This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study on Clamping Force Control in Pulley of CVT for Fuel Efficiency
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In CVT, it is essential to optimize Clamping Force in Pulley to improve fuel efficiency. Clamping force in pulley is shaft force to control primary pulley and secondary pulley. It is determined by pulley ratio, input engine torque in CVT and safety factor for protecting belt slip. It is difficult to calculate correct clamping force and detect belt slip. Generally speaking, CVT has a tendency to have excessive Safety factor to prevent belt slip.
This excessive safety factor in clamping force leads to lower fuel efficiency. In order to find an optimal clamping force, ‘the minimum clamping force’ which will not induce belt slip should be determined even during decreasing clamping force. Furthermore, clamping force should be maintained near the ‘minimum clamping force’.
For this, following logics was developed
First, the logic to calculate first safety ratio of belt,
Second, the logic to detect belt slip state,
Third, the logic to calculate the optimal clamping force.
This logic was verified and validated on each SILS, HILS and Vehicle. Clamping force control is the backbone in improving Fuel efficiency for CVT. Therefore this study will make a significant contribution to improving fuel efficiency through the ‘optimal clamping force’.
CitationLee, H., Cho, T., Won, C., and Kim, B., "A Study on Clamping Force Control in Pulley of CVT for Fuel Efficiency," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1736, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1736.
- van der Noll Erik , van der Sluis Francis , van Dongen Tam , van der Velde Arie Innovative Self-optimizing Clamping Force Strategy boosts efficiency of the Pushbelt CVT 7th International CTI Symposium 1 4 December 2008
- Yoon , Young Min Development of Fail-Safe and Protection Functions for SOFT HEV CVT Hyundai-Kia Motors Conference 2009
- Amano , H. et al Development of a High-performance, Fuel-efficient Sporty CVT Jatco technical Review 2008 7
- van der Sluis , F. , van Dongen , T. , van Spijk , G. , van der velde , A. et al. Efficiency Optimization of the Pushbelt CVT SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1457 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1457
- van der Noll , E. , van der Sluis , F. , van Dongen , T. , and van der Velde , A. Innovative Self-optimising Clamping Force Strategy for the Pushbelt CVT SAE Int. J. Engines 2 1 1489 1498 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1537