This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modeling and Experimental Investigation of a 2-Stroke GDI Engine for Range Extender Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The basic requirements for range extender engines are low cost, compact dimensions, high specific power, good efficiency, low pollutant emission levels, excellent NVH behavior. For a power rate lower than 30 kW, it is very difficult to find an off-the-shelf engine meeting all the requirements listed above, so that a new generation of dedicated engines is under development.
Following a preliminary theoretical work presented in 2012 , the current paper reviews the design process and the first experimental tests carried out on a novel 2-stroke GDI single-cylinder engine, rated at 30 kW at 4500 rpm, featuring a patented induction valve and a piston pump for scavenging. A prototype has been designed with the support of CFD simulations, then built and tested at the BRC laboratories, in Cherasco (Italy).
CitationMattarelli, E., Rinaldini, C., and Baldini, P., "Modeling and Experimental Investigation of a 2-Stroke GDI Engine for Range Extender Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1672, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1672.
- Mattarelli , E. , Rinaldini , C. , Cantore , G. , and Baldini , P. 2-Stroke Externally Scavenged Engines for Range Extender Applications 2012-01-1022 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1022
- Turner , J. , Blake , D. , Moore , J. , Burke , P. et al. The Lotus Range Extender Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 3 2 318 351 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2208
- GETRAG Boosted Range Extender 2RET300 http://www.getrag.com/iaa/fileadmin/content/pdf/products/engl/Press_information_2RET300.pdf Frankfurt Motorshow 2009
- MAHLE range extender improves acceptance of electric drive systems http://www.mahle.com/C125705E004FDAF9/vwContentByKey/W28LJFHF256STULEN September 2011
- Fischer et al. Range Extender Module - Enabler for Electric Mobility ATZ Autotechnology 9 40 46 May 2009
- Fraidl , G. , Beste , F. , Kapus , P. , Korman , M. et al. Challenges and Solutions for Range Extenders - From Concept Considerations to Practical Experiences 2011-37-0019 2011 10.4271/2011-37-0019
- The High-Speed Internal Combustion Engine - Fifth Edition Ricardo , H. and Hempson , J.G.G. Blackie & Son Limited London 1968
- The Two Stroke Cycle Engine - Its Development, Operation, and Design Heywood , J.B. and Sher , E. Taylor & Francis, Inc 1-56032-831-2
- 2-Stroke Engine with Low Consumption and Low Emission International Patent PCT/IT2010/000057 by Piero Baldini, Publication N° WO/2011/101878 August 25 2011
- Mitchell , R. , Kosmatka , T. , and Braunschweig , O. Clutch for lawn Mower Engine Auxiliary Shaft 800039 1980 10.4271/800039
- De Marco , C. , Mattarelli , E. , Paltrinieri , F. , and Rinaldini , C. A New Combustion System for 2-Stroke HSDI Diesel Engines 2007-01-1255 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1255
- Rinaldini , C. , Mattarelli , E. , and Golovitchev , V. CFD Analyses on 2-Stroke High Speed Diesel Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 4 2 2240 2256 2011 10.4271/2011-24-0016
- Mattarelli , E. , Rinaldini , C. , and Wilksch , M. 2-Stroke High Speed Diesel Engines for Light Aircraft SAE Int. J. Engines 4 2 2338 2360 2011 10.4271/2011-24-0089
- Cantore , G. , Fontanesi , S. , Mattarelli , E. , and Bianchi , G. A Methodology for In-Cylinder Flow Field Evaluation in a Low Stroke-to-Bore SI Engine 2002-01-1119 2002 10.4271/2002-01-1119
- Fontanesi , S. , Paltrinieri , S. , Tiberi , A. , and D'Adamo , A. LES Multi-cycle Analysis of a High Performance GDI Engine 2013-01-1080 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1080
- Fontanesi , S. , Paltrinieri , S. , D'Adamo , A. , Cantore , G. et al. Knock Tendency Prediction in a High Performance Engine Using LES and Tabulated Chemistry SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 6 1 98 118 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1082
- Fontanesi , S. , Cicalese , G. , and Tiberi , A. Combined In-cylinder / CHT Analyses for the Accurate Estimation of the Thermal Flow Field of a High Performance Engine for Sport Car Applications 2013-01-1088 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1088
- Mattarelli , E. , Rinaldini , C. , and Cantore , G. Comparison between a Diesel and a New 2-Stroke GDI Engine on a Series Hybrid Passenger Car 2013-24-0085 2013 10.4271/2013-24-0085