This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Individual Cylinder IMEP Estimation using a Single Cylinder Pressure Sensor for Light-duty Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper, we proposed an estimation model for the Indicated Mean Effective Pressure (IMEP) which means the generated torque by the combustion with using only a single cylinder pressure sensor. The IMEP of each cylinder leads the rotational crankshaft acceleration. Based on the rotational dynamics, we can determine an empirical model structure between IMEP and crankshaft acceleration to estimate the IMEP of an individual cylinder. The proposed model calculates the IMEP of an individual cylinder by applying the IMEP obtained from a single pressure sensor and crankshaft acceleration. Consequently, the proposed estimation method can be used for combustion control with cost affordable equipment. In addition, it is beneficial for a real-time system because the calculation time of IMEP of other cylinders can be eliminated. The proposed model is validated through the engine experiment.
CitationMin, K., Chung, J., Kang, E., and Sunwoo, M., "Individual Cylinder IMEP Estimation using a Single Cylinder Pressure Sensor for Light-duty Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1347, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1347.
- Lee, B., Rizzoni, G., Guezennec, Y., Soliman, A. et al., “Engine Control Using Torque Estimation,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0995, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-0995.
- Kim, D., et al., Cylinder Pressure based Real-Time IMEP Estimation of Diesel Engines. 2009. 17(2): p. 118-125.
- Schiefer, D., Maennel, R., and Nardoni, W., “Advantages of Diesel Engine Control Using In-Cylinder Pressure Information for Closed Loop Control,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0364, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-0364.
- Rizzoni, G., et al., Engine control using torque estimation. 2005, Google Patents.
- Heywood, J.B., Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals. 1988, New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Oh, S., et al., Real-time IMEP estimation and control using an in-cylinder pressure sensor for a common-rail direct injection diesel engine. Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 2011. 133(6).
- Katrasnik, T., et al., A New Criterion to Determine the Start of Combustion in Diesel Engine. ASME Conference Proceedings, 2004. 2004(37467): p. 235-241.
- Azzoni, P.M., et al., Indicated and Load Torque Estimation using Crankshaft Angular Velocity Measurement. 1999.
- Hamedović, H., et al., IMEP-Estimation and In-Cylinder Pressure Reconstruction for Multicylinder SI-Engine by Combined Processing of Engine Speed and One Cylinder Pressure. 2005.
- Hellström, M., Engine speed based estimation of the indicated engine torque. 2005, Linköping.
- Chauvin, J., et al., Periodic input estimation for linear periodic systems: Automotive engine applications. Automatica, 2007. 43(6): p. 971-980.
- Park, I., Lee, W., and Sunwoo, M., Application Software Modeling and Integration Methodology using AUTOSAR-ready Light Software Architecture. Transaction of the Korean Society of Automotive Engineers, 2012. 20(6): p. 117-125.
- Lee, K.,et al., AUTOSAR-ready Light Software Architecture for Automotive Embedded Control Systems. Transaction of the Korean Society of Automotive Engineers, 2013. 21(1): p. 68-77.