This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of New Lean NOx Trap Technology with High Sulfur Resistance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this study several NOx storage materials have been investigated to see their NOx storage properties. And sulfur release properties of these materials have been also investigated. Based on these findings, new LNT catalyst was developed. In this new LNT catalyst Barium is supported on one basic material, and Strontium is coated in the whole catalyst with high dispersion. And it shows higher NOx storage performance against conventional LNT one even though 10g/L of sulfur was introduced to the catalysts.
According to analysis results of new LNT catalyst after sulfur poisoning, it was found that sulfur was mainly adsorbed on Strontium selectively, and then it formed sulfate compound as SrSO4. On the other hand, another sulfate compounds could be hardly observed. And regarding Barium on basic material some analysis measurement said that it has not only better NOx storage function, but also better sulfur release function. The assumption why new LNT catalyst has high sulfur resistance is that Strontium works like scavenger effect against sulfur, therefore it enables to keep higher NOx storage performance by Barium even if it contains much sulfur amount in the catalyst.
CitationUmeno, T., Hanzawa, M., Hayashi, Y., and Hori, M., "Development of New Lean NOx Trap Technology with High Sulfur Resistance," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1526, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1526.
- Matsuo , Y. , Ishimaru , S. , Amano , M. , Komatsu , N. et al. Development of Highly Efficient Lean NOx Catalyst System in Low Exhaust Gas Temperature SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0536 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0536
- Nishioka , H. , Yoshida , K. , Asanuma , T. , and Fukuma , T. Development of Clean Diesel NOx After-treatment System with Sulfur Trap Catalyst SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3 1 30 36 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0303
- Chen , X. and Schwank , J. Investigation on NOx Storage Characteristics and Aging Influence of Lean NOx Trap Model Catalyst BaO-Pt/Al2O3 SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0364 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0364
- Yazawa , Y. , Watanabe , M. , Takeuchi , M. , Imagawa , H. et al. Improvement of NOx Storage-Reduction Catalyst SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1056 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1056
- Yoshida , K. , Asanuma , T. , Nishioka , H. , Hayashi , K. et al. Development of NOx Reduction System for Diesel Aftertreatment with Sulfur Trap Catalyst SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0237 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0237
- Rohr , F. , Peter , S. , Lox , E. , Kögel , M. et al. The Impact of Sulfur Poisoning on NOx-Storage Catalysts in Gasoline Applications SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1113 2005 10.4271/2005-01-1113
- Takahashi , Y. , Takeda , Y. , Kondo , N. , and Murata , M. Development of NOx Trap System for Commercial Vehicle - Basic Characteristics and Effects of Sulfur Poisoning - SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0580 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0580
- Fridell , E. and Skoglundh , M. Model Studies of Sulphur Deactivation of Nox Storage Catalysts SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0080 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0080
- Lei , C. , Shen , M. , Yang , M. , Wang , J. et al. Modified textures and redox activities in Pt/Al 2 O 3 + BaO/Ce x Zr 1-x O 2 model NSR catalysts Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 101 2011 355 365 10.1016/j.apcatb.2010.10.004
- Szailer , T. , Kwak , J. , Kim , D. , Szanyi , J. et al. Effects of Ba loading and calcination temperature on BaAl 2 O 4 formation for BaO/Al 2 O 3 NOx storage and reduction catalysts Catalysis Today 114 2006 86 93 10.1016/j.cattod.2006.02.016
- Su , Y. , Amiridis , M. In situ FTIR studies of the mechanism of NOx storage and reduction on Pt/Ba/Al 2 O 3 catalysts Catalysis Today 96 2004 31 41 10.16/j.cattod.2004.05.005
- Kantcheva , M. , Ciftlikli , R. FTIR Spectroscopic Chatacterization of NOx Species Absorbed on ZrO 2 and ZrO 2 -SO 4 2− J. Phys. Chem. B 2002 106 3941 3949 10.1021/jp013593o
- Stakheev , A. , Gabrielsson , P. , Gekas , I. , and Teleguina , N. et al. Combined XPS and TPR study of sulfur removal from a Pt/BaO/Al 2 O 3 NOx storage reduction catalyst Topics in Catalysis 42-43 2007 143 147 10.1007/s11244-007-0167-1
- Limousy , L. , Mahzoul , H. , Brilhac , J. , Gilot , P. et al. SO 2 sorption on fresh and aged SO x traps Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 42 2003 237 249 10.1016/S0926-3373(02)00235-7