This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Study of Catalyzed Diesel Particulate Filter with Exhaust Fuel Injection System for Heavy-Duty Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The diesel particulate filter (DPF) is an effective technology for particulate matter (PM) and particle number (PN) reduction. On heavy-duty diesel engines, the passive regeneration by Diesel Oxidation catalysts (DOC) and catalyzed DPFs (CDPF) is widely used for its simplicity and low cost, which is generally combined with the active regeneration of exhaust fuel injection.
This study investigated a DOC-CDPF system with exhaust fuel injection upstream of the DOC. The system was integrated with a 7-liter diesel engine whose engine-out PM emission was below the Euro IV level and tested on an engine dynamometer. PM and PN concentrations were measured based on the Particle Measurement Programme (PMP), and the number/size spectrum for particles was obtained by a Differential Mobility Spectrometer (DMS). The filtration efficiency of DPF on PN was higher than 99% in ESC test, while the efficiency on PM was only 58%. During the active regeneration, a certain amount of diesel fuel was injected into the tailpipe and then oxidized in the DOC. The exotherm of the fuel oxidation, the temperature distribution of the DOC, and the concentrations of gaseous emissions were investigated by analyzing the effects of various factors including fuel injection rate, injector location, DOC inlet temperature and exhaust mass flow rate. Increasing fuel injection rate led to hydrocarbons (HC) slip downstream of the DOC at high space velocity (SV). N2O was generated as a by-product during diesel fuel oxidation in the DOC, especially at the beginning of fuel injection.
CitationTang, T., Cao, D., Zhang, J., Zhao, Y. et al., "Experimental Study of Catalyzed Diesel Particulate Filter with Exhaust Fuel Injection System for Heavy-Duty Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1496, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1496.
- Boger , T. , He , S. , Collins , T. , Heibel , A. et al. A Next Generation Cordierite Diesel Particle Filter with Significantly Reduced Pressure Drop SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 902 912 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0813
- Khair , M. A Review of Diesel Particulate Filter Technologies SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-2303 2003 10.4271/2003-01-2303
- Kittelson , D.B. Engines and nanoparticles: A review Journal of Aerosol Science 29 5-6 575 588 1998 10.1016/S0021-8502(97)10037-4
- Salvat , O. , Marez , P. , and Belot , G. Passenger Car Serial Application of a Particulate Filter System on a Common Rail Direct Injection Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0473 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0473
- Alano , E. , Amon , B. , and Jean , E. Fuel Vaporizer: Alternative Solution for DPF Regeneration SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0561 2010 10.4271/2010- 01-0561
- Gardner , T. , Yetkin , A. , Shotwell , R. , Kotrba , A. et al. Evaluation of a DPF Regeneration System and DOC Performance Using Secondary Fuel Injection SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2884 2009 10.4271/2009- 01-2884
- Symonds , J.P.R. , Reavell , K.S.J. , Olfert , J.S. , Campbell , B.W. et al Diesel soot mass calculation in real-time with a differential mobility spectrometer Journal of Aerosol Science 38 1 52 68 2007 10.1016/j.jaerosci.2006.10.001
- Andersson , J. , Wedekind , B. , Hall , D. , Stradling , R. et al. DETR/SMMT/CONCAWE Particulate Research Programme: Light Duty Results SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3577 2001 10.4271/2001-01-3577
- Giechaskiel , B. , Mamakos , A. , Andersson , J. , Dilara , P. et al. Measurement of Automotive Nonvolatile Particle Number Emissions within the European Legislative Framework: A Review Aerosol Science and Technology 46 7 719 749 2012 10.1080/02786826.2012.661103
- Ohara , E. , Mizuno , Y. , Miyairi , Y. , Mizutani , T. et al. Filtration Behavior of Diesel Particulate Filters (1) SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0921 2007 10.4271/2007- 01-0921
- Kamasamudram , K. , Henry , C. , Currier , N. , and Yezerets , A. N 2 O Formation and Mitigation in Diesel Aftertreatment Systems SAE Int. J. Engines 5 2 688 698 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1085
- Burch , R. , Breen , J.P. , and Meunier , F.C. A review of the selective reduction of NOx with hydrocarbons under lean-burn conditions with non-zeolitic oxide and platinum group metal catalysts Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 39 4 283 303 2002 10.1016/S0926-3373(02)00118-2
- Glover , L. , Douglas , R. , McCullough , G. , Keenan , M. et al. Performance Characterisation of a Range of Diesel Oxidation Catalysts: Effect of Pt:Pd Ratio on Light Off Behaviour and Nitrogen Species Formation SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0193 2011 10.4271/2011-24-0193
- Kotrba , A. , Brockman , A. , Martin , S. , Mikovits , A. et al. Secondary Fuel Injection Layout Influences on DOC-DPF Active Regeneration Performance SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 6 2 539 544 2013 10.4271/2013-01-2465