This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Research of the Primary Breakup of a Planar Liquid Sheet Produced by an Air-Blast Atomizer
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The primary breakup of a planar liquid sheet produced by an air-blast atomizer was studied through numerical simulations, in order to reveal physical mechanisms involved during this process. The reliability of simulations was verified by comparing the macroscopic parameters, e.g. breakup time and spatial growth rate, with experimental data. Shear instability and RT (Rayleigh-Taylor) instability were found to play important roles during the primary breakup. By analyzing the acceleration of a fluid parcel within liquid sheet using Discrete Particle Method, and measuring the wave length of transverse unstable wave, RT instability was found to be partially responsible for transverse instability. The predictions of LISA (Linearized Instability Sheet Atomization) model on breakup time were compared to experiments, and obvious differences were found to exist. By analyzing the velocity distribution around liquid sheet and the variation of the amplitude of unstable wave versus spatial position, the reasons why LISA's predictions differ from experiments were partially revealed, and the perspectives to improve LISA model to get better accuracy were suggested.
CitationZhou, H., Lee, C., and Shuai, S., "Research of the Primary Breakup of a Planar Liquid Sheet Produced by an Air-Blast Atomizer," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1430, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1430.
- Liu , H.-F. , Li , W.-F. , Gong , X. , Cao , X.-K. et al. Effect of liquid jet diameter on performance of coaxial two-fluid airblast atomizers Chemical Engineering and Processing: Process Intensification 45 4 240 245 2006
- Inamura , T. , Miyata , K. , Tamura , H. , and Sakamoto , H. Spray characteristics of swirl coaxial injector and its modeling AIAA Paper 2001 3570 2001
- Kulkarni , V. , Sivakumar , D. , Oommen , C. , and Tharakan , T. J. Liquid sheet breakup in gas-centered swirl coaxial atomizers Journal of Fluids Engineering 132 011303 2010
- Jiang , X. , Siamas , G. A. , Jagus , K. , and Karayiannis , T. G. Physical modelling and advanced simulations of gas-liquid two-phase jet flows in atomization and sprays Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 36 2 131 167 2010
- Gorokhovski , M. , and Herrmann , M. Modeling primary atomization Annu. Rev. Fluid Mech. 40 343 366 2008
- Cousin , J. , Berlemont , A. , Ménard , T. , and Grout , S. Primary breakup simulation of a liquid jet discharged by a low-pressure compound nozzle Computers & Fluids 2012
- Tryggvason , G. , Bunner , B. , Esmaeeli , A. , Juric , D. et al. A front-tracking method for the computations of multiphase flow Journal of Computational Physics 169 2 708 759 2001
- Desjardins , O. , Moureau , V. , and Pitsch , H. An accurate conservative level set/ghost fluid method for simulating turbulent atomization Journal of Computational Physics 227 18 8395 8416 2008
- Park , J. , Huh , K. Y. , Li , X. , and Renksizbulut , M. Experimental investigation on cellular breakup of a planar liquid sheet from an air-blast nozzle Physics of Fluids 16 625 2004
- Movassat , M. Numerical study of primary breakup of liquid sheets Masters Abstracts International 46 3 2007
- Squire , H. B. Investigation of the instability of a moving liquid film Applied Physics 4 167 169 1953 10.1088/0508-3443/4/6/302
- Schmidt , D. P. , Nouar , I. , Senecal , P. , Rutland , C. et al. Pressure-swirl atomization in the near field SAE transactions 108 3 471 484 1999
- Senecal , P. K. , Schmidt , D. P. , Nouar , I. , Rutland , C. J. et al. Modeling high-speed viscous liquid sheet atomization International Journal of Multiphase Flow 25 6 1073 1097 1999
- Dombrowski , N. , and Hopper , P. C. The effect of ambient density on drop formation in sprays Chemical Engineering Science 17 291 305 1962
- Villermaux , E. Mixing and spray formation in coaxial jets Journal of propulsion and power 14 5 807 817 1998
- Chandrasekhar , S. Hydrodynamic and hydromagnetic stability International Series of Monographs on Physics Oxford Clarendon 1961 1 1961