This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Emissions from Compression Ignition Engines with Animal-Fat-Derived Biodiesel Fuels
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Biodiesel and other renewable fuels are of interest due to their impact on energy supplies as well as their potential for carbon emissions reductions. Waste animal fats from meat processing facilities, which would otherwise be sent to landfill, have been proposed as a feedstock for biodiesel production. Emissions from biodiesel fuels derived from vegetable oils have undergone intense study, but there remains a lack of data describing the emissions implications of using animal fats as a biodiesel feedstock. In this study, emissions of NOx, unburned hydrocarbons and particulate matter from a compression ignition engine were examined. The particulate matter emissions were characterized using gravimetric analysis, elemental carbon analysis and transmission electron microscopy. The emissions from an animal fat derived B20 blend were compared to those from petroleum diesel and a soy derived B20 blend. No statistically significant differences were observed between the fuels in the gaseous emissions. Notable differences in engine-out particulate matter emissions characteristics were observed between the B20 blends and the petroleum diesel, but few differences were observed between the B20 blends using animal fat based biodiesel and those using soy based biodiesel. Given very similar engine-out particulate matter and gaseous emissions compositions for animal fat and soy B20 blends, it is suggested that diesel exhaust aftertreatment systems designed to operate with soy biodiesel blends are likely also compatible with animal fat derived biodiesel fuel blends.
CitationKetterer, J., Wallace, J., and Evans, G., "Emissions from Compression Ignition Engines with Animal-Fat-Derived Biodiesel Fuels," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1600, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1600.
- Lapuerta , M. , Armas , O. , and Rodriguez-Fernandez , J. Effect of biodiesel fuels on diesel engine emissions Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 34 2 198 223 2008 10.1016/j.pecs.2007.07.001
- Xue , J. , Grift , T.E. , and Hansen , A.C. Effect of biodiesel on engine performances and emissions Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 15 2 1098 1116 2011 10.1016/j.rser.2010.11.016
- Seidel , B. , Alm , M. , Peters , R. , Kordel , W. et al. Safety evaluation for a biodiesel process using prion-contaminated animal fat as a source Environmental Science and Pollution Research International 13 2 125 130 2006 10.1065/espr2005.08.283
- Lu , J. , Ku , Y. , and Liao , C. The Effects of Biodiesel on the Performance and the Durability of Diesel Engine Active-DPF SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1089 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1089
- Birch , M.E. Occupational monitoring of particulate diesel exhaust by NIOSH method 5040 Applied Occupational and Environmental Hygiene 17 6 400 405 2002 10.1080/10473220290035390
- Yehliu , K. , Vander Wal , R.L. , and Boehman , A.L. Development of an HRTEM image analysis method to quantify carbon nanostructure Combustion and Flame 158 9 1837 1851 2011 10.1016/j.combustflame.2011.01.009
- Henry , C. , Currier , N. , Ottinger , N. , Yezerets , A. et al. Decoupling the Interactions of Hydrocarbons and Oxides of Nitrogen Over Diesel Oxidation Catalysts SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1137 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1137
- Schonborn , A. , Ladommatos , N. , Williams , J. , Allan , R. et al. The influence of molecular structure of fatty acid monoalkyl esters on diesel combustion Combustion and Flame 156 7 1396 1412 2009 10.1016/j.combustflame.2009.03.011
- Vander Wal , R.L. , Yezerets , A. , Currier , N.W. , Kim , D.H. et al. HRTEM Study of diesel soot collected from diesel particulate filters Carbon 45 1 70 77 2007 10.1016/j.carbon.2006.08.005
- Szybist , J.P. , Song , J. , Alam , M. , and Boehman , A.L. Biodiesel combustion, emissions and emission control Fuel Processing Technology 88 7 679 691 2007 10.1016/j.fuproc.2006.12.008
- Boehman , A.L. , Song , J. , and Alam , M. Impact of Biodiesel Blending on Diesel Soot and the Regeneration of Particulate Filters Energy and Fuels 19 5 1857 1864 2005 10.1021/ef0500585