-121: 964-972, 2003, doi:10.1016/S0378-7753(03)00300-8.