This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of the Aftertreatment Sizing for Pre-Turbo DPF and DOC Exhaust Line Configurations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Pre-turbo aftertreatment systems benefit from an increase of the temperature across the monolith reducing the time up to DOC light-off and reaching better conditions for passive regeneration in the DPF. The engine performance is also improved by reducing the specific fuel consumption. The pumping work diminishes because of the lower aftertreatment pressure drop due to the higher gas density. Additionally, the aftertreatment pressure drop is not multiplied by the turbine expansion ratio to set the engine back-pressure, which becomes lower. It also makes the DPF pressure drop less dependent on the soot mass loading. In this context, the traditional ratio between engine displacement and DOC & DPF volume in post-turbo aftertreatment placement needs to be reviewed in pre-turbo applications as a way to optimize savings in fuel consumption and aftertreatment manufacturing cost.
The effects on engine performance of the DOC and DPF macro-and meso-structure have been compared with results of standard post-turbo aftertreatment location. The work is performed by modeling based on experimental data of post-and pre-turbo aftertreatment configurations in a diesel engine. A reduction in aftertreatment volume close to 50% has been found attainable preserving its performance and without negative effect on fuel consumption. An optimization of the DPF cellular size has been also conducted to reduce further the pressure drop under soot loading conditions for every volume without affecting filtration area, open frontal area fraction and mechanical and thermal integrity. Finally, the advantage that the aftertreatment volume reduction brings is assessed in terms of the effect on the engine transient response under cold wall conditions.
CitationSerrano, J., Guardiola, C., Piqueras, P., and Angiolini, E., "Analysis of the Aftertreatment Sizing for Pre-Turbo DPF and DOC Exhaust Line Configurations," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1498, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1498.
- Sullivan , J.L. , Baker , R.E. , Boyer , B.A. , Hammerle , R.H. et al. CO2 Emission Benefit of Diesel (Versus Gasoline) Powered Vehicles Environmental Science and Technology 38 12 3217 23 2004
- Johnson , T. Vehicular Emissions in Review SAE Int. J. Engines 6 2 699 715 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0538
- Posada , F. , Bandivadekar , A. , and German , J. Estimated Cost of Emission Control Technologies for Light-Duty Vehicles Part 2 - Diesel SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0539 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0539
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Final Rulemaking to Establish Light-Duty Vehicle Greenhouse Gas Emission Standards and Corporate Average Fuel Economy Standards - Joint Technical Support Document, 2010, U.S EPA- Office of Transportation and Air Quality and NHTSA - Office of International Policy, Fuel Economy, and Consumer Programs
- U.S. National Academy of Sciences (NAS) Assessment of Fuel Economy Technologies for Light-Duty Vehicles 2011 The National Academies Press Washington D.C.
- Schuster , H.D. Verminderung der Partikel Emission amb PKW-Motor VDI-Bericht 559 1985
- Mayer , A. , Schmidt , R. , Sudmanns , H. , Mattes , P. et al. Pre-Turbo Application of the Knitted Fiber Diesel Particulate Trap SAE Technical Paper 940459 1994 10.4271/940459
- Joergl , V. , Keller , P. , Weber , O. , Mueller-Haas , K. et al. Influence of Pre Turbo Catalyst Design on Diesel Engine Performance, Emissions and Fuel Economy SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1 1 82 95 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0071
- Subramaniam , M. , Joergl , V. , Keller , P. , Weber , O. et al. Feasibility Assessment of a Pre-turbo After-Treatment System with a 1D Modeling Approach SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1276 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1276
- Subramaniam , M. , Hayes , C. , Tomazic , D. , Downey , M. et al. Pre-Turbo Aftertreatment Position for Large Bore Diesel Engines - Compact & Cost-Effective Aftertreatment with a Fuel Consumption Advantage SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 106 116 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0299
- Payri , F. , Serrano , J. , Piqueras , P. , and García-Afonso , O. Performance Analysis of a Turbocharged Heavy Duty Diesel Engine with a Pre-turbo Diesel Particulate Filter Configuration SAE Int. J. Engines 4 2 2559 2572 2011 10.4271/2011-37-0004
- Bermudez , V. , Serrano , J. , Piqueras , P. , and García-Afonso , Ó. Influence of DPF Soot Loading on Engine Performance with a Pre-Turbo Aftertreatment Exhaust Line SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0362 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0362
- Bermúdez , V. , Serrano , J.R. , Piqueras , P. , and García-Afonso , O. Assessment by Means of Gas Dynamic Modelling of a Pre-turbo Diesel Particulate Filter Configuration in a Turbocharged HSDI Diesel Engine under Full-Load Transient Operation Proc. IMechE Part D: J. Automobile Engineering 225 1134 1155 2011
- Bermudez , V. , Serrano , J.R. , Piqueras , P. , and García-Afonso , O. Analysis of Heavy-Duty Turbocharged Diesel Engine Response under Cold Transient Operation with a Pre-turbo Aftertreatment Exhaust Manifold Configuration International Journal of Engine Research 14 4 341 353 2013
- Carberry , B. , Grasi , G. , Guerin , S. , Jayat , F. et al. Pre-Turbocharger Catalyst - Fast catalyst light-off evaluation SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2142 2005 10.4271/2005-01-2142
- Openwam CMT-Motores Térmicos (Universitat Politècnica de València) www.openwam.org Oct. 2013
- Galindo , J. , Serrano , J.R. , Arnau , F.J. , and Piqueras , P. Description of a Semi-Independent Time Discretization Methodology for a One-Dimensional Gas Dynamics Model J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power 131 034504 2009
- Torregrosa , A.J. , Serrano , J.R. , Arnau , F.J. , and Piqueras , P. A Fluid Dynamic Model for Unsteady Compressible Flow in Wall-Flow Diesel Particulate Filters Energy 36 671 684 2011
- Desantes , J.M. , Serrano , J.R. , Arnau , F.J. , and Piqueras , P. Derivation of the Method of Characteristics for the Fluid Dynamic Solution of Flow Advection Along Porous Wall Channels Applied Mathematical Modelling 36 3134 3152 2012
- Galindo , J. , Serrano , J.R. , Piqueras , P. , and García-Afonso , O. Heat Transfer Modelling in Honeycomb Wall- Flow Diesel Particulate Filters Energy 43 201 213 2012
- Serrano , J.R. , Arnau , F.J. , Piqueras , P. , and García-Afonso , O. Packed Bed of Spherical Particles Approach for Pressure Drop Prediction in Wall-Flow DPFs (Diesel Particulate Filters) Under Soot Loading Conditions Energy 58 644 654 2013
- Mallamo , F. , Longhi , S. , Millo , F. , and Rolando , L. Modeling of Diesel Oxidation Catalysts for Calibration and Control Purpose International Journal of Engine Research 10.1177/146808741342526 2013
- Gulati , S. Cell Design for Ceramic Monoliths for Catalytic Converter Application SAE Technical Paper 881685 1988 10.4271/881685