This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of the Impact of the Dual-Fuel Ethanol-Diesel System on the Size, Morphology, and Chemical Characteristics of the Soot Particles Emitted from a LD Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Nowadays, alcohol fuels are of increasing interest as alternative transportation biofuels even in compression ignition engines because they are oxygenated and producible in a sustainable way. In this paper, the experimental research activity was conducted on a single cylinder research engine provided with a modern architecture and properly modified in a dual-fuel (DF) configuration. Looking at ethanol the as one of the future environmental friendly biofuels experimental campaign was aimed to evaluate in detail the effect of the use of the ethanol as port injected fuel in diesel engine on the size, morphology, reactivity and chemical features of the exhaust emitted soot particles.
The engine tests were chosen properly in order to represent actual working conditions of an automotive light-duty diesel engine. A proper engine Dual-Fuel calibration was set-up respecting prefixed limits on in-cylinder peak firing pressure, cylinder pressure rise, fuel efficiency and gaseous emissions.
After the engine pre-calibration work, advanced instrument and diagnostic tools were installed and employed for on-line soot particle characterization. The morphological and chemical features of soot particles were studied in dependence of the ethanol-diesel substitution rate by analyzing the soot collected at the engine exhaust. Soot particles were sampled on Teflon filters, washed with dicloromethane to remove fuel residuals and characterized in terms of surface functionalization (infrared spectroscopy, FTIR), thermal resistance (thermogravimetry, TG) and optical properties (UV-Visible spectroscopy).
Results indicated a negligible impact of ethanol premixed charge on the quality of the emitted soot. Ethanol is very effective in smoke reduction and has the potential to reduce the number and concentration of the emitted particles in the area of interest in terms of regulated emitted particles. Concerning the gaseous emissions, NOx emissions are controlled by EGR also in the DF operating mode. A general increase of CO and HCs is confirmed at lower loads, while the fuel efficiency tends to improve predominantly from medium to high loads.
CitationDi Blasio, G., Viscardi, M., Alfè, M., Gargiulo, V. et al., "Analysis of the Impact of the Dual-Fuel Ethanol-Diesel System on the Size, Morphology, and Chemical Characteristics of the Soot Particles Emitted from a LD Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1613, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1613.
- Imran A. , Varman M. , Masjuki H.H. , Kalam M.A. Review on alcohol fumigation on diesel engine: A viable alternative dual fuel technology for satisfactory engine performance and reduction of environment concerning emission Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 26 October 2013 739 751 1364-0321 10.1016/j.rser.2013.05.070
- Larsen U. , Johansen T. , Schramm J. Ethanol as a fuel for road transportation Main Report, EFP06, IEA implementing Agreement on Advanced motor Fuels 2009
- Leahey , D. , Jones , B. , Gilligan , J. , Brown , L. et al. Combustion of Biodiesel- and Ethanol-Diesel Intake Injection Mixtures with Intake Injection SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4011 2007 10.4271/2007-01-4011
- Dijkstra , R. , Di Blasio , G. , Boot , M. , Beatrice , C. et al. Assessment of the Effect of Low Cetane Number Fuels on a Light Duty CI Engine: Preliminary Experimental Characterization in PCCI Operating Condition SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0053 2011 10.4271/2011-24-0053
- Di Blasio , G. , Beatrice , C. , and Molina , S. Effect of Port Injected Ethanol on Combustion Characteristics in a Dual-Fuel Light Duty Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1692 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1692
- Komninos N.P. , Rakopoulos C.D. Numerical investigation into the formation of CO and oxygenated and non-oxygenated hydrocarbon emissions from isooctane- and ethanol-fueled HCCI engines Energy and Fuels 24 1655 67 2010
- Heisey , J. and Lestz , S. Aqueous Alcohol Fumigation of a Single-Cylinder DI Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 811208 1981 10.4271/811208
- Di Blasio , G. , Beatrice , C. , Dijkstra , R. , and Boot , M. Low Cetane Number Renewable Oxy-fuels for Premixed Combustion Concept Application: Experimental Investigation on a Light Duty Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1310 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1310
- Dempsey A.B. , Walker N.R. , Splitter D. , Wissink M. , Reitz R.D. Characterization of Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition (RCCI) Using Premixed Hydrated Ethanol and Direct Injection Diesel in Heavy-Duty and Light-Duty Engines Conference on Thermo- and Fluid Dynamic Processes in Direct Injection Engines (THIESEL) 2012
- Napolitano , P. , Guido , C. , Beatrice , C. , and Di Blasio , G. Study of the Effect of the Engine Parameters Calibration to Optimize the Use of Bio-Ethanol/RME/Diesel Blend in a Euro5 Light Duty Diesel Engine SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 6 1 263 275 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1695
