This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Stochastic Knock Detection, Control, Software Integration, and Evaluation on a V6 Spark-Ignition Engine under Steady-State Operation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The ability to operate a spark-ignition (SI) engine near the knock limit provides a net reduction of engine fuel consumption. This work presents a real-time knock control system based on stochastic knock detection (SKD) algorithm. The real-time stochastic knock control (SKC) system is developed in MATLAB Simulink, and the SKC software is integrated with the production engine control strategy through ATI's No-Hooks. The SKC system collects the stochastic knock information and estimates the knock level based on the distribution of knock intensities fitting to a log-normal (LN) distribution. A desired knock level reference table is created under various engine speeds and loads, which allows the SKC to adapt to changing engine operating conditions. In SKC system, knock factor (KF) is an indicator of the knock intensity level. The KF is estimated by a weighted discrete FIR filter in real-time. Both offline simulation and engine dynamometer test results show that stochastic knock control with fixed length of finite impulse response (FIR) filter has slow and excessive retard issue when a significant knock event happens. To enhance the knock control response, an integrated feed-forward and feedback knock control strategy is employed. For the heavy knock events, a combination of gain scheduling and a fast retard is applied based on the detected KF. In addition, a variable length FIR filter is used to reduce the number of combustion cycles for KF estimation. The performance of the developed knock detection and control system is evaluated on a V6 3.5L turbocharged engine on a dynamometer test stand.
CitationLuo, W., Chen, B., Naber, J., and Glugla, C., "Stochastic Knock Detection, Control, Software Integration, and Evaluation on a V6 Spark-Ignition Engine under Steady-State Operation," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1358, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1358.
- Heywood , J. B. Internal combustion engine fundamentals 930 McGraw-Hill New York 1988
- Bosch Gasoline-Engine Management Robert Bosch GmbH 2006
- Naber , J. , Blough , J. , Frankowski , D. , Goble , M. et al. Analysis of Combustion Knock Metrics in Spark-Ignition Engines SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0400 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0400
- Zhu , G. , Haskara , I. , and Winkelman , J. , Stochastic Limit Control and Its Application to Knock Limit Control Using Ionization Feedback SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0018 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0018
- Giglio , V. , Police , G. , Rispoli , N. , di Gaeta , A. et al. Experimental Investigation on the Use of Ion Current on SI Engines for Knock Detection SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2745 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2745
- Abhijit and Naber , J.D. Ionization Signal Response during Combustion Knock and Comparison to Cylinder Pressure for SI Engines SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Electron. Electr. Syst. 1 1 349 364 2009 10.4271/2008-01-0981
- Pipitone , E. and D'Acquisto , L. Development of a low-cost piezo film-based knock sensor Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 217 691 699 2003
- Lonari , Y. , Polonowski , C. , Naber , J. , and Chen , B. , Stochastic Knock Detection Model for Spark Ignited Engines SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1421 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1421
- Wu , G. , A Real Time Statistical Method for Engine Knock Detection SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1507 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1507
- Zhu , G. G. , Haskara , I. and Winkelman , J. , Closed-Loop Ignition Timing Control for SI Engines Using Ionization Current Feedback Control Systems Technology, IEEE Transactions 15 416 427 2007
- Haskara , I. , Zhu , G. , and Winkelman , J. , IC Engine Retard Ignition Timing Limit Detection and Control using In-Cylinder Ionization Signal SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2977 2004 10.4271/2004-01-2977
- Peyton Jones , J. , Muske , K. , Frey , J. , and Scholl , D. , A Stochastic Knock Control Algorithm SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1017 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1017
- Jones , J. C. P. , Frey , J. , Muske , K. R. and Scholl , D. J. A cumulative-summation-based stochastic knock controller Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 224 969 983 2010
- Stotsky , A. A. Statistical engine knock modelling and adaptive control Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 222 429 439 March 1 2008
- Lonari , Y. , Stochastic Knock Detection Model for Spark Ignited Engines M.S. thesis, Mechanical Engineering Michigan Technological University Houghton 2011