This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation on the Spray Characteristics of DMF- Isooctane Blends using PDPA
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Little research has been done on spray characteristics of 2,5-dimethylfuran (DMF), since the breakthrough in its production method as an alternative fuel candidate. In this paper, the spray characteristics of pure fuels (DMF, Isooctane) and DMF-Isooctane blends under different ambient pressures (1 bar, 3 bar and 7 bar) and injection pressures (50 bar, 100 bar and 150 bar) were studied using Phase Doppler Particle Analyzer (PDPA) and high speed imaging. Droplet velocity, size distribution, spray angle and penetration of sprays were examined. Based on the results, DMF had larger SMD and penetration length than isooctane. The surface tension of fuel strongly influenced spray characteristics. Increasing the surface tension by 26 % resulted in 12 % increase in SMD. Higher ambient pressure increased the drag force, but SMD was not influenced by the increased drag force. However, the increased ambient pressure reduced the injection velocity and We number resulting in higher SMD. High turbulence level from increased injection pressure decreased the SMD of D15 by 20 and 35% when injection pressure was increased to 50 and 150 bar respectively. Higher injection pressures increased the spray angle, when the injection pressure was increased from 50 to 150 bar the spray angle increased from 51.7 degree to 62.9 degree a 21% increase. Also, it was found that the increased ambient pressure did not affect the spray angle. The results presented in this paper can be a valuable source for researchers conducting modeling and numerical simulations.
CitationTu, P., Jiang, C., Ding, H., Li, C. et al., "Investigation on the Spray Characteristics of DMF- Isooctane Blends using PDPA," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1408, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1408.
- Yuriy Roman-Leshkov , Barrett Christopher J. , Liu Zhen Y. , Dumesic James A. Production of dimethylfuran for liquid fuels from biomass-derived carbohydrates Nature 447
- Tian , G. , Li , H. , Xu , H. , Li , Y. et al. Spray Characteristics Study of DMF Using Phase Doppler Particle Analyzer SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 3 1 948 958 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1505
- Ma , X. , Jiang , C. , Xu , H. , and Richardson , S. In-Cylinder Optical Study on Combustion of DMF and DMF Fuel Blends SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1235 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1235
- Wu , X. , Huang , Z. , Wang , X. , Jin , C. et al. Laminar Burning Velocities and Flame Instabilities of 2,5-Dimethylfuran-Air Mixtures at Elevated Pressures Combustion and Flame 158 2011 539 46
- Daniel , R. , Wang , C. , Xu , H. , and Tian , G. Split-Injection Strategies under Full-Load Using DMF, A New Biofuel Candidate, Compared to Ethanol in a GDI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0403 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0403
- Wang , C. , Daniel , R. , and Ma , X. Comparison of Gasoline (ULG), 2,5-Dimethylfuran (DMF) and Bio-Ethanol in a DISI Miller Cycle with Late Inlet Valve Closing Time SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1147 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1147
- Daniel , R. , Wang , C. , Xu , H. , and Tian , G. Effects of Combustion Phasing, Injection Timing, Relative Air-Fuel Ratio and Variable Valve Timing on SI Engine Performance and Emissions using 2,5-Dimethylfuran SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5 2 855 866 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1285
- Jiang , C. , Ma , X. , Xu , H. , and Richardson , S. An Optical Study of DMF and Ethanol Combustion Under Dual-Injection Strategy SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1237 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1237
- Hiroyasu , H. and Arai , M. Structures of Fuel Sprays in Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 900475 1990 10.4271/900475
- Tabata , M. , Fujii , H. , Arai , M and Hiroyasu , H. Mean drop Diameter of a Diesel Spray in Vaporizing process JSME International Journal 34 1991 369 378
- Park , S. H. , Kim , H. J. , Suh , H. K. , and Lee , C. S. Atomization and Spray Characteristics of Bioethanol and Bioethanol Blended Gasoline Fuel Injected through a Direct Injection Gasoline Injector International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow 30 2009 1183 92
- Aleiferis , P. G. , Serras-Pereira , J. , van Romunde , Z. , Caine , J. et al. Mechanisms of Spray Formation and Combustion from a Multi-Hole Injector with E85 and Gasoline Combustion and Flame 157 2010 735 56
- Li , H. , li , C. , Ma , X. , TU , P. et al. Numerical Study of DMF and Gasoline Spray and Mixture Preparation in a GDI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1592 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1592
- Wu , X. , Li , Q. , Fu , J. , Tang , C. et al. Laminar Burning Characteristics of 2,5-Dimethylfuran and Iso-Octane Blend at Elevated Temperatures and Pressures Fuel 95 2012 234 40
- Lefebvre , A. H. Atomization and Sprays Hemisphere Publishing Corporation 1989
- Hemdal , S. , Denbratt , I. , Dahlander , P. , and Warnberg , J. Stratified Cold Start Sprays of Gasoline-Ethanol Blends SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 2 1 683 696 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1496