- Nicholas C. , Surawski Z.D. , Ristovski R.J. , Brown R.S. Gaseous and particle emissions from an ethanol fumigated compression ignition engine Energy Conversion and Management 54 145 151 2012
- Hayes , T. , Savage , L. , White , R. , and Sorenson , S. The Effect of Fumigation of Different Ethanol Proofs on a Turbocharged Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 880497 1988 10.4271/880497
- Noguchi N. , Terao H. , Sakata C. Performance improvement by control of flow rates and diesel injection timing on dual-fuel engine with ethanol BioresourceTechnologyvol 96 35 39 1996
- Ajav E.A. , Singh B. , Bhattacharya T.K. Experimental study of some performance parameters of a constant speed stationary diesel engine using ethanol-diesel blends as fuel Biomass Bioenergy 17 357 365 1999
- Xingcai L. , Jianguang Y. , Wugao Z. , Zhen H. Effect of cetane number improver on heat release rate and emissions of high speed diesel engine fuelled with ethanol-diesel blend fuel Fuel 83 2013 2020 2004
- Rakopoulos C.D. , Antonopoulos K.A. , Rakopoulos D.C. , Hountalas D.T. , Andritsakis E.C. Study of the performance and emissions of a high-speed direct injection diesel engine operating on ethanol-diesel fuel blends Int J Alternative Propulsion 1 309 324 2007
- Cheng C.H. , Cheung C.S. , Chan T.L. , Lee S.C. , Yao C.D. , Tsang K.S. Comparison of emissions of a direct injection diesel engine operating on biodiesel with emulsified and fumigated methanol Fuel 87 1870 1879 2008
- Michikawauchi , R. , Tanno , S. , Ito , Y. , and Kanda , M. Combustion Improvement of Diesel Engine by Alcohol Addition - Investigation of Port Injection Method and Blended Fuel Method SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 4 1 48 57 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0336
- Rezende , H. , Furquim , R. , Odlevak , E. , Cruz , E. et al. Ethanol Diesel Truck Engine SAE Technical Paper 2011-36-0319 2011 10.4271/2011-36-0319
- Fraioli V. , Di Blasio G. , Mancaruso E. , Migliaccio M. , Beatrice C. , Guido C. , Vaglieco B. Experimental and Numerical Investigations on Compression Ignition Engines using Ethanol in Dual-Fuel Configuration Conference on Thermo- and Fluid Dynamic Processes in Direct Injection Engines (THIESEL) 2012
- Bessonette , P. W. , Schleyer , C. H. , Duffy , K. P. , Hardy , W. L. , and Liechty , M. P. Effects of Fuel Property Changes on Heavy-Duty HCCI Combustion SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0191 10.4271/2007-01-0191
- Kokjohn S.L , Splitter D.A. , Hanson R.M. , Reitz R.D. , Manente V. , Johanson B. Modeling Charge Preparation and Combustion in Diesel Fuel, Ethanol, and Dual-fuel PCCI Engines ILASS-Americas 22nd Annual Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems 2010
- Cheng C.H. , Cheung C.S. , Chan T.L. , Lee S.C. , Ya , C.D. Experimental investigation on the performance, gaseous and particulate emissions of a methanol fumigated diesel engine Science of the Total Environment 389 115 224 2008
- Alfè M , Apicella B , Rouzaud JN , Tregrossi A , Ciajolo A The effect of temperature on soot properties in premixed methane flames Combust Flame 157 1959 1965
- Alfè M , Apicella B , Barbella R et al 2009 Structure-property relationship in nanostructures of young and mature soot in premixed flames Proc Combust Inst 32 697 704
- Arnal C. , Alfè M. , Gargiulo V. , Ciajolo A. , Alzueta M.U. , Millera A. , Bilbao R. Characterization of Soot Developing Detailed Chemical Kinetic Models Series: Green Energy and Technology, Battin-Leclerc, Frédérique Simmie , John M. ; Blurock , Edward 2013 XIII 659 245 Springer-Verlag London Limited 978-1-4471-5306-1
- Higgins , K , Jung H. , Kittelson D., B. , Roberts J.T. , Zacharias M.R. Kinetics of Diesel Nanoparticle Oxidation Environm. Sci. Technol. 2003 37 1949 1954
- Apicella , B. , Alfè , M. , Barbella , R. , Tregrossi , A. , Ciajolo , A. Aromatic structure of carbonaceous materials and soot inferred by spectroscopic analysis Carbon 42 2004 1583 1589
- Lapuerta M. , Armas O. , Garcia Contreras R. Effect of Ethanol on Blending Stability and Diesel Engine Emissions Energy & Fuels 23 9 4343 4354 2009
- Tsang K.S. , Zhang Z.H. , Cheung C.S. , Chan T.L. Reducing Emissions of a Diesel Engine Using Fumigation Ethanol and a Diesel Oxidation Catalyst Energy Fuels 24 11 6156 6165 2010 10.1021/ef100899z
- Cambustion DMS500 Cambustion Ltd www.cambustion.com
- Micro Soot Sensor AVL Gmbh www.avl.com
- Yage D. , Cheung C.S. , Huang Z. Experimental study on particulate emission of a diesel engine fueled with blended ethanol-dodecanol-diesel Journal of Aerosol Science 40 2 February 2009 101 112 10.1016/j.jaerosci.2008.09.004
- Ning Z. , Cheung C.S. , Liu SX. Experimental investigation of the effect of exhaust gas cooling on diesel particulate J Aerosol Sci 2004 35 333 45
- Cheng C.H. , Cheung C.S. , Chan T.L. , Lee S.C. , Yao C.D. , Tsang K.S. Comparison of emissions of a direct injectiondiesel engine operation on biodiesel with emulsified and fumigated methanol Fuel 87 2008 1870 1879
- Alfè M. , Gargiulo V. , Di Capua R. , Chiarella F. , Rouzaud J-Nl , Vergara A. , Ciajolo A. Wet Chemical Method for Making Graphene-like Films from Carbon Black ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2012 4 9 4491 4498
- Silverstein , M. ; Webster , F. X. ; Kiemle , D. SpectrometricIdentification of Organic Compounds fourth Wiley New York 2008