This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Compact Compound Power-Split Hybrid Transmission Based on Altered Ravigneaux Gear Set
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Several types of power-split hybrid transmissions are outlined and the strengths and weaknesses of typical compound power-split prototype designs are summarized in this paper. Based on an modified Ravigneaux gear set, a novel compound power-split hybrid transmission with compact mechanical structure is presented, its dynamic and kinematic characteristics in equations and operating modes are described, and then equivalent lever diagrams are used to investigate the proposed compound power-split device. Control strategies in different operating modes are discussed with the simplified combined lever diagram, and a global optimization method is implemented to find the optimum operation point for the hybrid powertrain. To evaluate the fuel economy of a hybrid car equipped with this hybrid transmission, a forward powertrain simulation model is developed and real vehicle performance tests are conducted in the chassis dynamometer. Simulations and test results show that the proposed hybrid transmission can improve the efficiency of the powertrain and demonstrate lower fuel consumptions than the corresponding conventional vehicle. We conclude that the most effective strategy for reducing the cost of vehicle powertrain manufacturing, decreasing the difficulty of control and improving vehicle fuel efficiency during city driving is to employ the new compound power-split hybrid transmission.
CitationWang, C., Zhao, Z., Zhang, T., Dai, X. et al., "Development of a Compact Compound Power-Split Hybrid Transmission Based on Altered Ravigneaux Gear Set," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1793, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1793.
- Pfeiffer Friedrich Dynamics of a Ravigneaux Gear Journal of Vibration and Control 2008 14 1-2 181 196
- Wishart Jeffrey , Zhou Yuliang Leon et al. Review of multi-regime hybrid vehicle powertrain architecture International Journal of Electric and Hybrid Vehicles 2008 1 3 248 275
- Arata , J. , Leamy , M. , Meisel , J. , Cunefare , K. et al. Backward-Looking Simulation of the Toyota Prius and General Motors Two-Mode Power-Split HEV Powertrains SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 1281 1297 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0948
- YANG H. , CHO S. , KIM N. et al. Analysis of planetary gear hybrid powertrain system part 1: Input split system International Journal of Automotive Technology 2007 8 6 771 780
- YANG H. , KIM B. , PARK Y. et al. Analysis of planetary gear hybrid powertrain system part 2: Output split system International Journal of Automotive Technology 2009 10 3 381 390
- Schmidt M. R. , D. Klemen , A. Holmes. Powertrain with Electrically Variable Transmission Compiler: US, 7169073 B2 [P] 2007
- Schmidt M. R. , Klemen D. , Nitz L. et al. Two-mode, Compound-split, Hybrid Electro-mechanical Transmission Having Four Fixed Ratios Compiler: US, 6953409 B2 [P] 2005
- Xiaolan Ai , Massillon Electro-Mechanical Infinitely Variable Transmission Compiler: US, 6994946 B2 [P] 2006
- Villeneuve Arnaud Dual Mode Electric Infinitely Variable Transmission International CVT and Hybrid Transmission Congress. 2004-04CVT-19
- Liu Jinming , Peng Huei A systematic design approach for two planetary gear split hybrid vehicles Vehicle System Dynamics 2010 48 11 1395 1412
- Zhang Xiaowu , Li Chiao-Ting , Kum Dongsuk et al. Prius+ and Volt-: Configuration Analysis of Power-Split Hybrid Vehicles With a Single Planetary Gear IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 2008 16 6 3544 3552
- Liu Jinming , Peng Huei Modeling and Control of a Power-Split Hybrid Vehicle IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 2012 61 8 1242 1251
- Kahraman A. , Ligata H. , Kienzle K. , Zini D. M. A kinematics and power flow analysis methodology for automatic transmission planetary gear trains Journal of Mechanical Design 2004 11 126 1071 1081
- Benford , H. and Leising , M. The Lever Analogy: A New Tool in Transmission Analysis SAE Technical Paper 810102 1981 10.4271/810102
- Karmel A. M. A Methodology for Modeling the Dynamics of the Mechanical Paths of Automotive Drivetrains with Automatic Step-Transmissions IEEE American Control Conference 1986 6 18-20 279 284