This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Trailer Technologies for Increased Heavy-Duty Vehicle Efficiency: Technical, Market, and Policy Considerations
ISSN: 1946-391X, e-ISSN: 1946-3928
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Citation: Sharpe, B., Clark, N., and Lowell, D., "Trailer Technologies for Increased Heavy-Duty Vehicle Efficiency: Technical, Market, and Policy Considerations," SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 7(1):238-261, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1622.
- Facanha, C., Blumberg K., and Miller J., “Global Transportation Energy and Climate Roadmap: The Impact of Transportation Policies and Their Potential to Reduce Oil Consumption and Greenhouse Gas Emissions,” 2012, The International Council on Clean Transportation: Washington, DC.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, “Greenhouse Gas Emissions Standards and Fuel Efficiency Standards for Medium- and Heavy-Duty Engines and Vehicles,” in Federal Register, Vol. 76, Number 179, U.S. Government Printing Office, Editor 2011.
- U.S. Department of Energy (21st Century Truck Partnership), “Roadmap and Technical White Papers: Safely and Cost-Effectively Move Larger Volumes of Freight and Greater Numbers of Passenges,” 2006, U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy: Washington, DC.
- Lowell, D. and Balon T., “Setting the Stage for Regulation of Heavy-Duty Vehicle Fuel Economy & GHG Emissions: Issues and Opportunities,” 2009, Intermational Council on Clean Transportation: Washington, DC.
- Committee to Assess Fuel Economy Technologies for Medium- and Heavy-Duty Vehicles, “Technologies and Approaches to Reducing the Fuel Consumption of Medium- and Heavy-Duty Vehicles,” National Research Council of the National Academies: Washington, DC., ISBN 9780309149822, 2010.
- Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company, “Factors Affecting Truck Fuel Economy,” http://www.goodyear.com/truck/support/fuel_econ.html, 2013 [cited 2013 February 18].
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, “SmartWay Verified Low Rolling Resistance Tires: Performance Requirements,” 2011: Washington, DC.
- Tanguay, B., “On the Critical Importance of Aerodynamics for the Energetic Efficiency of Heavy-Duty Vehicles, in Heavy Duty Vehicle GHG Emissions and Fuel Efficiency in Canada Conference,” presented at the Heavy Duty Vehicle Emissions and Fuel Efficiency in Canada Conference, Winnipeg, MB, April 30-May 1, 2012.
- R.L Polk & Co., “New Commercial Class 8 Tractor and Trailer (24-foot to 65-foot) Registrations between 1986 and 2011,” R.L Polk & Co., Editor 2012: Southfield, MI.
- Great Dane, “Champion-SE Specifications,” http://www.greatdanetrailers.com/champion-sespecifications, 2013 [cited 2013 March 14].
- Utility Trailer Manufacturing Company, “4000D-X Composite,” http://www.utilitytrailer.com/trailers/dryvans/4000d-x-composite/specifications, 2013 [cited 2013 March 14].
- Wabash National Corporation, “DuraPlate XD-35 Base Specifications,” http://www.wabashnational.com/commercialtrailerhome/products/dry-freight-vans/duraplate-xd-35-sup-sup-Specs, 2013 [cited 2013 March 14].
- Lew, S., “Heavy-Duty Vehicle GHG Reduction and Fuel Efficiency Technologies Tires,” presented at the Heavy Duty Vehicle Emissions and Fuel Efficiency in Canada Conference, Winnipeg, MB, April 30-May 1, 2012.
- Bachman, L.J., Erb A., and Bynum C.L., “Effect of Single Wide Tires and Trailer Aerodynamics on Fuel Economy and NOx Emissions of Class 8 Line-Haul Tractor-Trailers,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3551, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-3551.
- Hausberger, S., et al., “Evaluation of fuel efficiency improvements in the Heavy-Duty Vehicle (HDV) sector from improved trailer and tire designs by application of a new test procedure,” 2011, Graz University of Technology, Institute for Internal Combustion Engines and Thermodynamics: Graz, Austria.
- Wood, R., “EPA Smartway Verification of Trailer Undercarriage Advanced Aerodynamic Drag Reduction Technology,” SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 5(2):607-615, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-2043.
- Kromer, M., Bockholt W., and Jackson M., “Assessment of Fuel Economy Technologies for Medium- and Heavy-Duty Vehicles,” 2009, TIAX LLC: Cupertino, CA.
