This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Ethanol on Performance and Exhaust Emissions from a DI Spark Ignition Engine with Throttled and Unthrottled Operations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In recent years, in order to develop more efficient and cleaner gasoline engines, a number of new engine operating strategies have been proposed and many have been studied on different engines but there is a lack of comparison between various operating strategies and alternative fuels at different SI modes. In this research, a single cylinder direct injection gasoline engine equipped with an electro-hydraulic valve train system has been commissioned and used to study and compare different engine operation modes. In this work, the fuel consumption, gaseous and particulate emissions of gasoline and its mixture with ethanol (E15 and E85) were measured and analysed when the engine was operated at the same load but with different load control methods by an intake throttle, reduced intake valve duration, and positive overlap.
CitationOjapah, M., Zhao, H., and Zhang, Y., "Effects of Ethanol on Performance and Exhaust Emissions from a DI Spark Ignition Engine with Throttled and Unthrottled Operations," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1393, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1393.
- Zhao H. Advanced direct injection combustion engine technologies and development, Volume 1: gasoline and gas engines Woodhead Publishing cambridge 2010
- Flierl , R. and Klüting , M. The Third Generation of Valvetrains - New Fully Variable Valvetrains for Throttle-Free Load Control SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1227 2000 10.4271/2000-01-1227
- Sturman , O. E. Hydraulic Actuator for an Internal Combustion Engine U.S. Petent, 5 638 781 1997
- Henry , R. and Lequesne , B. A Novel, Fully Flexible, Electro-Mechanical Engine Valve Actuation System SAE Technical Paper 970249 1997 10.4271/970249
- Price , P. , Stone , R. , Misztal , J. , Xu , H. et al. Particulate Emissions from a Gasoline Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0209 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0209
- Graskow , B. , Kittelson , D. , Ahmadi , M. , and Morris , J. Exhaust Particulate Emissions from a Direct Injection Spark Ignition Engine SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1145 1999 10.4271/1999-01-1145
- Maricq , M. , Podsiadlik , D. , Brehob , D. , and Haghgooie , M. Particulate Emissions from a Direct-Injection Spark- Ignition (DISI) Engine SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1530 1999 10.4271/1999-01-1530
- Dimou , I. , Kar , K. , and Cheng , W. Particulate Matter Emissions from a Direct Injection Spark Ignition Engine under Cold Fast Idle Conditions for Ethanol-Gasoline Blends SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 1738 1746 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1305
- DeCarlo P F. , Slowik J G. , Worsnop D R. , Davidotis P. and Jimenez J L. Particle Morphology and Density Characterisation by Combined Mobility and Aerodynamic Diameter Measurements. Part 1: Theory Aerosol Sci. Technol. 38 2004
- Slowik J G. , Stainken K. , Davidovits P. , Williams L R. , Jayne J T. , Kolb C E. , Worsnop D R. , Rudich Y. , DeCarlo P F and Jimenez J L. Particle Morphology and Density Characterisation by Combined Mobility and Aerodynamic Diameter Measurements. Part 2: Application to Combustion Generated Soot Aerosols as a function of Fuel Equivalence Ratio Aerosol Sci.Technol. 38 2004
- Khalek , I. , Bougher , T. , and Jetter , J. Particle Emissions from a 2009 Gasoline Direct Injection Engine Using Different Commercially Available Fuels SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3 2 623 637 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2117
- Hedge , M. , Weber , P. , Gingrich , J. , Alger , T. et al. Effect of EGR on Particle Emissions from a GDI Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 650 666 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0636
- Kittleson D B. Engines and Nanoparticles: A Review J. Aerosol Sci. 29 5/6 1998
- Richard van B. Gasoline Engine with Direct Injection
- Eastwood P. Particulate Emissions from Vehicles 2008
- Heywood J B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals 1988