This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis and Optimization of a Parallel Hydraulic Hybrid
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
With the recent adoption of fuel economy and emissions regulations for medium and heavy duty vehicles by the Environmental Protection Agency and the National Highway Traffic Safety Agency, new technologies to meet these targets are being developed. One such vehicle architecture that could meetthese regulations is hydraulic hybridization. Medium- and heavy-duty vehicles which operate on high intensity drive cycles (city buses, delivery vehicles, refuse vehicles, etc.) are good candidates for hydraulic hybridization due to the drive cycle intensity and the speeds at which they operate.
This paper, through MATLAB/Simulink modeling, investigates the overall effectiveness of hydraulic hybridization through the selection of individual hydraulic parameters. With the effect of each hydraulic parameter determined, this paper defines a design of experiments to optimize the parameters for specific drive cycles to help determine the feasibility of the hydraulic technology for these classes of vehicles.
CitationWagner, J. and Bradley, T., "Analysis and Optimization of a Parallel Hydraulic Hybrid," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1795, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1795.
- National Transportation Statistics United States Department of Transportation 2013
- EPA and NHTSA Adopt First-Ever Program to Reduce Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Improve Fuel Efficiency of Medium- and Heavy-Duty Vehicles United States Environmental Protection Agency 2011
- Lightning Hybrids LLC. Hydraulic Hybrid Skid http://lightninghybrids.com
- Herniter , M. , Chambers , Z. Model Based System Design Lecture Notes Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology 2011
- Filipi , Z. , Kim , Y.J. 2010 Hydraulic Hybrid Propulsion for Heavy Vehicles: Combining the Simulation and Engine-In-the-Loop Techniques to Maximize the Fuel Economy and Emission Benefits Oil & Gas Science and Technology 65
- Wu , B. , Lin , C. , Filipi , Z. , Peng , H. , Assanis , D. Optimization of Power Management Strategies for a Hydraulic Hybrid Medium Truck Advanced Vehicle Control Conference 2002
- General Motors 2013 GMC Savana 3500 Cutaway Van http://www.gmfleet.com/gmc/savana-3500-cutaway-van.html
- Pourmovahed , A. , Otis , D. R. 1990 An Experimental Thermal Time-Constant Correlation for Hydraulic Accumulators ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control 112
- California Air Resources Board California Interim Certification Procedures for 2004 and Subsequent Model Hybrid-Electric Vehicles in the Urban Bus and Heavy-Duty Vehicle Classes August 2002
- Hydro Leduc N.A., Inc. MA Series Motors http://www.hydroleduc.com/images/stories/catalogues_PDF/anglais/HYDRO%20LEDUC%20DOCUMENTATION_English/HYDRAULIC%20MOTORS/MA_US%20net.pdf