- Bureau of Transportation Statistics, “State Transportation Statistics,” 2010, Research and Innovative Technology Administration, U.S. Department of Transportation: Washington, DC.
- R.L Polk & Co., “New Commercial Trailer Registrations from January 2003 through December 2011 for trailers longer than 24 feet,” R.L. Polk & Co., Editor 2012: Southfield, MI.
- Bearth, D., “Fleets Struggle to Achieve Productivity Gains,” Transport Topics: May 2009.
- Davis, S., et al., “2011 Vehicle Technologies Market Report,” 2012, Oak Ridge National Laboratory: Oak Ridge, TN.
- U.S. Census Bureau, “2010 County Business Patterns: Geography Area Series: County Business Patterns, NAICS Code 336212, Truck Trailer Manufacturing,” U.S. Census Bureau, Editor 2012: Washington, DC.
- Duwe, G., “Stoughton Trailers growth could indicate US is recovering from recession,” The Janesville Gazette: Feb. 2012.
- Price Digest, “Commercial Trailer Blue Book,” 2012, Penton Media, Inc.
- Price Digest, “Truck Blue Book,” 2012, Penton Media, Inc.
- Davis, S, “Heavy Truck Miles by Age,” http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesandfuels/facts/2005/fcvt_fotw363.html, 2005 November 15 [cited 2012 September 4.
- U.S. Census Bureau and Bureau of Transportation Statistics, “2007 Economic Census: 2007 Commodity Flow Survey,” 2010, U.S. Census Bureau: Washington, DC.
- U.S. Census Bureau, “2010 County Business Patterns: Geography Area Series: County Business Patterns by Employment Size Class, North American Industry Classification System code 484, Truck Transportation,” U.S. Census Bureau, Editor 2012: Washington, DC.
- Reece, J., “National Private Truck Council (NPTC) Economic Impact Study, in International Council on Efficient, Safe, and Sustainable Truck Transportation Systems,” 2009, University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute: Ann Arbor, MI.
- R.L. Polk & Co. and TMW Systems, “Top 100 For-Hire Carriers 2011,” 2012, American Trucking Associations Inc.: Arlington, VA.
- R.L. Polk & Co. and TMW Systems, “Top 100 Private Carriers 2011,” 2012, American Trucking Associations Inc.: Arlington, VA.
- Roeth, M., et al., “Barriers to the Increased Adoption of Fuel Efficiency Technologies in the North American On-Road Freight Sector,” 2013, North American Council for Freight Efficiency: Fort Wayne, IN.
- Aarnink, S., Faber J., and den Boer E., “Market Barriers to Increased Efficiency in the European On-road Freight Sector,” 2012, CE Delft: Delft, Netherlands.
- Bulk Transporter, “Brenner, Walker pursue enhanced aerodynamics for tanks,” http://bulktransporter.com/fleet/trucks/brenner_walker_pursue_enhanced_aero_0209/, 2009 February 1 [cited 2013 February 6].
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, “SmartWay Technology Program,” http://www.epa.gov/smartway/technology/designatedtractors-trailers.htm, 2012 August 30 [cited 2012 September 25].
- California Air Resources Board, “Initial Statement of Reasons (ISOR) for Proposed Rulemaking: Public Hearing to Consider Adoption of the Regulation to Reduce Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Heavy-Duty Vehicles,” 2008: Sacramento, CA.
- California Air Resources Board, “Truck Regulation Upload, Compliance, and Reporting System (TRUCRS),” https://ssl.arb.ca.gov/ssltrucrs/trucrs_reporting/reporting.php, 2012 April 19 [cited 2012 November 19].
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, “Final Rulemaking to Establish Greenhouse Gas Emissions Standards and Fuel Efficiency Standards for Medium- and Heavy-Duty Engines and Vehicles: Regulatory Impact Analysis,” 2011: Washington, DC.
- Freight Wing Inc, “Freight Wing Custom Products,” http://freightwing.com/custom.php, 2013 [cited 2013 February 14].
- Load Covering Solutions Inc, “LCL Series Wind Skirts for Flatbed Trailers,” http://www.loadcoveringsolutions.com/windskirtsflatbedtrailers.htm, 2013 [cited 2013 February 14].
- International Organization for Standardization, “Passenger Car, Truck, and Bus Tyres - Methods of Measuring Rolling Resistance - Single Point Test and Correlation of Measurement Results,” 2009: Geneva, Switzerland.