This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Validation of Fuel Borne Catalyst Technology in Advanced Diesel Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The use of Diesel Particulate Filters (DPFs) as a means to meet ever more stringent worldwide Particulate Matter/ Particle Number (PM/ PN) emissions regulations is increasing. Fuel Borne Catalyst (FBC) technology has now been successfully used as an effective system for DPF regeneration in factory and service fill as well as retrofit applications for several years.
The use of such a technology dictates that it be stable in long term service and that it remains compatible with new and emerging diesel fuel grades. In order to ensure this, neat additive stability data have been generated in a very severe and highly transient temperature cycle and a large selection of current (Winter 2012) market fuels have been evaluated for stability with this FBC technology. Results indicate that FBC technology remains suitable.
The incidence of Internal Diesel Injector Deposits (IDIDs) is increasing, particularly for advanced FIE systems. These deposits generate a variety of field issues that can, in extreme cases, require the fitting of a new set of injectors. IDIDs have been studied using a representative bench engine test (sodium based deposits) and injector rig (ashless polymeric based deposits), whereby baseline deposit formation seen in the field has been shown to be reproducible. The results indicate that the effect of the FBC technology tested is neutral for sodium salt based IDIDs whilst benefits are observed for ashless polymeric IDIDs.
The rigorous FBC testing data reported confirm that appropriate FBC technology can continue to be reliably deployed in the field and, in the tests carried out, can also help prevent issues associated with ashless polymeric IDIDs.
CitationDallanegra, R. and Caprotti, R., "Validation of Fuel Borne Catalyst Technology in Advanced Diesel Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1401, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1401.
- Johnson , T. Vehicular Emissions in Review SAE Int. J. Engines 5 2 216 234 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0368
- Regulation (EC) No 715/2007 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 20 th June 2007 “on type approval of motor vehicles with respect to emission from light passenger and commercial vehicles (Euro 5 and Euro 6) and on access to vehicle repair and maintenance information” Official Journal of the European Union OJ L171/1
- Zhong , D. , He , S. , Tandon , P. , Moreno , M. et al. Measurement and Prediction of Filtration Efficiency Evolution of Soot Loaded Diesel Particulate Filters SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0363 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0363
- Bunting , A. China looks to fuel-borne DPF catalysts Automotive World May 2013
- Internal Infineum Diesel Fuel Survey 2011 2012
- Bao , X. The Status of Diesel Vehicle (Machine) Emission Standard and the Development Trend in China China International Diesel Engine Summit 2013 Beijing, China December 5 6 2013
- Mayer , A. , Czerwinski , J. , Bonsack , P. , Karvonen , L. et al. DPF Systems for High Sulfur Fuels SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0605 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0605
- Richards , P. DPF Technology for Older Vehicles and High Sulphur Fuel SAE Technical Paper 2005-26-020 2005 10.4271/2005-26-020
- Caprotti , R. , Field , I. , Michelin , J. , Schuerholz , S. et al. Development of a Novel DPF Additive SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3165 2003 10.4271/2003-01-3165
- Mayer , A. , Ulrich , A. , Czerwinski , J. , Matter , U. et al. Retention of Fuel Borne Catalyst Particles by Diesel Particle Filter Systems SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0287 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0287
- Mayer , A.C.R. VERT- Verminderung der Emissionen von Real Diesel-motoren im Tunnelbau Ein Verbuntprojekt von SUVA, AUVA, TBG, und BAFU TTM 2000
- Salvat , O. , Marez , P. , and Belot , G. Passenger Car Serial Application of a Particulate Filter System on a Common Rail Direct Injection Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0473 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0473
- Australian National Fuel Standard (Automotive Diesel) Determination 2001
- Ullmann , J. , and Straub , G. Oxidation Stability - Scope and Limitations of Modified RANCIMAT method EN15751 and Future Alternatives The Energy Institute Biofuels Conference Windsor, UK 2008
- Caprotti , R. , Bhatti , N. , and Balfour , G. Deposit Control in Modern Diesel Fuel Injection Systems SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3 2 901 915 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2250
- Caprotti , R. , Breakspear , A. , Graupner , O. , and Klaua , T. Detergency Requirements of Future Diesel Injection Systems SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3901 2005 10.4271/2005-01-3901
- Leedham , A. , Caprotti , R. , Graupner , O. , and Klaua , T. Impact of Fuel Additives on Diesel Injector Deposits SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2935 2004 10.4271/2004-01-2935
- Graupner , O. , Klaua , T. , Caprotti , R. , Breakspear , A. et al. Injector Deposit Test for Modern Diesel Engines the TAE Symposium Stuttgart, Germany 2005
- Ulmann , J. , Geduldig , M. , Stutzenberger , H. , Caprotti , R. et al. Effects of Fuel Impurities and Additive Interactions on the Formation of Internal Diesel Injector Deposits the TAE 7th International Colloquium Fuels Esslingen 2009
- Schwab , S. , Bennett , J. , Dell , S. , Galante-Fox , J. et al. Internal Injector Deposits in High-Pressure Common Rail Diesel Engines SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3 2 865 878 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2242
- Westbrook , S.R. Analysis of Some Unusual Diesel fuel Contaminants 9th International Filtration Conference, Paper IFC09-015 2008
- Ulmann , J. , and Stutzenberger , H. Internal Diesel Injector Deposit Formation - Reproduction in Laboratory, System Bench and Engine Tests TAE 9th International Colloquium Fuels Esslingen 2013
- Reid , J. and Barker , J. Understanding Polyisobutylene Succinimides (PIBSI) and Internal Diesel Injector Deposits SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2682 2013 10.4271/2013-01-2682
- Lacey , P. , Gail , S. , Kientz , J. , Milovanovic , N. et al. Internal Fuel Injector Deposits SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5 1 132 145 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1925
- Lacey , P. , Gail , S. , Kientz , J. , Benoist , G. et al. Fuel Quality and Diesel Injector Deposits SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5 3 1187 1198 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1693