This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Packaging Impact on Emission Catalyst Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Diesel emission aftertreatment system is usually designed to meet stringent packaging constraints, rendering a difficult situation to achieve perfect flow distribution inside the catalytic unit. The non-uniform flow pattern leads to a mal-distribution of flow velocity, temperature, and gas species in catalyst unit. Some catalysts are exposed to harsh working environment, while the rest catalysts are underutilized. This lowers the efficiency of overall catalyst unit and thus requires an oversized system to meet emission requirements. The flow mal-distribution also accelerates the uneven catalyst degradation, lowering the system durability. Hence, a quantitative description of packaging impact on catalyst performance is critical to assess the system efficiency and durability.
In the present work, a mapping method is developed to combine catalyst performance with computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulation. This method is used to analyze the performance and robustness of a SCR aftertreatment system using a series of packaging designs. The simulation results are validated by the engine test. A sensitivity study is carried out over critical parameters, including uniformity index, catalyst size and ANR. The simulation results indicate that an increase in the uniformity of flow velocity and urea distribution leads to an increase in NOx conversion and a decrease in NH3 slip. The benefit of uniform flow pattern becomes more significant as the catalyst system degraded. This methodology could be applied to system with DOC and DPF as well.
CitationLiu, Y., Chen, W., Henrichsen, M., and Harinath, A., "Analysis of Packaging Impact on Emission Catalyst Design," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1560, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1560.
- Girard , J. , Lacin , F. , Hass , C. , and Hodonsky , J. Flow Uniformity Optimization for Diesel Aftertreatment Systems SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1092 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1092
- Zhang , X. and Romzek , M. 3-D Numerical Study of Flow Mixing in Front of SCR for Different Injection Systems SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1578 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1578
- Zhang , X. and Tennison , P. Numerical Study of Flow Uniformity and Pressure Loss Through a Catalytic Converter with Two Substrates SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0614 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0614
- McKinley , T. , Alleyne , A. , and Lee , C. Mixture Non-Uniformity in SCR Systems: Modeling and Uniformity Index Requirements for Steady-State and Transient Operation SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3 1 486 499 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0883
- Tai , P. , Shu , Y. , and Romzek , M. Enhancement of Flow Distribution and Pressure Drop Performance of SCR System for Commercial Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1586 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1586
- Karlsson , M. , Wallin , U. , Fredholm , S. , Jansson , J. et al. A Combined 3D/Lumped Modeling Approach to Ammonia SCR After-treatment Systems: Application to Mixer Designs SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0469 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0469
- Johansson , Å. , Wallin , U. , Karlsson , M. , Isaksson , A. et al. Investigation on Uniformity Indices Used for Diesel Exhaust Aftertreatment Systems SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0613 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0613
- Zhang , X. , Romzek , M. , Keck , M. , and Kurz , F. Numerical Optimization of Flow Uniformity inside Diesel Particular Filters SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3702 2005 10.4271/2005-01-3702
- Munnannur , A. , Cremeens , C. , and Liu , Z. Development of Flow Uniformity Indices for Performance Evaluation of Aftertreatment Systems SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 1545 1555 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1239
- Wilken , N. , Wijayanti , K. , Kamasamudram , K. , Currier , N. , Vedaiyan , R. , Yezerets , A. , Olsson , L. Mechanistic investigation of hydrothermal aging of Cu-Beta for ammonia SCR Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 111-112 2012 58 66
- Kwak , J. , Tran , D. , Burton , S. , Szanyi , J. , Lee , J. , Peden , C. Effects of hydrothemal aging on NH3-SCR reaction over Cu/zeolites Journal of Catalysis 287 2012 203 209
- Andonova , S. , Vovk , E. , Sjoblom , J. , Ozensoy , E. , Olsson , L. Chemical deactivation by phosphorous under lean hydrothermal conditions over Cu/BEA NH3-SCR catalysts Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 147 2014 251 263
- Shwan , S. , Jansson , J. , Olsson , L. , Skoglundh , M. Chemical deavtivation of Fe-BEA as NH3-SCR catalyst-effect of phosphorous Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 147 2014 111 123